Author Topic: space exploration or not?  (Read 7855 times)

Alpha

Re: space exploration or not?
« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2009, 05:37:14 am »
@Lone$tar

Hydrogen is not salable from space. Firstly, moon does not have hydrogen in its atmosphere. Secondly, hydrogen is not needed for our survival.  Tongue Sun is too dangerous as it is too hot for us. Nobody will want to buy sun! Tongue I was just talking about our moon, about which we know the most and which is the least farthest from us also, easy for us to explore.

Why not? Hydrogen is a molecule of water. Hydrogen is used extensively here. What you call "dangerous" is our PRIME source of life!
Anyway, those were just rhetorical questions.  ;)

You misunderstood me! Suppose that NASA today is the explorer of the moon. There are also many others. The EU set up a space exploration agency to prevent the monopoly of the USA in this field. Even Bangladesh has started a project which involves building a rocket and researching space and moon by 2015. The whole 'space' is not 'cornered' entirely by NASA or any other agency. Your belief is mistaken.

Monopolies are good when checked by law.I know very well that the NASA is not the only centre exploring space. It was just an example; I cited the pioneer.  ;)

IF space stations join together to pool their resources, share their skills, knowledge and expertise (like the International Space Station, for example) to bring to moderate use what they can find in space to ensure our survival here on Earth, THEN I find nothing wrong.
BUT IF each country on its own tries to "make business" out of space material, then I find everything wrong.

Exploring space is a HUGE, MASSIVE investment. Exploiting space is a CATASTROPHIC one. It is highly improbable for one country, let alone one entrepreneur, to be self sufficient in exploiting spacial resources. Where then does "making business" come in? And even if it does, where is the idea of competition and value for money??

You mentioned that they are selling lands to us. If it becomes easy to lead life in moon, they will sell these land in more quantities to us, in order to cover their huge cost of space exploration. As they are selling land to us, we will be able to claim those land once moon becomes completely livable.

Of course, business minded people WILL DEFINITELY do everything to cover their huge cost.
But what makes you think that they will sell these lands in greater quantities to us? The Moon is UNIQUE, it is SCARCE; living there is a CHALLENGE; it is OUTSIDE this world; more than a planet; it is a SATELLITE; a place UNAFFECTED by our daily humdrum activities; a DREAM for some; an ESCAPE from our shrinking world; it will soon become a NECESSITY if our Earthly problems are not solved.
To increase the supply of plots on the Moon is sheer craziness! (By the way, CAN moon land be increased?)
On the contrary, businessmen will shoot up prices, making the 'Moon Business' a demand v/s supply battle where the ravages of prices will be similar to those of missiles.

What I am talking about is that Land on the moon will probably be a very good investment if a serious problem occurs on earth (provided that condition 1 has been met).

Your condition 1 says:
In case you haven't noticed, I assumed that human is in such a stage that in 10-20 years of time, they will be able to travel to moon with ease and will be able to live there with ease. I am sure they will be.

I am very sure that the Moon will not be an easily habitable place after 100-200 years of time.

We always think for the short term. Think - if the effects of greenhouse warming occurs to the extent that even developed countries are flooded, or world war III occurs, people will look for alternative means of living. Suddenly, we can sell the land which we bought beforehand, at much higher prices to the rich citizens at that time who will be able to afford and go to moon and start a new life afresh, far from the calamities of the earth.

No, we always mistake our thinking-- we believe that we always think about the long term while, darn, we have no notion of the time continuity at all!
Our short-sighted eyes can barely glance at what lies far beyond the time period that we define as "long term".

The Greenhouse Effect, Global Warming, Wars-- where do all these problems spring from? If today our planet is on the verge of destruction, because of WHAT is it? If plants and animals are in danger, WHY are they? If life is going towards extinction, WHAT is the cause for it?
In one word, because of MAN.
Man is the root of all problems, and you think planting this root on the Moon will help avoid problems? Already the Moon independently does not support any form of life, unlike our old Earth. The Moon does not inhabit plants and animals-- our food sources. It has no exposure to sunlight for sufficiently long, regular periods of time. And you think Man, the race which has disturbed Earth's ecological system, will be able to live in harmony with the Moon's nature? Taking a matchstick from a firecrackers' packet to keep it in a dynamite box helps to avoid a fire?

Halt there! "To the rich citizens of that time"? What about the poor people?? Agree, they don't have money. But don't they have lives? Where will these people go? I guess, homes on the Moon.  :P Taking into account current situations, one third of the world's population will make homes on the Moon for the two thirds who do not have enough to eat? 6 billion people will fit on a satellite four times smaller than our Earth? This planning has a big problem.

We need to use spacial resources to prevent these calamities-- for the SURVIVAL of mankind-- not to "make business". We need to use them to solve our problems HERE, not to bring our problems THERE.

It is good as long as we make profit and offers good return into the future - Thats what I understand! You may have a different opinion.

Yes, I have a different opinion. I don't understand where "social responsibility" is lost. Business is not good as long it is more destructive for the majority. In business language, as long as external costs are higher than private benefits.

We humans as being the best creature has been entitled to everything which is in the universe.

We humans, "the best creatures", are still and will continue to be dependent on the other creatures for our own survival. We humans have not created the Universe and all that it contains. We humans are not entitled the right to carry our universal ignorance into space and mess up there like we have messed up here on Earth (especially when we cannot make up for it).

It is our right to go and explore the moon!!! You must understand this!

The Moon is not a chocolate bar on a supermarket shelf whose fate has been thrown to thousands of famished hands. The Moon is OUR ONLY natural heritage. It is one of the unmatchable beauties belonging to our Earth, the property of OUR WHOLE PLANET and all the people who inhabit this planet COLLECTIVELY. How many of us would want to find a concrete jungle on the Moon while gazing at the starry sky at night? It is NOT our right to go and destroy the Moon!!! You must not forget this!

I'm assuming that you are 'against' this debate (ie do not want space exploration)

You've read the previous posts?

There is a whole universe's difference between space exploration and space exploitation.
I am not against moderate exploitation. I am against over-exploitation.

N.B. There is no debate if there is no contradicting opinion.  ;)

Offline staceyboy3

• SF Geek
« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2009, 12:52:06 pm »
Yes, we do have poor people in the world. I do feel sorry for them.

How are we going to solve the problems here? We have charities and so on... but is that enough?
Relax, enjoy and be LAZY!

Alpha

« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2009, 01:16:07 pm »
Yes, we do have poor people in the world. I do feel sorry for them.

How are we going to solve the problems here? We have charities and so on... but is that enough?

Read the previous posts... That should be enough.  ;D

Offline staceyboy3

• SF Geek
« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2009, 01:42:16 pm »
Read the previous posts... That should be enough.  ;D

Äääh. They're too long, can't be bothered to read :P

I guess man does have the power to change, so that they won't make mistakes or cause problems. If we get the right people to organize everything for life on another planet, it should be ok.

The moon is not a realistic place to habit. Only if enough buildings were built to contain air that we can breathe, then maybe.
Relax, enjoy and be LAZY!

Alpha

« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2009, 02:03:10 pm »
Äääh. They're too long, can't be bothered to read :P

I guess man does have the power to change, so that they won't make mistakes or cause problems. If we get the right people to organize everything for life on another planet, it should be ok.

The moon is not a realistic place to habit. Only if enough buildings were built to contain air that we can breathe, then maybe.

I would prefer to repeat: Read again.  ;)

Than to rewrite everything... THAT is long.  :P  :)

Offline $tyli$h Executive

• Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2009, 02:14:51 am »
@~Alpha: e-debating with you is more fun and more interesting than I thought it would be!!!  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 02:28:35 am by Lone$tar »

Alpha

« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2009, 02:22:53 pm »
@~Alpha: e-debating with you is more fun and more interesting than I thought it would be!!!  ;D ;D

Thank you for the compliment.  :)

It is fun and interesting as long as I have members who participate actively, like you, Master (who vanished, LOL) & Omer!  ;)

Offline O.T.13.

• SF V.I.P
« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2009, 10:05:40 pm »

Thank you for the compliment.  :)

It is fun and interesting as long as I have members who participate actively, like you, Master (who vanished, LOL) & Omer!  ;)

lol thanks, and master, well thats how hes always been, always away but never gone  :D
Nothing is worse than being surrounded by people and yet you still feel lonely

Offline astarmathsandphysics

• SF Overlord
  • Free the exam papers!
« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2009, 10:24:22 pm »
I will harfly be here for a month too

Alpha

« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2009, 04:36:41 am »
LOL, Omer...

That's how I will be too as soon as school starts!  ;D

Astar, a month...? After you will start working?  ;)

Offline O.T.13.

• SF V.I.P
« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2009, 10:46:26 am »
LOL, Omer...

That's how I will be too as soon as school starts!  ;D

Astar, a month...? After you will start working?  ;)

you're on vacation too?! niceee  :D
Nothing is worse than being surrounded by people and yet you still feel lonely

Offline Ahmed Auda

« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2010, 05:49:11 pm »
i think we need to know our own planet before going on to space, what about the sea, oceans and stuff, people are finding sea creatures that have been thought to be extinct, sometimes we have to walk before we run.

Alpha

« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2010, 01:47:31 am »
i think we need to know our own planet before going on to space, what about the sea, oceans and stuff, people are finding sea creatures that have been thought to be extinct, sometimes we have to walk before we run.

And sometimes you need to go out to find what's lacking inside.  :)