Author Topic: Its good to have a hole in the ozone layer  (Read 1532 times)

Offline SGVaibhav

• SF Farseer
  • Bugatti Veyron 16.4
Its good to have a hole in the ozone layer
« on: January 08, 2010, 03:11:10 pm »
ozone layer, containing O3 is actually a greenhouse gas, and leads to greenhouse effect
greenhouse effect is caused by all greenhouse gases which trap heat in the earth's atmosphere and keep it warm.

O3 and water vapour are major greenhouse gases found in the atmosphere of earth.

So if there was no greenhouse gas, the earth would be like 30 deg C cooler than today (that means it would have been frozen)

now global warming is like excessive heating.
so we have to slow that
so now where ever they have found a hole in the ozone layer, the place is found out to be cooler than before. (which is good, because it somehow keeps the earth cooler in some region)

now i was reading a article on aviation and the environment.

these all gases r produced by the plane in the atmosphere (altitude can be very high at times)

Carbon dioxide (CO2)

Oxides of nitrogen (NOx)
    At the high altitudes flown by large jet airliners around the tropopause, emissions of NOx are particularly effective in forming ozone (O3) in the upper troposphere. High altitude (8-13km) NOx emissions result in greater concentrations of O3 than surface NOx emissions, and these in turn have a greater global warming effect. The effect of O3 concentrations are regional and local (as opposed to CO2 emissions, which are global).

NOx emissions also reduce ambient levels of methane, another greenhouse gas, resulting in a climate cooling effect. But this effect does not offset the O3 forming effect of NOx emissions. It is now believed that aircraft sulfur and water emissions in the stratosphere tend to deplete O3, partially offsetting the NOx-induced O3 increases. These effects have not been quantified. This problem does not apply to aircraft that fly lower in the troposphere, such as light aircraft or many commuter aircraft.

Water vapor (H2O)

Particulates

So O3 is actually produced, but now it is actually that less O3 is better :D

what do u think (do u want O3 or not?)

Alpha

Re: Its good to have a hole in the ozone layer
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 04:27:22 am »
Hey join in the "Deception" topic, if you can...

You wanted to give it a try... I can debate before studies start seriously.

Try there if you want.  :)

And sorry, my post was not related to Global Warming.  :-\

Offline astarmathsandphysics

• SF Overlord
  • Free the exam papers!
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 11:11:43 am »
We can see the sky through it

Alpha

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 12:23:49 pm »
We can see the sky through it

LOL, nice one :D we can see the space, you mean... The sky will have windows.  :D

Offline $tyli$h Executive

• Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 04:19:18 am »
Ozone is necessary. Otherwise we would have skin cancer due to ultraviolet rays.

Offline Assi1993

• SF Senior Citizen
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 10:54:09 am »
itz necessary ofcourse..
destroying it would be against nature !!
and dont destroy what u cant fix.............
!

Offline SGVaibhav

• SF Farseer
  • Bugatti Veyron 16.4
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2010, 09:43:32 am »
But then ozone is a greenhouse gas again, it was useful decades ago, when we humans were not producing CO2 and other greenhouse gases. so now we r producing so much greenhouse gases such as CO2 and methane and ....,,, less of ozone is better

it was useful decades ago, because we (repeating again), were not producing greenhouse gases,, so for the EARTH to REMAIN warm, greenhouse GASES r required -- less of it is harmfull, as it will freeze the earth -- more of it is harmful, because, it will heat the earth, and trigger many chain  reactions (these chain reactions fall little out of the topic, so i will not explain them.)

also, in places of ozone hole (antartica) - it has been found out that these places r cooling more than usual (global cooling / global dimming) so it is usefull again to have less of it :P :D :D

Offline angell

• SF Senior Citizen
  • -cuz it aint ever good enuf to be true!
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2010, 12:31:16 pm »
I think vaibhav really really wants to be swimming in the glacier sea that will be created if the ozone gets depleted - because that's what will happen, sea levels will rise by an approximate of 20m.. thousands of lives and civilizations will be destroyed as heat levels rise - it could mean the end of mankind, as we know it.

oh churiyaan charha dey..
oh mehndiya kara dey..
oh jhanjara pawan dey...
On the dance floor oh mundiye...Nach Baliye!

--~*O yaara dhol bajaake.. O yaara jashan mana ke!!

-----------------------------------------

Offline SGVaibhav

• SF Farseer
  • Bugatti Veyron 16.4
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010, 01:44:06 pm »
I think vaibhav really really wants to be swimming in the glacier sea that will be created if the ozone gets depleted - because that's what will happen, sea levels will rise by an approximate of 20m.. thousands of lives and civilizations will be destroyed as heat levels rise - it could mean the end of mankind, as we know it.

did'nt u read my post properly??
its a greenhouse gas!!