Author Topic: Creation of blackhole? Safe or not  (Read 1568 times)

nid404

Creation of blackhole? Safe or not
« on: September 30, 2009, 06:23:10 pm »

rfi

Re: Creation of blackhole? Safe or not
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 04:55:02 pm »
not a black hole mate...
cmon

these guys are currently trying to isolate and gather Higgs Boson particles.

people talk about how they're trying to make antimatter (uhh one of dan brown's books). fake of course (they did have antimatter made, but just a few particles)

but cmon

a black hole?

that is TOTALLY far fetched. out by light years.
complete fabricated rumour.

Offline DragonicWolf

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 11:58:01 am »
Ppsh, almost everything that humans do are unsafe.

Offline falafail

• SF Master
  • ab3'a 7asheesh
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 12:16:45 pm »
Ppsh, almost everything that humans do are unsafe.

aha, seriously. ::)

Offline Karan

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 08:02:45 am »
I don't understand this silly talk of black holes either. The LHC was created to try to discover new subatomic particles, not to create a black hole. It was said that it might be possible to create an exotic particle with unpredictable characteristics (about a one in a few billion chance). Some conspiracy nut (who probably can't tell you what a hadron even is) went and turned it into a black hole for some reason... and seriously hurt the project's public image, as I can see from these posts in discussion boards across the internet.
The desire for knowledge, like the thirst for riches, increases ever with the acquisition of it.

Offline SGVaibhav

• SF Farseer
  • Bugatti Veyron 16.4
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2009, 03:08:18 pm »
blackholes cannot be created.
i dont know where i read it, but i remember what i read :)

1) to create blackholes, a very large amount of gravitational collapse is required, so large, that the gravitational collapse of earth is also not possible to create a black hole

Offline SGVaibhav

• SF Farseer
  • Bugatti Veyron 16.4
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2009, 03:12:25 pm »
Well, first, let me assure you that the Sun has no intention of doing any such thing. Only stars that weigh considerably more than the Sun end their lives as black holes. The Sun is going to stay roughly the way it is for another five billion years or so. Then it will go through a brief phase as a red giant star, during which time it will expand to engulf the planets Mercury and Venus, and make life quite uncomfortable on Earth (oceans boiling, atmosphere escaping, that sort of thing). After that, the Sun will end its life by becoming a boring white dwarf star. If I were you, I'd make plans to move somewhere far away before any of this happens. I also wouldn't buy any of those 8-billion-year government bonds.

But I digress. What if the Sun *did* become a black hole for some reason? The main effect is that it would get very dark and very cold around here. The Earth and the other planets would not get sucked into the black hole; they would keep on orbiting in exactly the same paths they follow right now. Why? Because the horizon of this black hole would be very small -- only about 3 kilometers -- and as we observed above, as long as you stay well outside the horizon, a black hole's gravity is no stronger than that of any other object of the same mass.

FOUND THE ARTICLE

http://cfpa.berkeley.edu/Education/BHfaq.html
read the part (What if the Sun became a black hole?)
also this part is little interesting [i found it, not sure about others] (How do black holes evaporate?)

Offline thebestbev

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2009, 10:11:32 pm »
"But I digress. What if the Sun *did* become a black hole for some reason? The main effect is that it would get very dark and very cold around here. The Earth and the other planets would not get sucked into the black hole; they would keep on orbiting in exactly the same paths they follow right now. Why? Because the horizon of this black hole would be very small -- only about 3 kilometers -- and as we observed above, as long as you stay well outside the horizon, a black hole's gravity is no stronger than that of any other object of the same mass."

We may not get sucked into it but we certainly wouldnt stay orbiting around the same point. We orbit around the sun due to the size of the sun and the gravity because of that. Were the sun to disappear then the orbit of the planets would change. Especially as you're saying that the horizon of the black hole would be only 3km wide. There would be little gravitational pull if this were the case and the planets would go into a different orbit.

Offline SGVaibhav

• SF Farseer
  • Bugatti Veyron 16.4
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2009, 04:57:26 am »
it cannot happen but
rare case.

also gravity is the WEAKEST FORCE of NATURE (if u dont believe, ask someone who has taken physics [astar :D]). it is the WEAKEST FORCE of NATURE, but the MOST LONG RANGE FORCE in NATURE.
it has extremely long range.