Author Topic: honor killing  (Read 1386 times)

nid404

honor killing
« on: September 27, 2009, 06:03:05 pm »
What do you think about this??
In April 2008 it came to light that some months prior, a Saudi woman was killed by her father for chatting on Facebook to a man. The murder only came to light when a Saudi cleric referred to the case in an attempt to demonstrate the strife that the website causes.
A June 2008 Report by the Turkish Prime Ministry's Human Rights Directorate, says that in Istanbul alone, there is one honor killing every week; and reports over 1,000 during the last 5 years. It adds that metropolitan cities are the location of many of these.
UNICEF reported that in the Gaza strip and the West bank that "According to 1999 estimates, more than two-thirds of all murders were most likely 'honour' killings."
In 2003 James Emery (adjunct professor of anthropology at Metropolitan State College of Denver and expert on Afghan politics and the Taliban) wrote: In the Palestinian communities of the West Bank, Gaza Strip, Israel, and Jordan, women are executed in their homes, in open fields, and occasionally in public, sometimes before crowds of cheering onlookers. Honor killings account for virtually all of the murders of Palestinian women in these areas.
As many as 133 women were killed in the Iraqi city of Basra alone in 2006—79 for violation of "Islamic teachings" and 47 for honor killings, according to IRIN, the news branch of the U.N.'s Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs. Amnesty International claims honor killings are also conducted by armed groups, not the government, upon politically active women and those who did not follow a strict dress code, as well as women who are perceived as human rights defenders.
Jordan, considered one of the most liberal countries in the Middle East still witnesses instances of honor killings. In Jordan there is minimal gender discrimination and women are permitted to vote but men receive reduced sentences for killing their wives or female family members if they have brought dishonor to their family. Families often have sons who are considered minors, under the age of 18, to commit the honor killings.

In 2005 Der Spiegel magazine reports: 'In the past four months, six Muslim women living in Berlin have been brutally murdered by family members', and goes on to cover the case of Hatun Sürücü - killed by her brother for not staying with her husband of forced marriage, but of 'living like a German'. Precise statistics on how many women die every year in such honor killings are hard to come by, as many crimes are never reported, said Myria Boehmecke of the Tuebingen-based women's group Terre des Femmes which, among other things, tries to protect Muslim girls and women from oppressive families. The Turkish women's organization Papatya has documented 40 instances of honor killings in Germany since 1996.
Hatun Sürücü's brother and murderer, was convicted of murder and jailed for nine years and three months by a German court in 2006
Most honour killings revolve around run-away marriages or relationships between two people from different castes. There were several instances of a groom or bride being killed by irate family members for marrying someone from a so-called lower caste.

In another instance, a woman from Uttar Pradesh who belonged to a caste of barbers -- considered by traditional Hindu society as one of the lower castes --was repeatedly raped and finally killed by a group of higher caste Yadav men.

Her crime? Her son had married a girl from the socially and economically more prosperous Yadav caste.

This is really bad

Do you think it is right to punish a person for falling in love with someone who is of a different caste??
Such an old mindset some ppl have......what a shame that parents themselves are killing their children....isn't it a heinous crime...such fanatics
« Last Edit: September 27, 2009, 06:21:01 pm by nid404 »

Offline Zain-Xa

• SF Overlord
  • I got an "I <3 ?" written at the back of my hand
Re: honor killing
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 07:43:15 pm »
cant read now too long :S

any summary ?
What can I do, to make it right
Falling so hard so fast this time
What did I say, what did you do?
How did I fall in love with you?

zzzzzZZZZZZzzzzzzzzz

I'll be strong.. I'll be wrong.. all the love goes on.. Oh im just a girl tryna find a place in this worLD..  Taylor swift <3

Offline MissDE

• SF Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 08:42:00 pm »

This is really bad!
and after that, those complicated people who kill their women for their mistakes wonder why Western people have this bad idea abt Islam!
Of course they will! how would they know that those are not doing what Islam is asking us to do..

I wish this will end one day, I only wish because it seems that it's in the genes of some people...

Offline astarmathsandphysics

• SF Overlord
  • Free the exam papers!
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 08:58:46 pm »
It takes 20 years for everything to change in the modern world. Wait 20 years and everything will be so different.

Offline astarmathsandphysics

• SF Overlord
  • Free the exam papers!
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 09:01:39 pm »
That is how long it takes for the next generation to take over.

Offline O.T.13.

• SF V.I.P
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 12:11:50 am »
As retarded as it is, this is the sad truth of pretty much all of the middle east
i can only count 2 countries where these incidents are uncommon
and guess what, there aint nothing that can be done, cause its in the composition of this society
Nothing is worse than being surrounded by people and yet you still feel lonely

nid404

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 04:12:54 am »
In some cases the government also supports it....
The middle east needs a more democratic society.....
And India is not less....It has recently had so many cases. The governement still allows village panchayats to take decisions....those villagers are so dumb...sorry to say....they make some absurd decision....and ppl follow it...whether it is killing their own children...because they bring "shame" in their words to the village and its inhabitants....I mean who cares abt it...so as to feel it brings shame.

Offline Zain-Xa

• SF Overlord
  • I got an "I <3 ?" written at the back of my hand
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 09:30:13 pm »
yes it is bad horrible :o

people these days ugh :S
What can I do, to make it right
Falling so hard so fast this time
What did I say, what did you do?
How did I fall in love with you?

zzzzzZZZZZZzzzzzzzzz

I'll be strong.. I'll be wrong.. all the love goes on.. Oh im just a girl tryna find a place in this worLD..  Taylor swift <3

Offline O.T.13.

• SF V.I.P
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009, 09:43:39 pm »
In some cases the government also supports it....
The middle east needs a more democratic society.....
And India is not less....It has recently had so many cases. The governement still allows village panchayats to take decisions....those villagers are so dumb...sorry to say....they make some absurd decision....and ppl follow it...whether it is killing their own children...because they bring "shame" in their words to the village and its inhabitants....I mean who cares abt it...so as to feel it brings shame.

well dear, democracy is not applicable to all and every nations, and in some cases, democracy will take the problems to a whole new level. The People (of the middle east specifically) must learn democracy before they live in it, and as astar said, this takes one, if not more generations
Nothing is worse than being surrounded by people and yet you still feel lonely