Author Topic: history paper 4 help  (Read 3201 times)

Offline Spog

history paper 4 help
« on: June 01, 2009, 04:38:17 pm »
hey, how do you go about answering Q1) (a) (iii) in paper 4 history
just wanted a general idea thanks

Offline tmisterr

• SF Citizen
Re: history paper 4 help
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 05:35:47 pm »
IGCSE Paper 4 is divided into two distinct sections - the first is source questions and the second is knowledge and understanding.

In the source questions, the usual format is:

i) 6-mark question on the first source. This is usually asking you what the source tells you about something. To get the best marks, you need to make at least a couple of inferences from the source and use evidence from the source to support your points.

ii) 7-mark question on the second source. This is often a "how far"-style question, which you should be used to from the 8-mark questions on Paper 1. This answer requires balance: you need to show ways the source does support the statement in the question (supported with evidence from the source), ways the source doesn't support the statement in the question (supported with evidence from the source) and then reach a conclusion judging "how far". 3 paragraphs overall would be appropriate here.

iii) 7-mark question comparing the two sources. In recent years this has been about how useful the sources are to find information on a given topic. Here you need to consider the content and the provenance of each source to determine their reliability. You should include examples from each source to support any point you make.

Offline Spog

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 10:27:24 am »
thank you soo much  :D  :-*
+ rep 4 u  ;D

Offline tmisterr

• SF Citizen
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 12:19:48 pm »
ur welcome!!

Offline Bavinmaestro

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 02:23:37 pm »
i need help .... wats red terror, great terror and war communism

Offline Name

• SF Citizen
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 02:34:52 pm »

after lenin took control, someone was about to assissinate him.the cheka (secret police) launched the red terror. anyone opposing lenin or communism would be killed or sent to labour camps

war communism is the period from 1917-1921 where the communists tried to win the civil war by making sure enough food was given to the workers and the red army. this was done by the cheka seizing grain from the peasants, all factories under state control, etc.
although thy did win the civil war, it caused a lot of people to go against the bolsheviks (krondsdt revolt, workers without communists opposition group)

i dunno this great terror your talking about :S never heard it before!

Offline godfather93

• SF Senior Citizen
  • Tomorrow is a day that changes everyday
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 02:36:34 pm »

after lenin took control, someone was about to assissinate him.the cheka (secret police) launched the red terror. anyone opposing lenin or communism would be killed or sent to labour camps

war communism is the period from 1917-1921 where the communists tried to win the civil war by making sure enough food was given to the workers and the red army. this was done by the cheka seizing grain from the peasants, all factories under state control, etc.
although thy did win the civil war, it caused a lot of people to go against the bolsheviks (krondsdt revolt, workers without communists opposition group)

the great terror is the purges Stalin made during his rule. Around 20 million people were purged.

Offline Bavinmaestro

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 02:41:39 pm »
thx both of u .... thoose were the only things i were unsure off

Offline Name

• SF Citizen
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2009, 02:43:05 pm »

the great terror is the purges Stalin made during his rule. Around 20 million people were purged.

we just learned it as "the purges" but thanks! in case they use great terror in the exam i know know what it means now :P

Offline Bavinmaestro

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2009, 02:44:11 pm »
are red terror and war communism considered as the same thing ?? or is red terror in war communism ??

Offline godfather93

• SF Senior Citizen
  • Tomorrow is a day that changes everyday
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2009, 02:54:51 pm »
no, the red terror was a campaign of mass arrests and executions done by the Bolshevik government. the Red Terror was introduced in reply to White Terror. The purpose of this campaign was eliminate counter-revolutionaries considered to be "enemies" of the people. Many Russian communists openly proclaimed that Red Terror was needed for extermination of entire social groups or former "ruling classes". the red terror was initiated immediately after the attempted assassination of Vladimir Lenin by Fanya Kaplan on August 30, 1918. Lenin instructed the cheka that it is necessary to prepare secretly and urgently the "red terror". moreover paranoia over suspected civilian uprisings led Lenin to initiate the red terror

Offline Bavinmaestro

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2009, 03:24:57 pm »
oh ok .... thx for the clarification !!

Offline seerahxo

History Paper 4? :]
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2009, 03:54:40 pm »
Any One have Anyy Ideas Bout What You Think Is Gonna Comee?
Is It Gonna Be About Lenin Or Stalin Do You Think?

Offline abdulla

Re: History Paper 4? :]
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2009, 04:09:24 pm »
Any One have Anyy Ideas Bout What You Think Is Gonna Comee?
Is It Gonna Be About Lenin Or Stalin Do You Think?

it could be both remember their is small sources at the top.

Offline Name

• SF Citizen
Re: History Paper 4? :]
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2009, 04:19:15 pm »
definetely not about the tsar, and not about collectivisation because they already came in paper 1 :)