Author Topic: INTERNET & TV.....vs.....BOOKS & NEWSPAPERS  (Read 3615 times)

Offline sanity_master

• SF Farseer
  • its all comin to an end :(
INTERNET & TV.....vs.....BOOKS & NEWSPAPERS
« on: May 30, 2009, 08:01:23 am »
Internet and TV are both becoming or already became a part of our daily lives, a major part that is. On the other hand, reading books and the newspapers is somehow starting to diminish in the world of teenagers as ourselves. This issue had been a bone of contention for many years, scientists and parents on a side, and children and teenagers are on the other.

Internet is a great source of information and knowledge if it is used properly and wisely, however, it has its own threats that are dangerous to us and to our minds. Same thing applies for TV, they show us every single thing that occurs anywhere at anytime around the world, yet, similar threats r still there.

Books have the same job as the internet and TV, but the way of presentation is the issue that keeps the teenagers (not all of them surely) away from reading. "BORING!" a word that is heard from many children or teenagers that read any book, apart from the books that contain pictures (for youngsters) or even those black and white pictures for teens.

This whole issue is swelling up nowadays, and it is found to be a major problem in our societies.

which side do you choose, and why is that?....Is this a real problem, a new phenomena in the teens world?!....Or is it something normal that happens just like the new stuff that had been introduced to humanity over the years?

Offline astarmathsandphysics

• SF Overlord
  • Free the exam papers!
Re: INTERNET & TV.....vs.....BOOKS & NEWSPAPERS
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 10:13:26 am »
I dont watch tv anymore but i use the radio for the news. I foot rece newspapers either. Whe internet is going to mean a lot of dying industries

Offline hasan

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 10:15:24 am »
I use the internet at least 1 hr a day, and I watch TV - 2 hr a day - .. I do not read books a lot but I read the newspaper every day morning ..

Offline sanity_master

• SF Farseer
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 10:21:20 am »
so wts ur opinion guys about this??

and which kind of media do u choose??

Offline hasan

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 10:34:54 am »
so wts ur opinion guys about this??

and which kind of media do u choose??

It is something called globalization .. which you use the internet and any kind of modern technology to communicate with the outside world .. ( this is only part of globalization )

I choose my local media and arab media but I do not rely 100% on them or in any other media ... I do not fully believe the west media ..  :D

Offline astarmathsandphysics

• SF Overlord
  • Free the exam papers!
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009, 10:41:52 am »
Even when i am not at my pc i am on my phone like now. I am addicted

Offline sweetsh

• Retired Adminstrator
  • SF V.I.P
  • *Freedom
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2009, 11:26:04 am »
I use internet mostly everyday, I read books alot but right now I only need the little time to rest and stop reading my books, I read newspapers everyday ofcourse, and I don't watch TV at all during these days, in my nature I don't like it that much, but I do watch news when I can.

Q80BOY

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2009, 11:42:14 am »
newspaper

this morning the newspaper wasnt delivered, so i went on their website and read it from there, result: i hated it !! if ur used to reading a certain newspaper with a certain format, its not easy to change.

TV

there are websites on the intrenet that enable u to watch ur favourite channels for free, but did u throw ur tv away ?? are u comparing ur 19" LCD computer screen or ur 15" laptop screen to ur 55" plasma or LCD tv ?? are u comparing ur computer chair to ur comfy sofa?? are u comparing the quality of the shows ur watching on the internet to the tv ??

Books

u can read ur favourite books for free on scribid etc. or ur kindle, but are u comparing that to actually holding the book, and sitting on ur bed, sofa, car, plane, pool side, beach and readig it?? its not the same, thats why people still buy books, thats why book shops have not closed down yet

Internet

ok, so u can buy a t-shirt from the internet right? then why is it, that the mall is full of shops selling t-shirts? why dont they close down?

Finally

In my opinion i dont think that the TV and internet are a threat, personally i use all of them every day

i watch tv and read the news paper in the morning, and then use the internet (Student Forums) and read my books (Chemistry revision guide) in the evening, so are they a threat? NO why? i dunno  :P

Thanks  :)

Offline emi

• SF Geek
  • former member
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2009, 01:35:05 pm »
nothing can beat internet ;D  though i dnt want TV much but since u put them in same category i choose that one .
without internet i cant handle it one day, people here having exams stay away from internet but i cant im like on the net 24/7 either if its for studying or just having fun ..

former member

Q80BOY

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2009, 01:39:57 pm »
nothing can beat internet ;D  though i dnt want TV much but since u put them in same category i choose that one .
without internet i cant handle it one day, people here having exams stay away from internet but i cant im like on the net 24/7 either if its for studying or just having fun ..

what if ur travelling ??

what if u have power cuts ?? (AND ur laptop's battery ran out  :P)

what if ur internet connection vanished ??

u wont handle ur life ??  ???

the internet is'nt everything people !! uve got to realise this !!

thanks  :)

Offline sanity_master

• SF Farseer
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2009, 02:04:54 pm »
y the internet became the main source of info, while books r now almost nothing........

however they provide us with the same quantity and "quality" of knowledge....just the presentation as i said before......y is that??

for me, im addicted to the internet, but there is something that i always find in books that interests me, dont know it actually......but i cant stop reading as i cant stop using the internet...

Offline emi

• SF Geek
  • former member
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2009, 02:28:12 pm »
maybe for you q80 boy but u shouldn't measure everyone the same as you. some people are more dependant on internet and their computers .  and everything you've said so far in  6 years non of those happened so im not worried of it happening any soon either .

nothing wrong with traveling you can take your laptop with you anywhere and nowadays ,, there is internet almost everywhere !
why would the power cut anyways ? even if it did for how long it will be gone ? 2 hours ? 3 ? 
if internet connection vanished ? that always happens with every one .. what you do then ? simple go and re-new it i don't see a problem in that

i agree there are other things too in life, and what i said was an exaggeration of how important is internet in our life not that u take it to the core .. I WONT HANDLE MY LIFE oh goosh imma go shoot my self .. *dead*

former member

Q80BOY

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2009, 03:07:49 pm »
@ emi:

lol, i know ur not gonna kill ur self  :P

and ahem, u live in kuwait, no power cuts in the summer?

i was just saying that no one is actually 100% dependent on the internet, atleast not now, or what do u think ??

thanks  :)

Offline sanity_master

• SF Farseer
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2009, 03:10:09 pm »
yea.....we should use it when we need to, i mean for a certain purpose not just to surf the websites for nothing......

Offline X Abdulrahman X

• SF Farseer
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2009, 07:11:30 pm »
hmm id go with the internet,
1} u can read the newspaper on the internet
2} u can watch tv on the internet
3} u can read books on the internet

Internet is the best !
When they talk about me they say I be trippin
What they say about me doesn't make me mad 
I think they hatin cause they see me when I'm rollin
Man I can't help it that they really doin bad  =P

Big cars, Big wheels, Big chains, Big pimpin', Big money, Big Dreams ;-)