Author Topic: So stressed at University  (Read 4755 times)

Offline Grapes1

So stressed at University
« on: November 21, 2014, 06:55:46 pm »
Hello everyone on here

I recently started university this september 2014 studying Engineering.

However I realised (2 months into the course), that I didn't like engineering and I was not good at engineering (I hadn't done physics a levels and not that good a grade in maths A level) - is this normal?

So I am thinking of what I should do. I tried to transfer onto a business course, however they didn't accept me as they said it was too late, and they said I have to apply next September.

The problem is now, I don't want to take a whole year out, and secondly I doubt I would get into any good universities as I didn't get good grades (average b/c).

I am not sure where to go now. But I would not mind going onto a Science or Humanities foundation course as long as I can start in next few months and not so late.

I also have interested in biology and chemistry related courses.

Any alternatives would be appreciated.

Thanks everyone for taking your time to read this and helping.

Offline Grapes1

Re: So stressed at University
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2014, 07:56:12 pm »
hoping for a reply here

Offline NotAbod

• Wikipedia Contributor
  • Global Moderator
  • SF Farseer
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 07:04:03 pm »
Hello grapes :)
I don't know where to start from. Let's see. Spend sometime thinking whether engineering is what you want to do for the rest of your life. If you see yourself doing it happily without getting bored, then keep doing it. If it's not what you like, I suggest you choose another course that you are more interested in. It's still early, try applying for winter semesters.

A week ago, we were having a discussion with our teaching assistant. His words were very interesting, I will quote one of his sentences:
"If you have the power and will to wake up everyday early in the morning and do the same thing over and over for the rest of your life without getting bored then go for it."
He said that to a student who had the same problem as you and wanted to transfer. He wasn't interested in the course and it wasn't what he wanted to do.

That's the same case here. Are you ready to do that as an Engineer? Doctor? Businessman? Your life; your choice.

Offline The Golden Girl =D

• Without Allah I'm nothing <3
  • Honorary Member
  • SF Overlord
  • Ain't Nothin worth your tears =D
    • www.thegoldengirl157.blogspot.com
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 12:27:58 pm »
Hello,

If I was in your situation, I'd most likely care about getting into what I want than having to waste a year. I took about 6 months to know what I want to study in University. I know  that's a lot but it took me that long to discover that I'm in to Human Science not Engineering which was what I actually wanted.

Plus my grades in A Levels (Chemistry, Physics and Maths) were very close to disastrous especially physics which opened my eyes to the fact that Engineering isn't my type of thing. But then I kept asking around about the courses that the University I applied to has and eventually I found that Communication (Public Relations) is actually my thing so I went for it. I'm currently not majoring in it yet but I took the first subject/course in the majoring  if I pass I'll get in it. Anyways my point is take as long as you can to choose(not more than a year obviously), you can take a job, read books but most importantly ask those people who will help you. Those that know your university courses and stuff. You can ask help from the student's affairs'office or whatever.

So, think really hard and ask around as much as you can. Do a personality test that will help you. I recently did one which somehow helped in convincing me of Public Relations as a Career.

I hope I helped (even though I'm super late =,=) , Good Luck ;)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 12:29:45 pm by The Golden Girl =D »
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest(13:28)

Please, Don't forget to Include GG in your Prayers =D

Offline Timothyzet

• TimothyzetZD
So stressed at University
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2019, 10:28:56 am »
My math teacher last year went to university at age 14 and started teaching kids in high school older then him.

Offline admin

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2019, 12:16:13 pm »
The fact is teachers do not get paid enough.
A graduate in maths can get a very good job and earn a lot of money.
If you want want good teachers you have to pay a good salary.

Offline Elijah123

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2022, 12:28:53 pm »
University can be a tough phase of any student's life especially when you live abroad. You can easily determine the quality of life by just looking from a rear view but in reality, the struggles of a person can only be known by himself. When I moved to the USA to join the velcro name patches for police and test my skills it was much more difficult but I got along.