Author Topic: IGCSE : INFORMATION AND COMMUNICATION TECHNOLOGY (0417)  (Read 3489 times)

Offline dentist.2020

IGCSE : INFORMATION AND COMMUNICATION TECHNOLOGY (0417)
« on: September 08, 2014, 11:17:02 am »
hi everyone im going to start taking

Information and Communication Technology (0417) for IGCSE and i will take sociology.... im doing my 3rd year of uni but i need to take an IGCSE subject long story

i have one month left.... which book should i use? how many past papers are there for this subject? whats the percentage of each... is it easy/hard? please explain to me

+ i will only have a private tutor for this im in abu ddhabi can u recommend me any teachers or their contact details? im panikcing since i havent done IG's for 3 years now... please help.. if i study 2/3 hours daily will it be enough? :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Offline NotAbod

• Wikipedia Contributor
  • Global Moderator
  • SF Farseer
Re: IGCSE : INFORMATION AND COMMUNICATION TECHNOLOGY (0417)
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 09:54:43 am »
Yes, ICT is an easy subject. 60% for the practical paper and 40% for the theoretical one. Solve +2008 papers. Also use the mark scheme, make your own model answer for every type of a question. A 7 marks questions asking you to discuss advantages and disadvantages for example; 3-4 advantages, 3-4 disadvantages and 1 conclusion. You get 6 marks for advantages/disadvantages and one for the conclusion. For practical papers, keep solving and it will become easier every time.

Now, sociology. Basically, essay writing. I did not do well, maybe I was doing something wrong? I studied for 4 months and solved all the papers. Still got a B. Needs more learning I guess. Take a look at it, if you like it, fine. If not, try accounting.

2-3hrs of studying + 1month maybe it's not enough. ICT needs practicing and learning. Sociology needs even more learning (More as in about 70 pages of SUMMARISED notes).

Offline dentist.2020

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 10:00:19 am »
I left my university meaning i dropped out this semister of  months just to take those subjects u know?
im willing to put 4-5 hours of intensive studying every day from 10-12 then 1-4 everyday.. im a very hard worker + im smart..

im guessing 4-5 hours or more daily of complete studying without distraction would be enough? + 2 hours tutoring everyday........ do you think i am capable of doing this if i invest that time? i really need to get A for those subjects

any advice??? i think theres still time since ill only be taking 2 subjects + no school just tutoring.... im stressed
would appreciate a feed back

thank you very much for ur time

Offline dentist.2020

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 10:05:17 am »
i was thinking if i just take ICT and spend 4 hours of studying everyday would be enough for the practical +theoretical and ill be having a private tuitoring everyday or every other day for 2 hours per session....

so that i dont confuse myself between sociology and ICT ill choose ICT
do you think it'll be bearable or will i be able to do so and get an A?

Offline NotAbod

• Wikipedia Contributor
  • Global Moderator
  • SF Farseer
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 10:13:00 am »
Don't worry it's possible. Needs lots of studying though + solving. Do you have to give exams this session? or is May 2015 possible?
If May 2015 is possible, I recommend not giving exams now and give yourself more time to study.

Sociology is really long, so yea good choice. Yes, if you finish the syllabus early and solve papers. That's enough for an A.