Author Topic: Study in the UK, or study in the UAE?  (Read 8147 times)

Offline mentalfiction

Study in the UK, or study in the UAE?
« on: February 18, 2012, 11:54:31 am »
At first glance, you will OBVIOUSLY say UK but here's the deal...
I want to do Aeronautical Engineering and I have been accepted into 3 universities all over UK on conditional offers (applied to one other as well, haven't received a reply as of yet).
I am also going to apply to a university in Dubai, and, not meaning to sound cocky, but I'm confident I'll get accepted there as well.
The only problem is this, my mother wants me to study HERE, and NO WHERE else. She is adamant and I have tried and tried to make her change her mind but it mostly resulted in me getting yelled at and being sent to my room (T_T).
My father on the other hand, wants me to go to the UK.

I asked around and some people suggested that I do two years here and then transfer to a university in UK. But then I talked to other people (including a counselor) and they said that I may probably have to study some things all over again, and honestly, I'd rather not waste my time like that so I guess this doesn't count as a valid option.

My mother suggests I study my undergrad here and do my postgrad in UK, but I'm not even planning on doing my postgrad so, not exactly a great idea either. So in the end, I decided you know what, I'll just study here, the education seems good enough, etc etc.

However, a few days ago I talked to two counselors, and they both suggested I study in the UK, and then come back and work here, or wherever. And honestly, I can see how that makes sense because studying in the UAE means I get jobs only in UAE, few elsewhere, but studying in the UK would give me the flexibility of being able to work anywhere without as much of a hassle as I would if I studied in UAE.

But now, how do I convince my mom? And I'm still wondering if I should go to the UK because honestly, I am not the most mature and responsible person out there so I'm a little wary about living by myself, and whether it would be safe or not.

Pleeaaaseee reply~~ the slightest input would help.

Offline Romeesa-Chan

• Chère
  • Global Moderator
  • SF Overlord
  • "Be the person you want to meet."
Re: Study in the UK, or study in the UAE?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 01:26:27 pm »
Hmmm ... studying in UK has both it's pros and cons as you mentioned. You yourself need to decide the weightage between the two and make your choice.

If you choose that it's UK being the best of the two then try convincing your Mom with your Dad's help. :)

Plus, if you're a Muslim - I suggest doing Istikhara prayer. Always helps. ;)
Download SF Magazine 2012 here.

Offline MKh

• SF Geek
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 01:41:02 pm »
ASSALAAM O ALAIKUM,

I can see your problem there. So what's the reason your mom doesn't want you to study in the UK? Is she worried about you being alone?
I would defintely also suggest you to go over and study in the UK since you will have a promising future, INSHA ALLAH.

Try to ask your dad to convince your mom since he must be having better reasons for allowing you to go over to the UK that both of your parents will understand. Whoever you ask will suggest you to study in the UK and come back and work in the UAE, since the education in the UK will equip you for life and the salaries in the UAE are really high and are continuing to increase.

The UK is not an unsafe place. Students are highly respected there. If you face any problems, you can always contact your university. My brother also studies there and before going there when he used to live with us, he was the most careless person I ever knew. But now he is changed. Students from all over the world from a variety of backgrounds, young and older, go there to study. But it is a matter of your mom and you will have to ask your dad to help you to convince your mom. Moreover, you can also try to convince your mom yourself when she is happy and calm.

I would finally suggest that if your dad has got the means to support you throughout your stay there, go for it. Try to convince your mom by giving her examples like when you come back from the UK, you can get a job as soon as you get back to the UAE and you can always visit them during the long vacation breaks and it is only 3 years or so.

Hope this helps.

Alpha

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 03:23:19 pm »
Going to the UK is really worth it since it could even get you a job in Mars. Do your best to seize your opportunity.

Grow up into a stable and responsible person enough to be confident yourself. Let your thoughts and actions show that you can be mature and independent.
That would get rid of your mother's fears. You won't need to convince her then. :)

Offline sweetsh

• Retired Adminstrator
  • SF V.I.P
  • *Freedom
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 09:26:17 pm »
Hello,
What university in Dubai are you thinking of applying to? Does it have Aeronautical Engineering?
I highly recommend you go for the UK option. Let your father talk to her, your future is too important. And you can go back to Dubai during vacations :) Plus Skype is making distances shorter everyday :)

Offline mentalfiction

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 07:50:08 pm »
^I'm applying to Emirates Aviation College. They just recently started Aeronautical Engineering about a year and a half ~ two years ago.

And my mom is just fearful about it being unsafe, that and you know, how mothers can be very dramatic and all? Well she's like since I'm the youngest and the only girl, she wants me to take care of her and if I leave she'll have no one, blablabla (even though I live in Abu Dhabi, and to study in EAC I'll have to live in Dubai anyways T_T). Even though she's at work half of the time and my brother is, well, still living here.

I'm really glad you all replied :D Helps a lot.
Oh and Romeesa-Chan, yes I am and I have been considering that option for a while, but my MOM knows how to do that prayer, and I haven't told her that I've applied to UK (I feel horrible for lying but I probably would never have had the option of UK if I didn't).

Offline Romeesa-Chan

• Chère
  • Global Moderator
  • SF Overlord
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 08:04:19 pm »
^Her reaction is understandable. Typical Mom reactions. All she wants is you to be safe and have good education.

Ask her to do the prayer and see what Allah guides you to. :D

Offline mentalfiction

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 08:12:43 pm »
Yup, I'm going to ask one of my teachers though to tell me how to do the prayer because my mom gets really, I mean, REALLY, angry if I even MENTION the word abroad in front of her.
So, going to try that. Soon, InshaAllah.

Offline Romeesa-Chan

• Chère
  • Global Moderator
  • SF Overlord
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 08:22:13 pm »
Yup, I'm going to ask one of my teachers though to tell me how to do the prayer because my mom gets really, I mean, REALLY, angry if I even MENTION the word abroad in front of her.
So, going to try that. Soon, InshaAllah.

InshaAllah khair, hope you make the best choice. :)

All the best. :D

PS- before doing the prayer, be assured that you're ready for anything even if it comes no to UK - so have strong faith, iA. :)

Offline MKh

• SF Geek
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 08:34:27 pm »
^I'm applying to Emirates Aviation College. They just recently started Aeronautical Engineering about a year and a half ~ two years ago.

And my mom is just fearful about it being unsafe, that and you know, how mothers can be very dramatic and all? Well she's like since I'm the youngest and the only girl, she wants me to take care of her and if I leave she'll have no one, blablabla (even though I live in Abu Dhabi, and to study in EAC I'll have to live in Dubai anyways T_T). Even though she's at work half of the time and my brother is, well, still living here.

I'm really glad you all replied :D Helps a lot.
Oh and Romeesa-Chan, yes I am and I have been considering that option for a while, but my MOM knows how to do that prayer, and I haven't told her that I've applied to UK (I feel horrible for lying but I probably would never have had the option of UK if I didn't).

Ohh so you r a girl. I thought u were a boy, partly due to your display pic. So for a young muslim girl's mom, I truly understand why she is so worried. Anyways, UAE is also a very good option for you after the UK. Everyone's happy then!

Don't forget to tell us what u feel after doing istikhara.

Offline Becca

• SF Immigrant
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2012, 05:43:05 am »
Wow, mentalfiction, you must be a very smart girl to have been accepted to all those UK universities!  :) Always keep that in mind. It's not so bad in the UK, and you would have a great education there. But then again, you could get a great education in your own country. However, like you said, you would be able to get a job anywhere if you study in the UK, especially if you're good at what you do. My own mum was like yours at first. She was very insistent that I study medicine in one of the local unis. She was quite sceptical when, one day, I told her about applying to UK unis through UCAS. She told me that it was too far away etc.. However, she came to realise that it would be a great opportunity for me to study in the UK, and she finally relented. She's now very supportive of me studying in the UK. Does your dad know that you were accepted into those unis? If he doesn't, try telling him, since he doesn't mind you studying in the UK ( but maybe it would be better if your mother weren't around while you do that  ;) ) Discuss with him if he can afford to send you to the UK, and if he can, both of you can approach your mum and try to reassure her. No doubt she's just scared that her little girl may get hurt there or something, so maybe you can arrange to Skype with her frequently while you're in the UK, so that she would know that you're all right. If you can, try to get more supportive family members to talk with her together with your dad, so that she would not feel so apprehensive about you going to the UK. Pray hard too, so that God can soften her heart a little...  :)

I really hope this helps you... All the best to you, you smart girl!  :-*
There's nothing else I like better than reading, honestly. :)

Offline mentalfiction

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2012, 12:00:25 pm »
@ Romeesa-Chan: I know :) I've already assured myself that there's a pretty good chance of me staying here so I shouldn't get disappointed if  the answer is UAE.

@MKh: I'll try posting here in Semptember 2012, to let y'all know where I'm studying too :D

@Becca: Yeah I would like to discuss this with my dad, but he's home less often than my mother is, so it's almost impossible to talk to him in private. He knows that I've been accepted, and he doesn't mind the fees, but my dad is very... passive. He's left me and my brother to make our own decisions, so whenever I ask him if I should go the UK, his answer is usually "Do whatever you want to~" Makes life a lot harder that way heh.
And thanks ^-^ Not the smartest actually, but I get by :D

Offline $tyli$h Executive

• Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2012, 12:15:39 pm »
Great Mentalfiction, you got acccepted to 3 unis of the UK. I personally think it would be sensible for you to do your postgraduate in the UK and do your undergrad in one of the reputable universities of the UAE (I'm sure there are many) :)

Offline benk

• Construction Essays
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2012, 12:47:40 pm »
Maybe I'll try to UK but what's the difference between UK and UAE?  ;D I have no time to search the difference because I'm busy studying bridge engineering and truss bridge

Offline Crooked

• The Psycho Lunatic.
  • Global Moderator
  • SF V.I.P
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2012, 03:12:32 pm »
Anywhere but London. There aren't many jobs available in London. =/
<3 La Ilaha Illa-Allah Muhammad Rasul Allah. <3