Author Topic: Economic doubt  (Read 1447 times)

Offline RAMLA

Economic doubt
« on: January 09, 2012, 05:19:25 pm »
(some of the wealthy countries the USA especially have blocked moves to reduce tariffs and quotas on such trade, fearing competition from lower-priced imports.) can anyone help this is in my textbook and i do not understand this line,   

Offline Azland

Re: Economic doubt
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 12:22:44 pm »
The Wealthy countries - in this case the United States have not supported ways to reduce tarrifs and quotas on free trade. To be quite frank this means that the country does not support its citizens importing goods/services from other countries as business is being forced outside the country and jobs at home will most likely be lost. Other concerns would include currency depreciation and balance of trade/terms of trade problems..but I dont think you would be studying this right now. Like I mentioned above firms inside the US would not be able to compete with foreign competition due to reasons such as cheap labour, materials etc. Jobs will be lost because of this and the economy would have a downturn. The problem as mentioned in ur textbook is mainly faced by wealthy countries such as the US,UK etc. Poor countries do not encounter the same problem as goods made in their own country will already be cheaper then if a person wanted to import it from richer countries. There are other reasons but its not required for you to know all of it right now.

Offline RAMLA

Re: Economic doubt
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 03:14:28 pm »
thanx azland  but am an AS student u can explain everything i will understand.