Author Topic: Are Psychopathic Serial Killers Evil? Are they Blameworthy for What They Do?  (Read 7262 times)

Offline Romeesa-Chan

• Chère
  • Global Moderator
  • SF Overlord
  • "Be the person you want to meet."
Been into Psychology recently. Highly fascinating.

Anyways, I'd like to know your opinion on whether psychopathic serial killers are evil? Are they blameworthy for what they do?

If you look into their childhood - they are either physically, mentally or sexually abused by their parents, family member or any other significant person in their life (many other factors including) ?

When we blame someone, we seem to presuppose that they were able to understand the nature of what they were doing, that it was in some important sense morally bad. Psychopaths seem to lack the ability to recognize the moral significance of what it is that they are doing, at least when it comes to harming others.

Your views, please. (:
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 11:58:11 pm by Dr Spencer Reid »
Download SF Magazine 2012 here.

Offline Becca

• SF Immigrant
Perhaps that makes them not evil, but their actions are still evil, I must say. Hence, they must be separated from the general public since they can't help doing what they do. I read somewhere that real psychopaths cannot be cured.
There's nothing else I like better than reading, honestly. :)

Offline Romeesa-Chan

• Chère
  • Global Moderator
  • SF Overlord
Perhaps that makes them not evil, but their actions are still evil, I must say. Hence, they must be separated from the general public since they can't help doing what they do. I read somewhere that real psychopaths cannot be cured.
Undoubtedly, their actions are evil.
Due to failure of noticing the symptoms, they are left untreated. So, we don't even know that they are mentally ill.
Yupe, I think I've read that as well.

Offline Becca

• SF Immigrant
However, I also read that 6 % of the world's population are born as genetic psychopaths. I don't know how far this is true, though. This could mean that there is no way to figure out who's a psychopath and who's not. They could still be psychopaths even if they did not receive any form of abuse throughout their earlier years! The only way to help them is to isolate them from the rest of the world, but it would be a shame if it took one or more victims to bring a psychopath the attention they need... One early symptom is the tendency for a person to hurt animals, perhaps even kill them, just for the satisfaction they derive from it, but this is quite vague...

Offline Romeesa-Chan

• Chère
  • Global Moderator
  • SF Overlord
I've read about the killing animal part, that's their initial step to being serial killers.
Animals are often seen as "practice" for killing humans.

Genetics tests are showing that the nervous system of the psychopath is markedly different — they feel less fear and anxiety than normal people. One carefully conducted experiment revealed that "low arousal levels" not only causes impulsiveness and thrill-seeking, but also showed how dense sociopaths are when it comes to changing their behavior. A group of sociopaths and a group of healthy individuals were given a task, which was to learn what lever (out of four) turned on a green light. One lever gave the subject an electric shock. Both groups made the same number of errors, but the healthy group quickly learned to avoid the punishing electric shock, while sociopaths took much longer to do so. This need for higher levels of stimulation makes the psychopath seek dangerous situations.

Is it genetic, hormonal, biological, or cultural conditioning? Do serial killers have any control over their desires? We all experience rage and inappropriate sexual instincts, yet we have some sort of internal cage that keeps our inner monsters locked up. Call it morality or social programming; these internal blockades have long since been trampled down in the psychopathic killer. Not only have they let loose the monster within, they are virtual slaves to its beastly appetites. What sets them apart?

Offline Becca

• SF Immigrant
Well, although this all proves that they really can't help it, it's a really monumentous task to convince the public of it. It would be very difficult for the victims and their families to accept this scientifically-proven fact. I think that there are many factors that contribute to psychopathy. A genetic psychopath would become worse due to the factors you gave: hormonal, biological, cultural conditioning.

Offline Romeesa-Chan

• Chère
  • Global Moderator
  • SF Overlord
True that, it'll be most hard to convince the family affected.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 07:36:23 am by Romeesa-Chan »

Offline Romeesa-Chan

• Chère
  • Global Moderator
  • SF Overlord
The psychology behind why a person commits a violent crime has been studied for decades. Criminal profilers have spent hours interviewing and studying notorious criminals such as Ted Bundy, John Wayne Gacy and Jeffrey Dahmer to gain a better grasp of what drives them to commit such heinous crimes.

One conclusion that was reached was that it is a matter of both nurture and ones built in character. Do hardened criminals not have the ability to empathize with the victims, or to understand that what they are doing is wrong. In most cases these criminals feel justified in committing their crime, and often feel that if the victim deserved it. They can choose to pick a select group of individuals to punish, for example women. The criminals often have a past of serious child abuse or neglect, mental illness and lack of parental involvement in raising the child. The first signs that something is terribly wrong with the child's behavior or language is often overlooked or neglected. They are often ridiculed by peers and family members, or made to perform unnatural acts. Profilers often are able to describe the type of car a criminal may drive, the kind of clothes they wear, and what jobs they might hold. This information can be determined by the type of crime that was committed, the way it was executed, and the manner the crime scene was left.

Offline Nexus

• SF Immigrant
  • There is no substitute for Truth
Hey just another side for you argument

What do you think about "Dexter",or someone like him in the real life,what would be your opinion about a serial killer who kills other serial killers??
_____Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction_____

Offline Romeesa-Chan

• Chère
  • Global Moderator
  • SF Overlord
Hey just another side for you argument

What do you think about "Dexter",or someone like him in the real life,what would be your opinion about a serial killer who kills other serial killers??

A serial killer killing another one ? Woahhh.

For me, killing is killing. No one has the right to take anyone's life.

I am not in any way justifying serial killer's actions. Just empathizing over the causes that made them become who they are.

Offline Nexus

• SF Immigrant
A serial killer killing another one ? Woahhh.

For me, killing is killing. No one has the right to take anyone's life.

I am not in any way justifying serial killer's actions. Just empathizing over the causes that made them become who they are.

hahaha..you made your point very clear!

"For me, killing is killing. No one has the right to take anyone's life."

So have you watched Dexter?
_____Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction_____

Offline Romeesa-Chan

• Chère
  • Global Moderator
  • SF Overlord
hahaha..you made your point very clear!

"For me, killing is killing. No one has the right to take anyone's life."

So have you watched Dexter?
Had to make it clear. :)
Most excruciating thing - childhood. It all starts from there.

Nope, I haven't. Is it good ?

I am watching Criminal Minds - it's brilliant. ;D

Offline Nexus

• SF Immigrant
Dexter is awesome! ;)
and criminal minds..I watched most of the seasons of Criminal minds-Behavioral Analysis unit and found it very interesting

Actually what you are saying is true,Even in Dexter..what made dexter a serial killer is the deep emotional impact of seeing his own mother slaughtered in front of him when he was baby!

Offline Romeesa-Chan

• Chère
  • Global Moderator
  • SF Overlord
Dexter is awesome! ;)
and criminal minds..I watched most of the seasons of Criminal minds-Behavioral Analysis unit and found it very interesting

Actually what you are saying is true,Even in Dexter..what made dexter a serial killer is the deep emotional impact of seeing his own mother slaughtered in front of him when he was baby!
I will give it a try once I am done with Criminal Minds. :)
I currently in season 2. :P

There you go, he went through a deep emotional trauma which in turn made him a serial killer to kill other serial killers.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 03:27:32 pm by Romeesa-Chan »

Offline Becca

• SF Immigrant
Oh my goodness, is Dexter based on a real person or something?  :o As Romeesa said, these people often justify the murders they commit by saying that the victims deserve it. Dexter is just using another form of justification; he said that serial killers deserve to die, but he didn't realise that he was becoming a 'monster' himself. Another factor was because he witnessed his mum's horrific murder; can you imagine how big the psychological impact was on him, if he could recall the incident which happened when he was still a baby?!  :o