Author Topic: IB or A-level?! In great doubt :(  (Read 9281 times)

Offline NeoXx

IB or A-level?! In great doubt :(
« on: November 06, 2011, 07:27:06 pm »
Hi all,

I am new to forum and I came here because of one thing. To choose between IB or A-level.

Now I am studying IGCSE at Cats College Cambridge. If I was to stay in this school, I can only go to A-level next year because IB doesnt exist in my school.

Anyway, my sister is studying IB at United World College of the Atlantic (Atlantic college).
I've came to see her school and I like the ambient and people in the school much more than in mine, I like her school more.
But I wonder which programme is better for me, IB or A-level? I shall say that I know what I want to study in future, Business.

Also, which programme is better for university, which one gives more points and so?
I know that on IB you study much more than on A-level, and studying is not a problem for me :)

If anyone could help me I would be grateful! :D

Thank you

Offline Most UniQue™

• Global Moderator
  • SF Farseer
Re: IB or A-level?! In great doubt :(
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 07:57:42 pm »
Hi all,

I am new to forum and I came here because of one thing. To choose between IB or A-level.

Now I am studying IGCSE at Cats College Cambridge. If I was to stay in this school, I can only go to A-level next year because IB doesnt exist in my school.

Anyway, my sister is studying IB at United World College of the Atlantic (Atlantic college).
I've came to see her school and I like the ambient and people in the school much more than in mine, I like her school more.
But I wonder which programme is better for me, IB or A-level? I shall say that I know what I want to study in future, Business.

Also, which programme is better for university, which one gives more points and so?
I know that on IB you study much more than on A-level, and studying is not a problem for me :)

Thank you

First of all welcome to the forum.

Yah I agree IB is much more harder but if you wanna go to American universities they prefer IB more so it depends where you wanna study. Another thing my friends told me is that IB prepares you for university with all the essay projects you'll have to complete , doing CAS projects which means you'll have to perform some activities like arranging sports match or any other thing.  Youll have to write a report on a company About it's financial situation etc and this helps you since you wanna study Business .

In IB you will have to choose 6 subjects (3 high and 3 sub) so you can't only choose the ones which you need for your university but in A-Level your able to choose any subject you need for university so you can focus on the important subjects more. So IB requires much more hard work.

And also if you study for A-Level , you'll have more chance of getting better grades cuz in IB studies are really hard and other than this you'll have to write really long essays , perform CAS and study TOK so you can't concentrate on your studies more than you can in A-Level.

Also IB is recognized more world-wide than A-Level.

Hope it helped...

Offline legend_08

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 08:28:03 pm »
Hi all,

Thank you

well it depends on you i am studying the IB not enjoying it but last year
well if you good at every subject then do IB but be prepaerd for a LOT of work. also i didn't enjoy IB becasue in england they dont recongnize it much E.g. Liverpool uni IB points 32-35   A-level.  BBB what is this
my advise is if you know what you want to do you in uni then do A-level and if your not do IB thanks
any quesstion ask me
legends_08@hotmail.co.uk

Offline PoThePanda

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 08:47:58 pm »
If you're going to the US...
SAT 1
SAT 2
AP's

Don't worry about IB's, but if you *have* to do one of them, do A levels instead, since it's easier.

Honestly though, A levels don't help you in American universities, you might as well be doing something more useful with your time.

Offline should89

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 11:06:19 am »
Have you considered an online course in IB?

A friend of mine is currently doing one. It's Internationally recognised and appears to be far more flexible than the standard 'set out' curriculum of an A-Level.

Take a look: http://www.brightonsbm.com/coursesoverview.htm

Syddy
:)