Author Topic: Perming Hair is GooD or ... ?!  (Read 1462 times)

Offline The Golden Girl =D

• Without Allah I'm nothing <3
  • Honorary Member
  • SF Overlord
  • Ain't Nothin worth your tears =D
    • www.thegoldengirl157.blogspot.com
Perming Hair is GooD or ... ?!
« on: October 09, 2011, 05:45:29 pm »
Hey Everyone =]

I want to know is Perming my hair good or not ?

I permed it since 5th grade till Last year then stopped since I heard a Hairstylist telling me my hair will fall when I'm 50 years old :o and a Doctor/herbalist saying that "Perming hair is literally KILLING the hair! " :-\ ::)

Thanks in Advance =D  
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest(13:28)

Please, Don't forget to Include GG in your Prayers =D

Offline Romeesa-Chan

• Chère
  • Global Moderator
  • SF Overlord
  • "Be the person you want to meet."
Re: Perming Hair is GooD or ... ?!
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 07:15:59 pm »
No idea ... never heard of it. ::)
Download SF Magazine 2012 here.

Offline Malak

• Honorary Member
  • SF Farseer
  • A warm smile is the universal language of kindness
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 08:49:47 pm »
I cant say for sure but i think its obvious that doing anything like this, a lot, does damage the hair.
Perming involves chemicals and stuff and maybe doing it a lot will cause damage to your hair later on.

If you are a man who degrades women then allow me to respectfully remind you that you came from ONE

Reminder to myself: Stop worrying and start working

SF magazine 2012 - Download here

Offline Chingoo

• Prima Donna u__u
  • SF Senior Citizen
  • RAWR
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 09:03:46 pm »
Yes, she's right. I have no researches or Google searches on hand, plus I'm sure you could do as much on your own anyway. However, as far I understand perming is basically a sort of rebonding; since you're a Science student, you will understand when I say that hairs are protein, and hence are straight or curly, flat or voluminous depending on their R-groups which in turn cause hydrogen bonds, hydrophobic interactions, acid-base interactions, ionic interactions, etc. So basically in any such hair technique, may a woman with curly hair rebond her hair to straight hair, or vice versa, they're going to break the bonds between your proteins, and make some in turn to make the proteins straight or twisted. Of course, we all know that beauticians don't carry out this process on an operating table or under an electron microscope, so bonds between your hairs which should not be disturbed, are easily disturbed. The structure of the protein may get so distorted that it cannot hold onto your scalp and it may lead to hairfall. It may also cuase abnormalities in your hair papillae, where you hair is embedded, rendering them incapable of making hair or something else. I may be making assumptions here, but I'm not Googling anything and am going from my A-Level studies' knowledge. :P But here you go. A scientific reason you shouldn't perm your hair.

Also, a religious reason I think you shouldn't:
Asma', daughter of Abu Bakr, reported that a woman came to Allah's Apostle (may peace be upon him) and said: I have a daughter who has been newly wedded. She had an attack of smallpox and thus her hair had fallen; should I add false hair to her head? Thereupon Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) said: Allah has cursed the woman who adds some false hair and the woman who asks for it.  (Sahih Muslim, Book #024, Hadith #5295)

Now, I'm not a religious expert. However from this hadith and the verse (which I am unable recall verbatim) which talks of trying to alter Allah's nature as sin, I think you should not perm your hair without asking someone with authority on religion first and well, thinking over it for yourself too. :)
All that is on earth will perish:
But will abide (forever) the Face of thy Lord--full of Majesty, Bounty & Honor.
Then which of the favors of your Lord will ye deny?

Qura'n, Chapter 55: The Beneficent, Verses 26-28

Offline The Golden Girl =D

• Without Allah I'm nothing <3
  • Honorary Member
  • SF Overlord
  • Ain't Nothin worth your tears =D
    • www.thegoldengirl157.blogspot.com
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 05:25:07 pm »
@ Ang3l : Thanks for letting me know ( I've heard the same thing when I searched Beauty forums about this matter)  ..Jazaki Allah khair =D

@Chingoo : OMG I NEVER knew that Perming my hair literally breaks these bonds i.e. WOW now I'll surely fight with anyone who says Perm your hair ::) :P ... Seriously that was a  really good Explanation =] MashAllah ..In terms of Religion , I'll have to say I'm against you in that point but I know that in Islam you shouldn't harm yourself/your body since you'll be asked about it in the Judgement day and that surely includes my hair. So Jazaki Allah Khair =D

@Romessa : Applying chemicals to you wavy/curly hair to straighten it permanently (when new hair comes out ,the new ones is curly)
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest(13:28)

Please, Don't forget to Include GG in your Prayers =D