Author Topic: Break the unhealthy workplace habits!  (Read 2150 times)

Amelia

Break the unhealthy workplace habits!
« on: September 16, 2011, 07:54:20 pm »
Workplace does not really mean professional 'office', you study area is also your work place.  :P
-------

1. Gluing yourself to the seat.
For those of you who work in an office environment, sitting behind a desk and staring at a computer screen likely makes up the bulk of yourday. The stress and demands of the job keep you focused only on your work and not on your physical well-being. This can lead to 40 hours of poor health habits each week. But with just a few adjustments, you can break the bad routine and be healthy at work.

2. Messy Workplace.
An unkempt work area can cause stress and lead to inefficiency. Furthermore, your desk, phone, and computer are notorious for harboring germs. Once each week, clean your workspace with antibacterial wipes. Organize your desk in a way that minimizes strain on your body, and keep things in their place. If you need help, look around the office at coworkers’ desks, and ask them for tips.

3. Poor Posture
You probably spend more time at your desk than any place other than your bed at home. So when you’re sitting in front it, it’s important to do it properly. Adjust your chair height so that your feet are flat on the floor and your knees are at a 90-degree angle. Adjust your computer screen so that your eyes are even with the top edge, and angle the screen so it’s tilted slightly upward toward your eyes. Your elbows should also be at a right angle when typing on your keyboard.

4. Staying Put.
Even if you sit with perfect posture, you shouldn’t do it for an extended period of time. Your body and mind will fall asleep, much like when you skip a meal. Once per hour, you should get up for a walk or a stretch.This will wake you up and get the blood flowing through your body (and your brain). Take every opportunity to get away from your desk. Instead of calling a coworker or sending an email, walk across the office to deliver the message in person.

5. Gossiping. - Bad!
Drama in the workplace not only hinders productivity, it can also affect office morale and cause stress and psychological problems for those involved. Try to avoid known gossips in the office, and if you do come across personal information about a coworker, keep it to yourself. If you are out with colleagues for a night on a town, keep any potentially embarrassing stories out of the work environment. What happens outside the office should stay out of the office.

Amelia

Re: Break the unhealthy workplace habits!
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 08:06:55 pm »

6. Unhealthy Snacking.

Mid-morning and mid-afternoon snacks are encouraged to keep your mind sharp and energy high. They can also keep your appetite satisfied so you don’t overeat at lunch or dinner. But grabbing a bag of chips or raiding your neighbor’s candy stash does more harm than good. Instead, try a piece of fruit or handful of almonds in the morning. And when the sweet tooth calls in the afternoon, go for a low-sugar granola bar or a small piece of healthier dark chocolate.

7. Skipping Lunch
While snacking on junk food is discouraged, skipping lunch altogether is just as bad. Don’t let the hustle and bustle of work keep you from breaking up the day with a healthy meal. Not only can this affect your energy levels and your ability to think and focus, you will be more likely to overeat at dinnertime.

8. Eating at your desk.

We’ve encouraged you to be diligent about eating lunch and healthy snacks throughout the day, but you should not eat them at your desk. Lunchtime is a chance to give yourself a much needed mental break during the day. And if you don’t keep your workspace clean , you could be sharing your meal with the germs that collect on your computer keyboard and phone.

9. Soda Vs. Water
One of the most plentiful resources in the office is usually the one that gets ignored the most. Drinking water should be a constant part of your workday. Not only does it keep your body and mind working efficiently, it also curbs your appetite so you will be less likely to munch on unhealthy snacks. It’s tempting to seek an energy boost from soda, but drink water regularly throughout the day. If you need an afternoon pick-me-up, try a cup of tea instead of a soft drink.

10. Long working days.
It always feels like there aren’t enough hours in the day toget your work done. But a healthy work-life balance is essential to keep youenergized and productive. Try to limit your work hours to a manageable number,and do your best to set boundaries between home and the office. Don’t take workcalls after hours, and make your evenings fun and fulfilling enough to takeyour mind off your busy day.

~Healthline.com

Offline Malak

• Honorary Member
  • SF Farseer
  • A warm smile is the universal language of kindness
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 08:33:33 pm »
Wow nice stuff :D

I cannot work in a messy place :o My study place has to be clean, I feel irritated if books are lying around or something :D

Umm, lol, I dont skip lunch but I do delay it at times ::)

Thanks for sharing.
If you are a man who degrades women then allow me to respectfully remind you that you came from ONE

Reminder to myself: Stop worrying and start working

SF magazine 2012 - Download here

Offline Romeesa-Chan

• Chère
  • Global Moderator
  • SF Overlord
  • "Be the person you want to meet."
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 09:25:43 pm »
Awesome stuff there.

Sadly, I am : Glued to my seat, having the wrong posture, eat unhealthy snacks and I drink loads of soda. :-[

On the bright side, I am very neat (Masha Allah :P ), I have reduced my soda intake and I try my best to drink more water these days . ;D
Download SF Magazine 2012 here.