Author Topic: Biology AS or A2? (urgent)  (Read 3596 times)

Offline Malak

• Honorary Member
  • SF Farseer
  • A warm smile is the universal language of kindness
Biology AS or A2? (urgent)
« on: September 03, 2011, 03:46:04 pm »
Okay, I decided to finish the edexcel AS biology course this summer. I thought i could do it but unfortunately i couldn't finish all of it *its a long course*.
Now, I need some advice from people who have done Edexcel A-level biology.

School is starting after few days and I need to decide if I should only do AS and forget the A2 or should I start with my A2 and continue with my AS as it is. Is that sensible? I asked a few other people and they said that both are related so it will be difficult to do A2 without properly finishing the AS part.

My university requirements will be fulfilled even if I do only AS biology but the reason why I thought of doing it as an a-level was that A-level means a lot more than just AS and it will make my chances of getting into uni higher.

Suggestions?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 03:58:08 pm by Ang3l »
If you are a man who degrades women then allow me to respectfully remind you that you came from ONE

Reminder to myself: Stop worrying and start working

SF magazine 2012 - Download here

Amelia

Re: Biology AS or A2? (urgent)
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 04:33:12 pm »
I did CIE, not Edexcel but anyway.

I suggest, you complete your AS Level first and than A2.  As is the baseand A2 is the difficult level where you learn the huge chapters (Brain, Kidney, Nervous system etc...) Edexcel students have the advantage of having their 'Paper 3' as 'Alternative to Practicals' where they dont actually have to do the experiments. Plus, they have no such thing as 'Applications' in A2.

If you cannot do A level in one year, then you can do only AS. University classes will complete the rest.

Biology, though lengthy, is not a difficult subject. It requires dedication, that's all.

Offline Malak

• Honorary Member
  • SF Farseer
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 04:57:15 pm »
I did CIE, not Edexcel but anyway.

I suggest, you complete your AS Level first and than A2.  As is the baseand A2 is the difficult level where you learn the huge chapters (Brain, Kidney, Nervous system etc...) Edexcel students have the advantage of having their 'Paper 3' as 'Alternative to Practicals' where they dont actually have to do the experiments. Plus, they have no such thing as 'Applications' in A2.

If you cannot do A level in one year, then you can do only AS. University classes will complete the rest.

Biology, though lengthy, is not a difficult subject. It requires dedication, that's all.
I actually dont have a lot of time.
I cant wait for my AS to finish and then start A2 cause i'll be starting A2 with school i.e. after few days. Its either that I start A2 and continue with my AS or dont do A2 at all.
Yes, I agree, it lengthy but not that difficult.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 05:08:25 pm by Ang3l »
If you are a man who degrades women then allow me to respectfully remind you that you came from ONE

Amelia

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 05:02:51 pm »
Don't do A2 at all, then.  ;)

Welcomee'0.  :D

Offline Romeesa-Chan

• Chère
  • Global Moderator
  • SF Overlord
  • "Be the person you want to meet."
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2011, 07:50:08 pm »
My suggestion will be do whole A2 as it's related to AS part. But, if you feel your time is limited then stick to AS alone.
If confused then just do Istikhara. ;)
Download SF Magazine 2012 here.

Offline $tyli$h Executive

• Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2011, 08:45:09 pm »
Okay, I decided to finish the edexcel AS biology course this summer. I thought i could do it but unfortunately i couldn't finish all of it *its a long course*.
Now, I need some advice from people who have done Edexcel A-level biology.

School is starting after few days and I need to decide if I should only do AS and forget the A2 or should I start with my A2 and continue with my AS as it is. Is that sensible? I asked a few other people and they said that both are related so it will be difficult to do A2 without properly finishing the AS part.

My university requirements will be fulfilled even if I do only AS biology but the reason why I thought of doing it as an a-level was that A-level means a lot more than just AS and it will make my chances of getting into uni higher.

Suggestions?

I did not take A level biology, so take my advice with a pinch of salt. If you're planning to give A2 biology in November and you've not finished AS yet, it might not be realistic to opt for A2. If you're planning to give A2 in 2012 June, you can go for it. :)

Offline The Golden Girl =D

• Without Allah I'm nothing <3
  • Honorary Member
  • SF Overlord
  • Ain't Nothin worth your tears =D
    • www.thegoldengirl157.blogspot.com
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2011, 08:50:00 pm »
^ you mean January not November since it's Edexcel not CIE ;)
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest(13:28)

Please, Don't forget to Include GG in your Prayers =D

• Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2011, 09:03:20 pm »
^ you mean January not November since it's Edexcel not CIE ;)

Oh yeah, thanks for the correction. :)

Offline Malak

• Honorary Member
  • SF Farseer
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2011, 09:04:23 pm »
^ Yeah, its jan :P

If i go for A2 then this is how it will be:
Jan exams ---> AS Bio unit 1 + unit 3 and A2 bio unit 4
June ----> AS bio unit 2 + A2 bio unit 5 + 6

And including my other subjects which are Math, Phy, Chem

I havent touched unit 2 for AS bio and if the start of A2 requires me to have an understanding of AS bio unit 2 than i will end up understanding nothing, so this is my another main question --> Is AS and A2 both related as in to start with A2 do I need to finish up my whole AS course or unit 1 will do for now.  ::)

Offline The Golden Girl =D

• Without Allah I'm nothing <3
  • Honorary Member
  • SF Overlord
  • Ain't Nothin worth your tears =D
    • www.thegoldengirl157.blogspot.com
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2011, 09:09:53 pm »
Ang3l I don't know about Biology.

In Math if you take C1 and C3 ,you won't survive since C2 concepts are the like the basics before going to C3 and C4 which are the 'in depth'.

I hope I helped =]
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest(13:28)

Please, Don't forget to Include GG in your Prayers =D

• Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2011, 09:15:50 pm »
Ang3l I don't know about Biology.

In Math if you take C1 and C3 ,you won't survive since C2 concepts are the like the basics before going to C3 and C4 which are the 'in depth'.

I hope I helped =]

LOL. :D

@Angel: I don't have a clear knowledge of Edexcel syllabus. Maybe someone who has taken Edexcel Biology can help you?

Amelia

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2011, 11:53:55 am »
I can't find the Edexcel syllabus to answer properly, Angel.

I'll try to find Amii.  ::)

Offline Romeesa-Chan

• Chère
  • Global Moderator
  • SF Overlord
  • "Be the person you want to meet."
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2011, 01:43:58 pm »
I will be honest here with my opinion. ::)

Ang3l darling, you are planning on doing Medicine (Insha Allah), right ?

Well. . .then I am sure you know how very important Biology is for Medicine (along with Chemistry, of course).

Even though the Uni says AS Biology is fine but if you stick only with AS then it might somehow show that you are not very 'passionate' about your course (Medicine).

Just expressing my feelings - keep your options open. ;)

The decision is yours.

Edit: I PMed MKh to help you out here since she did whole A-level Biology in a year. =)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 05:07:39 pm by Romeesa-Chan »
Download SF Magazine 2012 here.

Offline Malak

• Honorary Member
  • SF Farseer
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2011, 01:41:31 pm »
I will be honest here with my opinion. ::)

Ang3l darling, you are planning on doing Medicine (Insha Allah), right ?

Well. . .then I am sure you know how very important Biology is for Medicine (along with Chemistry, of course).

Even though the Uni says AS Biology is fine but if you stick only with AS then it might somehow show that you are not very 'passionate' about your course (Medicine).

Just expressing my feelings - keep your options open. ;)

The decision is yours.

Edit: I PMed MKh to help you out here since she did whole A-level Biology in a year. =)
Yes, you are right but being practical do you think I can start with A2 while I havent finished my AS course?
I cant wait for my AS to finish and then start with A2 cause either I HAVE to start my A2 course with school or forget about it.  :-\

I did talk to MKH once and she said that its better if I finish off with AS first and then start A2.
Ahh, I talked to my teacher and she simply said its your decision only   ::). Now I am gonna talk to my head teacher and lets see what she has to say about it.

Offline MKh

• SF Geek
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2011, 04:46:27 pm »
Salaam angel,

I hope u understand that the jump from IGCSEs/GCSEs to AS is a very big one and so is one from AS to A2 but not as big a jump as that from IGCSEs/GCSEs to AS. We do not have to do the mistake of rushing in such an important part of our academic life. Skills can't b crammed for but they r gradually built up. I hope u understand wut i mean here.

I know it will look good in ur medical application (u r applying for medicine, ryt?) that u hav done all ur 4 A levels in a single year (this is wut u r planning to do, ryt?) but they won't really decide whether to give u a place in medical school on this basis. Atleast this is wut i know.

My suggestions: Don't pressurise urself. Finish ur AS units first because the A2 units r synoptic. Synoptic means u will need to use knowledge from different areas of ur A level course to answer the questions asked. First take the AS units with ur A level board and see wut u hav to do differently the next time. The A2 units r also a bit more advanced than the AS ones and the topics in the A2 units require a much deeper understanding than those in the AS ones. After all, the A level grades r used by institutes worldwide to decide who to give a place and who to not and ofcourse many other things matter as well but wut i mean is that u can't take risks here, can u dear? I strongly suggest u to start with AS at school, see how it is and ofcourse study at home as well. Divide ur AS units between the January '12 and June '12 exam sessions. But do remember, do not underestimate A levels. If while doing AS at school u think u can also do the A2 units, u can always start studying for A2 at home and take the exams if u wish.

In the Edexcel A2 Biology units this year, we were also tested on different areas of the AS course. Indeed the A2 topics build up from the AS ones. Haven't u noticed in the Edexcel A2 Biology textbook how the different topics r built up from the AS topics?

But everything is possible if u r willing to work hard and achieve ur goals successfully. On the other hand, studies aren't supposed to make things difficult for us. We study so that we become better humans and live happily. I don't want to sound like a granny but atleast these r the suggestions that i wud giv u as a sister.

If u wud like to ask anything, u r always more than welcome to ask. Hope it helps dear. Take care and Good Luck.