Author Topic: The Rare diseases.  (Read 9280 times)

Amelia

The Rare diseases.
« on: July 31, 2011, 08:22:53 pm »
Porphyria, the Vampire Disease.

The Vampire Disease, or porphyria in scientific term, is a set of genetic disorders characterized by the malfunction of the hemoglobin production. It is a rare disease that is said to originate from the intermarriages of the European nobility.

Good news - not contagious.
Bad news - not curable.

While the term “porphyria” is relatively new, the disease itself has been in existence since the beginning of time. It is referred to, before, as a liver or a blood disease due to its symptoms. It was later called the “Vampire Disease” and was actually the start of the vampire legend.

People suffering from porphyria have symptoms manifested by mythological vampires. Their skin is sensitive to sunlight, their urine is reddish to purplish in color, the gums are shrunk making the teeth looking more prominent and canine-like and they have an averse reaction to garlic. Likewise, people suffering from porphyria will feel constant abdominal pains, will have increased hair growth, bouts of vomits and tightened skin.

The Vampire Disease is the reason why vampires can be considered real. They exist because the folks during the era of the Inquisition refer to patients with porphyria as “vampires”. However, they are far from what we now see on TV or the movies. They are not dangerous, in fact they are sick. The facts enumerated hereunder are the reasons that gave birth to the comtemporary vampires that we now know of.

1)   Sensitive to sunlight – When a porphyria sufferer is exposed to the rays of the sun, his skin and face get disfigured and blackened. It also ruptures and swells and the resulting sores have thick hair growing from it.

2)   Fangs – The fangs that vampires have are actually the appearance that a porphyria patient gets when his ears and nose start to be eaten away resulting to red lips that peel back from his receding gums. This results into the exposed fang-like teeth that are quite gruesome and frightening in appearance.

3)   Drinking of blood – Since porphyria patients have purple-colored urine, it is widely believe then that this was because they drink blood. Aside from this however, there were really some instances when they did drink blood. However, it was animal blood that they used to drink as a means to relieve their anemia and pain.

4)   Garlic to ward-off vampires – It may come as a surprise but even this has basis. Porphyria patients has aversion to garlic since the chemicals contained in it aggravates their symptoms. They can experience agonizing pain because of garlic.

5)   No reflection in mirrors - It is believed that it must be very hard for any porphyria sufferer to see his appearance once he reached the later stage of the disease where he would have his nose, ears and lips eaten away and his canine-like teeth exposed in an ugly grin. Thus, it is but normal for him to avoid mirrors so as not to see his own deplorable reflection.

6)   Aggresiveness – Those with acute porphyria are diagnosed to be irritable, uncooperative, violent and aggressive. They would swear and are basically disinhibited. This may be the reason they are taken to be dangerous.

With the knowledge about porphyria, people are made aware of the scientific basis of vampires. Most importantly, it will be known that the original concept about vampires is way too far from the truth. Instead of fearing them, people with Vampire Disease should instead be given love and taken cared of.

So, now we know where the legends come from.  ::)

Source - http://factoidz.com/porphyria-the-vampire-disease-that-started-the-legend/
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 08:25:15 pm by Amelia »

Offline Romeesa-Chan

• Chère
  • Global Moderator
  • SF Overlord
  • "Be the person you want to meet."
Re: The Rare diseases.
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 08:27:18 pm »

EDIT: I saw some pictures and it's sad. :(
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 08:37:29 pm by Romeesa-Chan »
Download SF Magazine 2012 here.

Amelia

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 08:33:15 pm »
Some more extremely odd diseases.

Alice in Wonderland syndrome - Clinicaly know as Micropsia, Alice in Wonderland Syndrome causes victims to have a malfunction in how their brain processes visual data, despite the lack of any problem with their eyes.
 As a result objects, other people, animals, and so on are percieved by the victim as being much smaller than they actually are. Victims have reported looking at dogs and seeing them as the size of mice, or looking at people who are very tall however seeing them as much shorter.

The disease got its name from the fact that Lewis Carrol (the author of Alice in Wonderland) was considered to be suffering from it.  Can you believe that?  :P

Werewolf Syndrome:
Abys DeJesus led doctors to conclude that she had “Human Werewolf Syndrome”, at just 2 years old, when she grew patches of dark hair on her face. Very simply, the explanation for the name is the fact that individuals who have it look very much like werewolves. Rumor has it that two brothers suffering from the disease in Mexico were offered a part on the X-Files, but turned it down!

Progeria: the 80-Year-Old Children:  
Progeria is caused by a single small defect in a child’s genetic code, yet it has devastating and life-changing consequences. On average, a child born having this disease will be dead by the age of 13. While they see their bodies speed through the normal process of ageing they develop striking physical symptoms, often including premature baldness, heart disease, thinning bones as well as arthritis. Progeria is incredibly rare, there are only about 48 people living with it in the whole world. However, there is a family that has five children with the disease.

~ There are many more like this, I've only posted a few. :P

« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 08:35:51 pm by Amelia »

Offline Romeesa-Chan

• Chère
  • Global Moderator
  • SF Overlord
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 08:38:50 pm »
^Makes me sad. =[

Amelia

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 08:42:02 pm »
^Makes me sad. =[

Be grateful we are hale and hearty. =]

Offline Romeesa-Chan

• Chère
  • Global Moderator
  • SF Overlord
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2011, 09:06:40 pm »
Be grateful we are hale and hearty. =]
I am, alhamdulillah.

Offline Shoshou..Mony

• Retired Admin~!
  • Honorary Member
  • SF Overlord
  • I WILL make a change inshAllah. =]
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2011, 09:24:43 pm »
Yes, I read a medical article about werewolf that it's a disease and they do exist.

Now, I never knew Vampire existed!

I must share this with my dad like I shared the werewolf article with him and expect his same reply 'It's a myth and the internet is full of many...'. ::) :P

Sometimes, ALLAH breaks our heart to make us whole.
Sometimes, ALLAH allows pain so we can be stronger.
Sometimes, ALLAH sends us failure so we can be humble.
Sometimes, ALLAH takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything HE gave us.

When Allah leads you to the edge of difficulty... either ALLAH will catch you when you fall or ALLAH will teach you how to fly! =]

Please make them strong ya Allah...

Romeesa-chan...<3

Amelia

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2011, 09:37:47 pm »
Yes, I read a medical article about werewolf that it's a disease and they do exist.

I must share this with my dad like I shared the werewolf article with him and expect his same reply 'It's a myth and the internet is full of many...'. ::) :P

LOL. They do exist, though. They are just rare:) 

Offline Romeesa-Chan

• Chère
  • Global Moderator
  • SF Overlord
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2011, 09:38:35 pm »

Same here! I never knew about the Vamp disease but I read about werewolf disease!
I assume that'll be my Dad's answer too. ::)

Offline Malak

• Honorary Member
  • SF Farseer
  • A warm smile is the universal language of kindness
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2011, 10:14:45 pm »
Wow :o I always wondered how this vampire stuff actually came into existence :o

Now I know, its a disease but the movies and tv portray as if being a vampire is so kool  ::)

Thanks for sharing =)
+ rep
If you are a man who degrades women then allow me to respectfully remind you that you came from ONE

Reminder to myself: Stop worrying and start working

SF magazine 2012 - Download here

Offline $tyli$h Executive

• Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2011, 08:33:50 am »
Horrible disease. :-/

Offline Tohru Kyo Sohma

• Destination Jannah
  • SF Master
  • :)
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2011, 10:26:18 am »
^awesome amelia
this facts are incredible as well as sad:(
vampires disease?wow........i sometimes taught they existed...but never taught of it as a disease!

Offline Arthur Bon Zavi

• |Sun of Tomorrow... =]|
  • SF V.I.P
  • Fiducia in questo uomo ciecamente.
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2011, 12:35:14 pm »
Must have heard of progeria in the movie Paa.

Continuous efforts matter more than the outcome.
- NU

Amelia

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2011, 01:07:27 pm »
EDIT: I saw some pictures and it's sad. :(

Ahh.. yes. The "Adonis Edward" and "ice-cold barbie; Rosalie" are just fictional.  :P ::)

People with these disease are suffering.

Wow :o I always wondered how this vampire stuff actually came into existence :o

Now I know, its a disease but the movies and tv portray as if being a vampire is so kool  ::)

Thanks for sharing =)
+ rep

Thanks, Angel.  ;)

Horrible disease. :-/

There are more horrible ones.  :(

Must have heard of progeria in the movie Paa.

This was the concept of the movie, I suppose.  :P

^awesome amelia
this facts are incredible as well as sad:(
vampires disease?wow........i sometimes taught they existed...but never taught of it as a disease!

It's incredible, though. How they turned a disease into something so 'epic'.  ::)

Thanks.

Offline Master_Key

• SF Master
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2011, 01:54:37 pm »
Amazingly rare diseases.