Author Topic: Animal Rights  (Read 2210 times)

Offline Most UniQue™

• Global Moderator
  • SF Farseer
Animal Rights
« on: July 30, 2011, 09:22:55 pm »
There are many contexts in which the question of ‘animal rights’ comes up. Should we farm animals? If so by what techniques? Should we eat animals? Should we hunt and fish them? Is it morally acceptable to use animals as sources of entertainment in the context of zoos, circuses, horse racing etc.? Is it right to use animals for experimenting cosmetics?

Please give your comments on this.

Offline $tyli$h Executive

• Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
Re: Animal Rights
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 01:52:15 am »
Human beings are infinitely more complex than any other living creatures. Their abilities to think and talk, to form social systems with rights and responsibilities, and to feel emotions are developed well beyond any other animals. It is reasonable to try to prevent the most obvious cases of gratuitous suffering or torture of animals, but beyond that, non-human animals in general do not deserve to be given ‘rights’.

Offline Malak

• SF Farseer
  • A warm smile is the universal language of kindness
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 01:24:51 pm »
Should we eat animals? Should we hunt and fish them?
Thats how the life-cycle works. For example, A goat eats grass or A big fish will eat a smaller one, and in turn we eat that fish. We cant say eating animals is wrong, if that is the case then what about the animals who eat other animasl? is that wrong --> no cause that is their way of surviving and same is for us humans.

Is it morally acceptable to use animals as sources of entertainment in the context of zoos, circuses, horse racing etc.?
I dont think the sole purpose of a Zoo is to entertain people but also to 'protect' animals. In a zoo animals get extra care and attention, special care-takers are employed and special food etc.

But ofcourse torturing animal or so is wrong and it should be prevented.
If you are a man who degrades women then allow me to respectfully remind you that you came from ONE

Reminder to myself: Stop worrying and start working

SF magazine 2012 - Download here

Offline Romeesa-Chan

• Chère
  • Global Moderator
  • SF Overlord
  • "Be the person you want to meet."
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 01:27:29 pm »
Thats how the life-cycle works. For example, A goat eats grass or A big fish will eat a smaller one, and in turn we eat that fish. We cant say eating animals is wrong, if that is the case then what about the animals who eat other animasl? is that wrong --> no cause that is their way of surviving and same is for us humans.
I dont think the sole purpose of a Zoo is to entertain people but also to 'protect' animals. In a zoo animals get extra care and attention, special care-takers are employed and special food etc.

Agreed.
Download SF Magazine 2012 here.

Offline Chingoo

• Prima Donna u__u
  • SF Senior Citizen
  • RAWR
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 12:24:14 am »
I don't support animal rights, however I'm all for animal welfare. Many people have elaborated this quite well but I wanted to add to it a little ^^ Consider a scenario. You're a rich and benevolent person and you come across a homeless guy who needs help. One thing you can do is get him a place to live, a supply of food and education/work so he can stand on his two feet. The other thing that can be done is that you get him a personal spa, swimming pool and an entire range of original Apple products. Which of the two ideas actually seem plausible?

If we start treat animals like they're humans, we're doing nothing for their welfare but instead spoiling their natural selection and wild behavior. It's sad to see that people waste so much money on their pets and the wild which is no longer just about welfare and goodwill but it goes to extremes. People have campaigns for not letting dogs' hair be dyed because that means they're being forced to do things against their will--such petty campaigns can be exerted for more valid reasons than dogs having the freewill to decide the color of their coat. For instance, where my sister lives in England, there are a lot of foxes and there are reported cases of foxes entering homes and eating or mutilating babies. However, in name of animal welfare, they do not do anything to the foxes. It seems sweet, but it's actually costing human lives and it's no longer helping anyone but it's teaching the foxes in the area to prey on humans whensoever needed. This kind of attitude is detrimental for both us and the animals.
All that is on earth will perish:
But will abide (forever) the Face of thy Lord--full of Majesty, Bounty & Honor.
Then which of the favors of your Lord will ye deny?

Qura'n, Chapter 55: The Beneficent, Verses 26-28

Offline Romeesa-Chan

• Chère
  • Global Moderator
  • SF Overlord
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 02:25:10 am »
I don't support animal rights, however I'm all for animal welfare. Many people have elaborated this quite well but I wanted to add to it a little ^^ Consider a scenario. You're a rich and benevolent person and you come across a homeless guy who needs help. One thing you can do is get him a place to live, a supply of food and education/work so he can stand on his two feet. The other thing that can be done is that you get him a personal spa, swimming pool and an entire range of original Apple products. Which of the two ideas actually seem plausible?

If we start treat animals like they're humans, we're doing nothing for their welfare but instead spoiling their natural selection and wild behavior. It's sad to see that people waste so much money on their pets and the wild which is no longer just about welfare and goodwill but it goes to extremes. People have campaigns for not letting dogs' hair be dyed because that means they're being forced to do things against their will--such petty campaigns can be exerted for more valid reasons than dogs having the freewill to decide the color of their coat. For instance, where my sister lives in England, there are a lot of foxes and there are reported cases of foxes entering homes and eating or mutilating babies. However, in name of animal welfare, they do not do anything to the foxes. It seems sweet, but it's actually costing human lives and it's no longer helping anyone but it's teaching the foxes in the area to prey on humans whensoever needed. This kind of attitude is detrimental for both us and the animals.

Well said. 100% agreed. (: :P

Offline iluvme

• Smile, the world will smile back. :)
  • SF Farseer
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 07:08:19 am »

Just wondering, how about the killing of other animals to feed these 'protected' animals.

Animals are best left where they ought to be. You could go on safaris if you want to be entertained. :D
I believe in killing the messenger. Know why? It sends  message.
~Damon Salvatore~

• Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 07:11:55 am »
Just wondering, how about the killing of other animals to feed these 'protected' animals.

Animals are best left where they ought to be. You could go on safaris if you want to be entertained. :D

Its a part of the food chain. Natural stuff. ::)

Offline iluvme

• Smile, the world will smile back. :)
  • SF Farseer
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 07:16:34 am »
Its a part of the food chain. Natural stuff. ::)

So then why go against natural and 'protect' animals by having them in a zoo?
I believe in killing the messenger. Know why? It sends  message.
~Damon Salvatore~

• Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2011, 07:21:55 am »

Having them in  a zoo allows people to watch and interact with animals safely. Yes, they may do the same in a safari, but it may not be safe. ;)

Offline Romeesa-Chan

• Chère
  • Global Moderator
  • SF Overlord
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2011, 01:02:30 pm »

Protection of endangered species. ;)

Offline astarmathsandphysics

• SF Overlord
  • Free the exam papers!
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2011, 01:07:00 pm »
Animals have rights. Could you kill your pets? Or are animal rights restricted to your pets?