Author Topic: Homeschooling or Otherwise?  (Read 6085 times)

Offline iluvme

• Smile, the world will smile back. :)
  • SF Farseer
Homeschooling or Otherwise?
« on: July 16, 2011, 11:19:09 pm »
I have no idea if a thread like this was started previously, if there was. Mods please remove this, *No, I;m not lazy :P*

Anyways, the topic says it all, Is homeschooling better or public schooling better?

There are two sides to a coin, take whichever sides you wish! :D
I believe in killing the messenger. Know why? It sends  message.
~Damon Salvatore~

Offline Romeesa-Chan

• Chère
  • Global Moderator
  • SF Overlord
  • "Be the person you want to meet."
Re: Homeschooling or Otherwise?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 11:21:47 pm »
Private schools FTW!  8)
Download SF Magazine 2012 here.

Offline iluvme

• Smile, the world will smile back. :)
  • SF Farseer
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 11:27:26 pm »
Private schools FTW!  8)

I meant public schools in the sense, like we going to schools instead of learning at home. :)
I believe in killing the messenger. Know why? It sends  message.
~Damon Salvatore~

Offline Romeesa-Chan

• Chère
  • Global Moderator
  • SF Overlord
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 11:29:30 pm »
I meant public schools in the sense, like we going to schools instead of learning at home. :)

Public schools then.

Better education facility, more interaction with different people and more experience gained. :D :P

Offline Shoshou..Mony

• Retired Admin~!
  • Honorary Member
  • SF Overlord
  • I WILL make a change inshAllah. =]
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 01:34:18 am »
I tried BOTH and let me tell you 'home schooling' drove me CRAZY.

I hate it. Totally hate home schooling.

1)You never follow a timetable.
2)You never be able to study no matter how hard you try. There will always be a distraction or 'I'll start from tomorrow' said.
3)No socializing and that is a disaster! A big one. Socializing is very important to every human being in this earth and it makes us more confident also mentally we would be better.
4)Boring.
5)You become VERY lazy, you don't go out, you don't get new friends, you wake up late everyday so basically it's not a healthy thing.
6)A school is not just for the sake of teaching a syllabus. A school is there for us to meet new people, to socialize, to learn manners and know how to behave.

The only advantage about it is that you don't have to wake up early everyday.

Sometimes, ALLAH breaks our heart to make us whole.
Sometimes, ALLAH allows pain so we can be stronger.
Sometimes, ALLAH sends us failure so we can be humble.
Sometimes, ALLAH takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything HE gave us.

When Allah leads you to the edge of difficulty... either ALLAH will catch you when you fall or ALLAH will teach you how to fly! =]

Please make them strong ya Allah...

Romeesa-chan...<3

Offline The Golden Girl =D

• Without Allah I'm nothing <3
  • Honorary Member
  • SF Overlord
  • Ain't Nothin worth your tears =D
    • www.thegoldengirl157.blogspot.com
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 03:56:26 am »
I think going to a Public school is a better idea because of the following :

Interaction with other people i.e. "New" people
You have longer list of friends :P
Learn how to behave under Rules and Regulations of School *teaches you to abide by the Law in my Opinion*
Disciplines  you in case you violated the Rules
Facilities *You can Experiment what you're learning without any hindrance*
Learn that a Timetable or Routine is needed for your life to be under control *In Summer vacation our sleeping timings are way different than when we were in School*

I guess that's all =]
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest(13:28)

Please, Don't forget to Include GG in your Prayers =D

Offline $tyli$h Executive

• Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 09:15:04 am »
I think home schooling is a better option provided that you are disciplined.

Offline HUSH1994

• SF Farseer
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2011, 12:05:08 pm »
I prefer homeschooling,you get to study whenever you want and the subjects you want,unlike schools in general,thats my view as I never follow plans no matter how much I try,and I think doing whatever you want whenever you want when you are a responsible person is something good :)

Offline Chingoo

• Prima Donna u__u
  • SF Senior Citizen
  • RAWR
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 01:04:51 am »
I'm a very composed person who comes across as very odd and unfit for social interaction in social gatherings. I'm always the misfit and though recently I've learned to express myself more, I'm still the freak of the flock. I prefer homeschooling and intend to implement it as a mother, though I intend to compensate the factor of social interaction by other activities in which I can be personally present or at close reach like family gatherings, social clubs, swimming, etc. Of course, I'm talking about homeschooling at a younger age, after which one should be gradually shifted to normal schooling, in my opinion.

It's mostly because I think that the environment and teaching syllabus of today's institutions is really down in the drain. I can't shroud my children and don't intend to, but if they're anything like me I know I would've wanted to have studied under some sort of support from my parents, seeing the psychological and physical abuse I face when I was a little girl. So, homeschooling it is. :)
All that is on earth will perish:
But will abide (forever) the Face of thy Lord--full of Majesty, Bounty & Honor.
Then which of the favors of your Lord will ye deny?

Qura'n, Chapter 55: The Beneficent, Verses 26-28

Offline Romeesa-Chan

• Chère
  • Global Moderator
  • SF Overlord
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2011, 02:17:06 am »
I'm a very composed person who comes across as very odd and unfit for social interaction in social gatherings. I'm always the misfit and though recently I've learned to express myself more, I'm still the freak of the flock. I prefer homeschooling and intend to implement it as a mother, though I intend to compensate the factor of social interaction by other activities in which I can be personally present or at close reach like family gatherings, social clubs, swimming, etc. Of course, I'm talking about homeschooling at a younger age, after which one should be gradually shifted to normal schooling, in my opinion.

It's mostly because I think that the environment and teaching syllabus of today's institutions is really down in the drain. I can't shroud my children and don't intend to, but if they're anything like me I know I would've wanted to have studied under some sort of support from my parents, seeing the psychological and physical abuse I face when I was a little girl. So, homeschooling it is. :)

That was a good point. Completely understandable.

Offline ~ Miss Relina ~

• SF Senior Citizen
  • Every rose has a thorn
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2012, 11:48:09 am »
well I liked that topic

In my opinion , it is a matter of time changing , so long time ago 'for example your parents time ' the education through schools was much better , that's due to the fact that technology didn't meet the needs of the students at all sothey have to rely totally on the schools theoritically and practically. However , as the time proceeds , the intellctual technology develops causing more students to dispence with schools because they save time wasted at schools . This fact maybe noticed in teachers who mostly neglect the students at school forcing them to rely on the private tuitions so that they get paid by another way that's shameless but it's a fact which end up  a student not having enough time to study. Moreover , technology has provided the twenty-first century student with online books , youtube eductional videos , online tutors ,and forums like this one  ;D
which make the student able to depend on himself/herself.

On the other hand , schools have a considerable role in the social part of the student life . This can be expressed in providing the student with experience needed to sail through the long life journey , make him/her able to take decisions in the everyday life , make friends ,..etc . As a result , the student will have confidence to interact with the community especially that most homeschooloing students who don't have any activites feel depressed and suffer from low self-esteem .

that's all for me ;)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 08:00:33 pm by ~ Miss Relina ~ »
~~~Yarab everything turns alright at the end ~~~
    -----------Ameeeeeeeeeeen------------

Offline MiniLuv

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 04:16:13 am »
I've found that people who have been homeschooled work a lot better when they join highschool than others that have been educated in school their whole life. This is because those who are homeschooled have already adapted to the distractions at home, and are used to studying in that environment.

A bad thing about homeschooling is that there is very little competition in academia at a daily basis, which is why I suggest you move to highschool at that age. Ultimately, it's the best of both worlds.

Offline MKh

• SF Geek
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2012, 01:23:18 pm »
According to what I know, homeschooling and self-teaching are two different things. Homeschooling involves a tuition teacher for each subject coming over to your home and teaching you the syllabus. Self-teaching involves a student teaching ownself the syllabus and taking the board exams through an external centre.

I have done self-teaching througout the past three years and I choosed to do so because most my teachers were very unreliable.
I believe it is worth it provided that you are responsible and motivated enough to work on your own.

During my IGCSEs at school, my teachers never bothered to teach the difficult chapters, more than half of our day used to be free and a few students spent whole day at school sleeping. When i started self-teaching at home, I used to wake up early, teach myself alot everyday, stayed active by doing the house chores and even had social contacts by taking work experience. Now even if my exams get over, I am so determined to start studying again after I finish my last exam.

Offline ~ Miss Relina ~

• SF Senior Citizen
  • Every rose has a thorn
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2012, 03:28:35 pm »
According to what I know, homeschooling and self-teaching are two different things. Homeschooling involves a tuition teacher for each subject coming over to your home and teaching you the syllabus. Self-teaching involves a student teaching ownself the syllabus and taking the board exams through an external centre.

I have done self-teaching througout the past three years and I choosed to do so because most my teachers were very unreliable.
I believe it is worth it provided that you are responsible and motivated enough to work on your own.

During my IGCSEs at school, my teachers never bothered to teach the difficult chapters, more than half of our day used to be free and a few students spent whole day at school sleeping. When i started self-teaching at home, I used to wake up early, teach myself alot everyday, stayed active by doing the house chores and even had social contacts by taking work experience. Now even if my exams get over, I am so determined to start studying again after I finish my last exam.

oh well the first point was a good one although I missed it up there and wrote about self-teaching sorry
Thanks for your clarification ;)
~~~Yarab everything turns alright at the end ~~~
    -----------Ameeeeeeeeeeen------------

Offline ExamPapersGeek

• SF Geek
    • The Education Directory
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2012, 01:59:17 pm »
Home schooling is good until a certain age. You learn a lot more.

I was home schooled until grade 6.

Now boarding school is a much different conversation