Author Topic: Need to get out of the hole I've dug myself into  (Read 4630 times)

Offline ugotserved

Need to get out of the hole I've dug myself into
« on: June 21, 2011, 06:00:55 pm »
I'm not sure if I posted this in the proper section, if I didn't my sincere apologies and please move it to the correct section.

I'm going to keep it short and not make it really long and boring. I did really well at school until grade 9 and then started going down hill. I honestly don't know why I couldn't,  I started slacking off and didn't study at all, no matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't get myself to open up a book and revise until the day before an exam, which is definitely not enough for AS and A levels. I even looked into ADD lol, because I would easily get drawn to different things, when I tried to study. I guess it was something I had to go through. sh*t happens. I did awful in my AS and A levels, I want to change and I want to get myself back to the top where I belong, but I'm confused about what to do. I was thinking of studying hard through the summer and redo all my AS levels in January next year and then apply to university with them. I will redo my A2 as well in June if I have the time, yeah I know it's a lot but it's doable.  During the high school graduation is when I realized what a grave mistake I've done, because I know for a fact that I'm capable of achieving excellence but at graduation it didn't feel like I'd really earned it with the way I performed in my AS and A2 exams. I was thinking of redoing the exams in the British council because I really don't want to go back to school, I know I can do it on my own better than being taught by average teachers. The other option is apply for community college, I don't really want to do this because I feel that redoing the AS is a much better idea.

I realized that I don't want to be a guy that flunked in high school and gave up when I had my whole life ahead of me to fix things and dig myself out of the hole.

I just wanted let this out as well as to see what all of you thought about this, and get some advice on it. Should I follow through with the plan?

Thanks   :D

Offline Most UniQue™

• Global Moderator
  • SF Farseer
Re: Need to get out of the hole I've dug myself into
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 06:34:22 pm »
Dude that means you wasted 2 years of your life!

Offline ugotserved

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 06:42:44 pm »

I did mess up my education but I did learn many other things over those 2 years and enjoyed it, I don't see it as a waste, but hey even if it was, being depressed about it isn't going to help anything lol.

Offline Most UniQue™

• Global Moderator
  • SF Farseer
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 06:49:59 pm »
I did mess up my education but I did learn many other things over those 2 years and enjoyed it, I don't see it as a waste, but hey even if it was, being depressed about it isn't going to help anything lol.

Lol yah there's no way other then resitting for the exams...

Offline Chingoo

• Prima Donna u__u
  • SF Senior Citizen
  • RAWR
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 07:31:02 pm »
Studies aren't everything in life. There's a lot more to life than an A-Level certificate. Academically, yes, he's lagging behind by 2 years but seriously who gives a...muffin ::) There's no point ruining the rest of his life, which is hopefully much more than those 2 years he spent doing other things.

To the original poster: your plan sounds good if you think you can actually cover the entire course in this time. Don't overtax yourself: if you can't do it, might as well take a few extra months where you've let time out of your hand already. BUT, if you're like me it's better to keep yourself short of time xD I tend to study at the very last minute, so shorter time period is probably just as good for me. Keep yourself focused: 2 years are nothing. People have to start all over again sometimes, for reasons like disease and whatnot. You're lucky to have consciousness of this and you should give it your best shot. Don't let anything stop you, it doesn't matter how long you take to get to your destination, it matters who you become once you reach your destination :) So make this worth the while and best wishes <3
All that is on earth will perish:
But will abide (forever) the Face of thy Lord--full of Majesty, Bounty & Honor.
Then which of the favors of your Lord will ye deny?

Qura'n, Chapter 55: The Beneficent, Verses 26-28

Offline ugotserved

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 07:53:46 pm »
Studies aren't everything in life. There's a lot more to life than an A-Level certificate. Academically, yes, he's lagging behind by 2 years but seriously who gives a...muffin ::) There's no point ruining the rest of his life, which is hopefully much more than those 2 years he spent doing other things.

To the original poster: your plan sounds good if you think you can actually cover the entire course in this time. Don't overtax yourself: if you can't do it, might as well take a few extra months where you've let time out of your hand already. BUT, if you're like me it's better to keep yourself short of time xD I tend to study at the very last minute, so shorter time period is probably just as good for me. Keep yourself focused: 2 years are nothing. People have to start all over again sometimes, for reasons like disease and whatnot. You're lucky to have consciousness of this and you should give it your best shot. Don't let anything stop you, it doesn't matter how long you take to get to your destination, it matters who you become once you reach your destination :) So make this worth the while and best wishes <3

When I was reading what you posted I could feel the fire of inspiration blazing in my chest, Thanks a lot for your words and wishes, I truly appreciate it and I wish you all the best in life :)

Offline Shoshou..Mony

• Retired Admin~!
  • Honorary Member
  • SF Overlord
  • I WILL make a change inshAllah. =]
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 08:12:49 pm »
I lost one year of my life also. I did nothing in that year except sit online. I got awful grades and I remember entering the exam without evening knowing what the syllabus was about. It was the FIRST time in my life I do something like that, but tbh there was a lot happening in my real life. A lot of problems and I just..gave up by being all depressed and forgetting about my future. I must say, I was distant from God and everything was dark to me.

One day I look at myself and decide a change. A real change not just academically but a change of my attitude towards work and a change in my entire life. I decided I'm not going to end up dying like every other person and people forget about me later on..I decided I'll die leaving behind me a better world and be remembered with whatever I did to this world.

A change of plan... some people wish they can go to a school and others wish they could just have the opportunity we do. I decided I'll work so hard to be a successful person. I did my A2 this year, took a job as a teacher since I had loads of free time, starting reading more about my religion and trying to understand the real reason why we are here on this world and what must we do.

List your dreams down. Write your goals and work on them. Even if you fail, never give up..try again. You could be a person who got no goals in life and no dreams..or you could be a person who does. That person who got no dreams..is a dead person..missing out a lot in this world and is just useless while those who dream..are those who turn out to be the legends of this world.

It's never too later and I say those 2 lost years taught you a lesson. You came here willing to change. It doesn't feel good yes? It doesn't feel good not having anything to do.

I don't regret that year I missed..I look at it as a year of my life which was the turning point to who I am now and what I'll be in the future inshAllah.

My prayers with you. I'm DEFINITE you can do it as long as you have the will. Organize your time, make a plan yet don't stress yourself. You can study for 4 hours daily and have the rest as a break. I believe this will do enough. =]

« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 08:14:50 pm by Shoshou..Mony »

Sometimes, ALLAH breaks our heart to make us whole.
Sometimes, ALLAH allows pain so we can be stronger.
Sometimes, ALLAH sends us failure so we can be humble.
Sometimes, ALLAH takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything HE gave us.

When Allah leads you to the edge of difficulty... either ALLAH will catch you when you fall or ALLAH will teach you how to fly! =]

Please make them strong ya Allah...

Romeesa-chan...<3

Offline Malak

• Honorary Member
  • SF Farseer
  • A warm smile is the universal language of kindness
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 08:23:14 pm »
Its good that you realised it, to be honest even I sometimes dont feel like opening my books and studying during exam days and even in the normal school time but somehow I manage myself to get to study  ::)

I agree with chingoo, Its Never too late
The other option is apply for community college, I don't really want to do this because I feel that redoing the AS is a much better idea.
Do what you WANT to do 'cause forcing yourself to do something which you dont like is not going to help.
Since you feel that repeating AS is good for you and you can do better in it then you should definitely do it.

As chingoo mentioned you dont have to over stress yourself, there are people who take a gap year too, right? So better not to over stress your self, take your time and do well

"The past was never a mistake if you learned from it"

Best of Luck..!!
If you are a man who degrades women then allow me to respectfully remind you that you came from ONE

Reminder to myself: Stop worrying and start working

SF magazine 2012 - Download here

Offline ugotserved

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 08:48:48 pm »
I lost one year of my life also. I did nothing in that year except sit online. I got awful grades and I remember entering the exam without evening knowing what the syllabus was about. It was the FIRST time in my life I do something like that, but tbh there was a lot happening in my real life. A lot of problems and I just..gave up by being all depressed and forgetting about my future. I must say, I was distant from God and everything was dark to me.

One day I look at myself and decide a change. A real change not just academically but a change of my attitude towards work and a change in my entire life. I decided I'm not going to end up dying like every other person and people forget about me later on..I decided I'll die leaving behind me a better world and be remembered with whatever I did to this world.

A change of plan... some people wish they can go to a school and others wish they could just have the opportunity we do. I decided I'll work so hard to be a successful person. I did my A2 this year, took a job as a teacher since I had loads of free time, starting reading more about my religion and trying to understand the real reason why we are here on this world and what must we do.

List your dreams down. Write your goals and work on them. Even if you fail, never give up..try again. You could be a person who got no goals in life and no dreams..or you could be a person who does. That person who got no dreams..is a dead person..missing out a lot in this world and is just useless while those who dream..are those who turn out to be the legends of this world.

It's never too later and I say those 2 lost years taught you a lesson. You came here willing to change. It doesn't feel good yes? It doesn't feel good not having anything to do.

I don't regret that year I missed..I look at it as a year of my life which was the turning point to who I am now and what I'll be in the future inshAllah.

My prayers with you. I'm DEFINITE you can do it as long as you have the will. Organize your time, make a plan yet don't stress yourself. You can study for 4 hours daily and have the rest as a break. I believe this will do enough. =]

That's very true, a person without dreams truly has no direction or a meaningful life. Thank you for sharing. I know exactly what you mean, I had a lot going on in my life as well. I will try my best and yes I don't regret it either, it really HAS lead to a turning point in my life, it's time to get to the light at the end of the tunnel and achieve my dreams and goals. I wish you all the best with yours, again thank you  :D

Its good that you realised it, to be honest even I sometimes dont feel like opening my books and studying during exam days and even in the normal school time but somehow I manage myself to get to study  ::)

I agree with chingoo, Its Never too late. Do what you WANT to do 'cause forcing yourself to do something which you dont like is not going to help.
Since you feel that repeating AS is good for you and you can do better in it then you should definitely do it.

As chingoo mentioned you dont have to over stress yourself, there are people who take a gap year too, right? So better not to over stress your self, take your time and do well

"The past was never a mistake if you learned from it"

Best of Luck..!!

I guess it isn't, specially when you're just 18 years old lol. I will redo my AS because yeah that's what I really want to do. Yeah I won't stress myself, I will design a plan and get started on revision starting next week. Thank you for your advice  ;D

Offline Chingoo

• Prima Donna u__u
  • SF Senior Citizen
  • RAWR
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2011, 03:19:17 pm »
When I was reading what you posted I could feel the fire of inspiration blazing in my chest, Thanks a lot for your words and wishes, I truly appreciate it and I wish you all the best in life :)
Glad to have helped :D And you're welcome! :)
All that is on earth will perish:
But will abide (forever) the Face of thy Lord--full of Majesty, Bounty & Honor.
Then which of the favors of your Lord will ye deny?

Qura'n, Chapter 55: The Beneficent, Verses 26-28

Alpha

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2011, 07:07:20 pm »
+rep for the humility you showed in acknowledging your weaknesses. :)

Now, find and work on your strengths.

If you are a person like me, you'll work better and surpass yourself under the strain of competition. Find yourself the best competitor you can-- not to develop a self-destructive selfishness, but to avoid unhealthy complacency and narcissism-- which will definitely set you going further ahead and faster than the aim you had in mind.

If you cannot work under pressure, then make sure you don't waste a fraction of a second of the time you've left.

Cling to something that will lift you up when you're down, cling to God, and cling to your dreams.

And remember, everything comes with a cost. Sacrifice generously, don't care about whether you'll recoup the cost or not. It always comes, in any form, but it comes.

I like this quote a lot:
"Do not tell me what you have achieved until you have told me how much you had to overcome."

Will pray for you,
Best wishes.  :)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 07:23:54 pm by ~Alpha »

Offline ugotserved

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2011, 09:38:43 pm »
+rep for the humility you showed in acknowledging your weaknesses. :)

Now, find and work on your strengths.

If you are a person like me, you'll work better and surpass yourself under the strain of competition. Find yourself the best competitor you can-- not to develop a self-destructive selfishness, but to avoid unhealthy complacency and narcissism-- which will definitely set you going further ahead and faster than the aim you had in mind.

If you cannot work under pressure, then make sure you don't waste a fraction of a second of the time you've left.

Cling to something that will lift you up when you're down, cling to God, and cling to your dreams.

And remember, everything comes with a cost. Sacrifice generously, don't care about whether you'll recoup the cost or not. It always comes, in any form, but it comes.

I like this quote a lot:
"Do not tell me what you have achieved until you have told me how much you had to overcome."

Will pray for you,
Best wishes.  :)

"Find yourself the best competitor you can-- not to develop a self-destructive selfishness, but to avoid unhealthy complacency and narcissism" I love this, thanks a lot for your encouragement. I truly appreciate it, I will try my best. What I also realized is that, it helps me when the person I'm not competing with isn't my friend lol. That's what I think happened to me, when I became close friends with my competitors, I didn't care if I got higher than them or not then stopped caring at all. Ah well I have 2 of the best friends that are more than like brothers to me, I'm happy with that lol and the rest of the world can be my competitors :p Thanks again and I wish you all the best in you goals and life :)

Alpha

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2011, 06:22:40 am »
"Find yourself the best competitor you can-- not to develop a self-destructive selfishness, but to avoid unhealthy complacency and narcissism" I love this, thanks a lot for your encouragement. I truly appreciate it, I will try my best. What I also realized is that, it helps me when the person I'm not competing with isn't my friend lol. That's what I think happened to me, when I became close friends with my competitors, I didn't care if I got higher than them or not then stopped caring at all. Ah well I have 2 of the best friends that are more than like brothers to me, I'm happy with that lol and the rest of the world can be my competitors :p Thanks again and I wish you all the best in you goals and life :)

In my humble opinion and with no offence meant, you are wrong there. My biggest competitors have always been my best friends, and maybe that is why, we enjoyed the little pleasures of big challenges to the most. And believe me, if you handle it well, and you give it all your honesty and modesty, you will not only break the limits of your own potential, but you will also drag along the ladder, your two brother-like friends. :)

So, yes, it also a matter of perception and attitude. I hope you find some people who will suit to the task.

And you're most welcome. You asked for help here, you got served. Now, get to work. ;)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 06:35:58 am by ~Alpha »

Offline astarmathsandphysics

• SF Overlord
  • Free the exam papers!
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2011, 06:58:20 pm »
redo AS and learn to fear failure. Have nightmares about it and get up each day determined to avoid it.

Offline <3---*::..mIzi..::*---<3

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2011, 06:22:44 pm »
Salaams... :) :)  :) ;D  :)

I'd just like to say that the advice which many of you put up is indeed ABSOLUTELY SUUPERRR !!! :) :D ...
It has given me a bit of guidance tooo...

I'd really like to say **JAZAKALLAH** :)

And to the originator of this ''poll'' [if thats what this thing is called .. hehe .. Please mind me, I've joined this JUssT recently :$ ]
I have to say.. Masha Allah and Alhamdulillah .. You have taken a very wise decision .. May Allah alway be by yourside :) ....
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 06:38:42 pm by <3---*::..mIzi..::*---<3 »