Author Topic: Meteorology curriculum  (Read 1512 times)

0kelvin

Meteorology curriculum
« on: September 06, 2011, 08:09:35 pm »
Here is the list of disciplines that compose my curriculum. I'll have to pass trough all that in the course of the next years:

Differential and Integral calculus I, II, III, IV
Physics I, II, III, IV
Experimental physics I, II, III, IV
Vectors and analytic geometry (it's one discipline =P)
Linear algebra
Climatology I, II
Introduction to atmospheric sciences
Introduction to computing for exact sciences and technology (my university has other versions of this, such as one for humanities)
Meteorology instruments and observation methods
Atmospheric dynamics I, II
Introduction to ordinary and differential equations
Topics of applied math
Astronomy elements
Numerical calculus with applications to physics (again, my university has other versions of this, such as one for engineering or numerical calculus for mathematicians)
Foundations of Physical oceanography
Synoptic meteorology
Micrometeorology
Introduction to physics
Agrometeorology
Physical meteorology I, II
Meteorology with radar
Hydrometeorology

To conclude the course: that research / project (what's the name of that?) that you have to do during the last year.

It's a mixture of applied math and applied physics, because as far as I know that curriculum skips math / physics specifics, such as thermonadynamics or topology. Chemistry is supposed to be spreaded accross the course.

Sidenotes:
Disciplines are offered once per year for reasons ranging from number of students to teacher's availability.

There are some exceptions though. Some disciplines are shared between different courses and while one has it in the first semester of the year, the other has it in the second, making it possible for a student to postpone or to retake in the following semester if he/she has failed in the previous semester.

Some disciplines are restricted to departments. For example: differential and integral calculus, even though it's shared among many different courses, it might be restricted to students from one course or courses from one or more departments. Nevertherless, differential and integral calculus might differ from one course to another, making it impossible for a student to exchange his/her class for a class of a different course, because the content missmatches.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 08:18:23 pm by 0kelvin »