Author Topic: Careeer crisis, Big time!  (Read 2774 times)

Offline Qudsiyah

• SF Master
Careeer crisis, Big time!
« on: June 20, 2011, 10:19:12 pm »
okay .. i still don't know what i want to do .. i have applied to universities but alot of people have told me very different things which has got me all confused.
So i'm done with my Alevels.. i took business studies, Accounting and IT .
Now, i don't knw what i want to do anymore .. because everyone these days in doing business and accounting and there isn't much scope
for it, especially here in Tanzania, Africa. It's saturated with accountants and business managers.
I want to do something that i an do from home too as i don't really intend to work after the next 6 years or so.. unpredictable situations.
Is there anything else i can do ??? please help!

also, people told me i should take small certificate courses in physiotherapy and psychology but i thought you need specific subjects for that?!?!

i am just SO confused, need to figure out what i can do so i can start applying to the right universities.
please please please help me! 
" I don’t know what the key to success is, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone. "

Offline Chingoo

• Prima Donna u__u
  • SF Senior Citizen
  • RAWR
Re: Careeer crisis, Big time!
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 10:45:26 am »
The most important question is: what do you want to do? You just mentioned that you don't want to work after six years or on, or at least need a homey job. With online jobs emerging all around and online marketing becoming a proper profession, you can assume that it won't be impossible for you to work online or from home, depending on the kind of job market out there. I'll take a guess and assume that you don't have a lot of online jobs available in your department: even so, in the next six years it is very possible that online jobs are much more popular, especially in area of commerce and marketing because unlike engineering and medicine, the professional does not have to be with the patient/building/etc to do their job.

There are probably many people involved in these fields as bankers, researchers and chartered accountants, but if you're fond of it there should be no reason to not pursue it. Especially if you go for online jobs, which only selective people apply to, you'll have an advantage. Just because the market is saturated with these professionals now means nothing. New businesses, corporations and projects keep emerging. Contractual jobs also mean new workers would be hired for each project, with the convenience that you're bound to work for a certain period of time only. Recession is a worldwide gig and there's nothing you can do about it, whichever profession you take: pick a profession that you can enjoy and excel in, without making it an obsession or the bane of your existence. Saturated or not, the job market will welcome you if you have the capability.

You can check with universities offering courses your friends told you about and see what their requirements are. If they are not too selective and you want to go into those areas of study, that should be just as good. From your subject combination you can pursue Accounting & Finance, Economics, History, Geography, Linguistic Courses, Anthropological courses, Psychology, Computer Studies & IT, Graphic Design, Fine Arts and many others for all I know. So don't feel pressurized! If your parents are harmonious with your decision, pick a field you like and you are good at. Don't worry about things like 'there aren't enough jobs' because really, if you're going to get a job you will. Internet has already opened a door for working from home opportunities and you can always establish cottage-sized industries if that's your thing. Good luck!
All that is on earth will perish:
But will abide (forever) the Face of thy Lord--full of Majesty, Bounty & Honor.
Then which of the favors of your Lord will ye deny?

Qura'n, Chapter 55: The Beneficent, Verses 26-28

Offline Qudsiyah

• SF Master
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 11:26:29 am »
thankkss! ...
i've made up my mind .. i want to go into business ... maybe finance or HRM .. also .. maybe do some graphic designing ..
everyone had been confusing meee ... decided not to pay attention to them anymore!! .. it was just getting complicated
and what you said is true ... new companies keep on emerging ...

thank youu soo much for helping!!!
+rep!
" I don’t know what the key to success is, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone. "

Offline danielmartizen

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 07:46:03 am »
Today the country is going through a bad phase as US market is down because of which it has developed career crisis all over the world.At this moment we just need to clam and try to overcome these circumstances,and I think US will very soon come out of this and open job opportunity for many people.

Offline minicooper

• SF Immigrant
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 08:09:12 am »
I know this is a little bit off topic, but i don't think the US market will recover properly. For ages now people have been saying they will, but I doubt it. They are in a HUGE amount of debt.
You cannot do it by yourself. Dial B-I-B-L-E for help.

Offline Saladin

• The Samurai
  • Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
  • I believe in those who believe in me
    • Student Tech
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2011, 10:33:01 pm »
thankkss! ...
i've made up my mind .. i want to go into business ... maybe finance or HRM .. also .. maybe do some graphic designing ..
everyone had been confusing meee ... decided not to pay attention to them anymore!! .. it was just getting complicated
and what you said is true ... new companies keep on emerging ...

thank youu soo much for helping!!!
+rep!

Go for finance, they pay the most and there are jobs available.