Author Topic: Your Career Choice  (Read 9523 times)

Offline EMO123

• I Don't Know What To Do
  • SF V.I.P
  • Ficticious Boy
Re: Your Career Choice
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2011, 03:46:03 am »
i will also go with
I have something in my mind/ Confused

Offline Romeesa-Chan

• Chère
  • Global Moderator
  • SF Overlord
  • "Be the person you want to meet."
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2011, 03:50:51 am »
Genetics is a very awesome field IMO. Of course, very few people IRL agree :P

Well, I have no idea where you're from or what's the thing there, Hermoine, but I guess if I were you I'd do this:
1. Make sure you are applying to a university whose credit hours can be transferred. So that if you move, wherever you move to, you can transfer your credit hours to a particular university there (yes, you should do you research now in case you need to apply) and continue your studies. If you're not sure if the university has transferable credits, and exactly how much credit can be transferred, ask the university you're intending to apply to and also the university abroad you might have to go to, at any point.
2. Ask this university if you can split the money installments and whether they have a refund policy. You never know, they might listen. :)
3. Apply to both courses. If you have gotten in both, or get in both courses, then perform istikhara.
4. Continuing from 3, don't stop istikhara! Sure, your mom can do it but you should keep performing istikhara until you're sure and as regularly as possible for you.
5. Trust Allah :D He gives and takes wealth, so if you're going to lose the year's fee there's nothing you can do about it, He may naozubillah take it away some other way and if you're not going to lose it, you could win a lottery for all you know ;D Best wishes!

JazakAllah khair sooooo much! <333 One amazing piece of advice.

@Most UniQue™- Pharmacy seems better. Though, my choice is biased. ::)

@Shoshou..Mony- I agree with your parents.
My cousin is in the same position as you are.
She wanted to be a writer as well but decided later on to do it as a side hobby cos of her parents.
IA, whatever I choose later on. . .Medicine or Dentistry, I will also try doing some art courses to brush up on art skills. ::) :D :P
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 05:55:43 am by Romeesa Chan »
Download SF Magazine 2012 here.

Offline Chingoo

• Prima Donna u__u
  • SF Senior Citizen
  • RAWR
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2011, 02:54:11 pm »
Option no.3

I am very good at Math and all my math teachers since I was young said I having something special, thus my family and I thought about Engineering.

Until the beginning of this year I was convinced with the choice but then thinking about what suits my personality better and what I want to do in the future..English Literature would be better for me.

I love reading and writing a lot. I want to be a writer or a magazine editor plus I have future plans of making the world a better place since my writings affect people a lot and change them. I believe..I'm gifted from God and I should use this gift for humanity.

BUT my parents are saying I should do Engineering and then take the writing/reading thing as a hobby while being in Uni, but let's just face it..I won't have enough time to do such hobbies while studying. =/

Well, I'm with your parents on this. Artistic talents like writing, painting and designing are more often than not influenced by your own personal devotion and talent rather than a university. A few art diplomas will brush up your skills just as well and you could excel in the area: as far as juggling university with your hobbies is concerned, it really depends on how you cope with the pressure.

I'm in your shoes when it comes to writing--I write novels in summer holidays, do written roleplays online and stuff like that. I was also the editor for my school magazine for two years :) But my subjects were, and have always been, Sciences. I didn't even take English Literature in my A-Levels and instead took Urdu :D Not because I don't want to pursue writing, but I've always felt that your inner art has nothing to do with a classroom. I am able to study and write, and Insha Allah intend to not be just a writer or just a Geneticist--why not both?

Do you think J.K. Rowling had invested 6 years of her higher education in English Literature or something? Or Stephanie Meyers (I simply hate how she writes, but let's confess it she is a bestseller)? No. As far as journalism goes, it's not absolutely necessary that you have taken courses in journalism in your bachelors. Of course, you could check with any popular magazine/newspaper in your area to confirm that.

Regardless, I agree with your parents: there's no need to cap your options by taking a course in written communication. There's nothing wrong with it, but since you possibly don't want to do something against your parents' will, you shouldn't feel upset by it. Studying engineering cannot cap your opportunities to be a writer/journalist, but studying English Literature stops you from being an Engineer. <3 Best wishes!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 02:56:35 pm by Chingoo »
All that is on earth will perish:
But will abide (forever) the Face of thy Lord--full of Majesty, Bounty & Honor.
Then which of the favors of your Lord will ye deny?

Qura'n, Chapter 55: The Beneficent, Verses 26-28

Offline Malak

• Honorary Member
  • SF Farseer
  • A warm smile is the universal language of kindness
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2011, 03:56:00 pm »
@Chingoo: I can just tell you will make an amazing Writer :D
You got amazing writing skills :D
If you are a man who degrades women then allow me to respectfully remind you that you came from ONE

Reminder to myself: Stop worrying and start working

SF magazine 2012 - Download here

Offline Arthur Bon Zavi

• |Sun of Tomorrow... =]|
  • SF V.I.P
  • Fiducia in questo uomo ciecamente.
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2011, 04:24:13 pm »
It was a childhood dream of mine; obviously I was a child when I was in 9th.

Continuous efforts matter more than the outcome.
- NU

Offline Romeesa-Chan

• Chère
  • Global Moderator
  • SF Overlord
  • "Be the person you want to meet."
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2011, 05:37:21 am »
Finally decided on Dentistry by Allah's Guide and Grace, alhamdullah. :D
Download SF Magazine 2012 here.

Offline Malak

• Honorary Member
  • SF Farseer
  • A warm smile is the universal language of kindness
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2011, 01:19:11 pm »
Finally decided on Dentistry by Allah's Guide and Grace, alhamdullah. :D

Nice, Best of Luck to you :)
If you are a man who degrades women then allow me to respectfully remind you that you came from ONE

Reminder to myself: Stop worrying and start working

SF magazine 2012 - Download here

Offline Shoshou..Mony

• Retired Admin~!
  • Honorary Member
  • SF Overlord
  • I WILL make a change inshAllah. =]
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2011, 02:24:05 pm »
Well, I'm with your parents on this. Artistic talents like writing, painting and designing are more often than not influenced by your own personal devotion and talent rather than a university. A few art diplomas will brush up your skills just as well and you could excel in the area: as far as juggling university with your hobbies is concerned, it really depends on how you cope with the pressure.

I'm in your shoes when it comes to writing--I write novels in summer holidays, do written roleplays online and stuff like that. I was also the editor for my school magazine for two years :) But my subjects were, and have always been, Sciences. I didn't even take English Literature in my A-Levels and instead took Urdu :D Not because I don't want to pursue writing, but I've always felt that your inner art has nothing to do with a classroom. I am able to study and write, and Insha Allah intend to not be just a writer or just a Geneticist--why not both?

Do you think J.K. Rowling had invested 6 years of her higher education in English Literature or something? Or Stephanie Meyers (I simply hate how she writes, but let's confess it she is a bestseller)? No. As far as journalism goes, it's not absolutely necessary that you have taken courses in journalism in your bachelors. Of course, you could check with any popular magazine/newspaper in your area to confirm that.

Regardless, I agree with your parents: there's no need to cap your options by taking a course in written communication. There's nothing wrong with it, but since you possibly don't want to do something against your parents' will, you shouldn't feel upset by it. Studying engineering cannot cap your opportunities to be a writer/journalist, but studying English Literature stops you from being an Engineer. <3 Best wishes!

First of all..+rep for the long post full of advises. =]

Secondly, I do agree with the point 'Why not both?' as everyone else told me that including my parents and including myself, but that field is called 'Alsun' meaning tongues. It is not exactly English Literature..it is something more difficult than that. In there, you choose 3 languages to be able to speak and study about. I'd choose English, Arabic and French, Italian or Spanish. Now, that field is not as easy as most people think..it got A LOT more to be learned there. For instance..I'm an ESL student, I studied FLE but for 2 years only and when sitting for the exam I chose ESL and ended up getting an A* in ESL this means I still have a lot to learn. Another thing is that they learn how to translate the Quranic arabic into English which is a very difficult thing to do.

My Arabic is very poor and I want to later on pass on my religion to the western side and this means I need to FULLY understand it in Arabic first.

True, not all writers studied English..in fact it is more as a talent but what if I want it to be BOTH a talent and as future career? I don't assume that I'm a great writer..I do LOADS of mistakes and there is no limits to learning.

Finally,I'll do Istikhra inshAllah and I only say one thing to God..the choice which will make me go on the right path and make me closer to you..is the one you choose for me. I trust God and at times I get all worried about it BUT how does worry help? At the end what God wants would happen and I leave my life between His hands because He is the reason I'm on this world.

InshAllah the best will happen. I love both choices but just one more than the other! If I get any..I'll still be satisfied with God's choice for me. =]

Thank YOU chingo. I'm your fan. Don't forget that. =]
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 02:33:35 pm by Shoshou..Mony »

Sometimes, ALLAH breaks our heart to make us whole.
Sometimes, ALLAH allows pain so we can be stronger.
Sometimes, ALLAH sends us failure so we can be humble.
Sometimes, ALLAH takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything HE gave us.

When Allah leads you to the edge of difficulty... either ALLAH will catch you when you fall or ALLAH will teach you how to fly! =]

Please make them strong ya Allah...

Romeesa-chan...<3

Offline takluboy

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2012, 02:10:22 pm »
I am preety sure and ambitious on my childhood dreaming.And i know that i would definitely grab it.

Offline Most UniQue™

• Global Moderator
  • SF Farseer
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2013, 01:26:56 pm »
I'm going with the confused option.

I don't know whether go with business(BBA) or Pharmacy

2 years ago... Good Old times...

Offline The Golden Girl =D

• Without Allah I'm nothing <3
  • Honorary Member
  • SF Overlord
  • Ain't Nothin worth your tears =D
    • www.thegoldengirl157.blogspot.com
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2013, 03:19:25 am »
^ I used to want engineering LMAO XD
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest(13:28)

Please, Don't forget to Include GG in your Prayers =D