Author Topic: A Plea to all SF Members !!  (Read 26047 times)

***exam***

Re: A Plea to all SF Members !!
« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2011, 07:17:00 pm »

Two Lines are too much for you? ::)

In life we don't always get what we want. Do we? ;)

Thank you, & +rep. :)

hahahaha 10 minutes !! wow lol !! you seriously should sharpen up your texting skills !!

its not only about one post its just that when you text  and post and pm and chat  !! u rather use short words than take zillion minutes for these things by using full words !!!
haha nah we dont get whatever we want !! far fetched comparison uh !! ?

thanks

Every code and abbreviation that you can look up in the dictionary.

+rep from me too.

Thank you. :)

thanks again !!!
haha if i had known agreeing to write like this would fetch me +reps i would have agreed right in the start  :P :P

omg ! now this post took a lot of time !!  but eventually m sure i will find it easier   :D :P
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 07:20:58 pm by ***exam*** »

Offline Nobody

• Global Moderator
  • SF V.I.P
« Reply #46 on: June 07, 2011, 07:39:19 pm »
hahahaha 10 minutes !! wow lol !! you seriously should sharpen up your texting skills !!

its not only about one post its just that when you text  and post and pm and chat  !! u rather use short words than take zillion minutes for these things by using full words !!!
haha nah we dont get whatever we want !! far fetched comparison uh !! ?

thanks

thanks again !!!
haha if i had known agreeing to write like this would fetch me +reps i would have agreed right in the start  :P :P

omg ! now this post took a lot of time !!  but eventually m sure i will find it easier   :D :P

Nah. I'm happy with my limited texting skills.
The less the better here. ::)

Using short words can make it fast, but it ruins the effect of the post. ;)

This post might have taken more time but this one looks the best of all. :)
The most beautiful thing is to see a person smiling!
And even more beautiful is, knowing that you are the reason behind it.

**RoRo**

« Reply #47 on: June 07, 2011, 09:58:25 pm »
Text language and your own language, both do matter. And they matter a lot.

I'm not trying to be overbearing... but we are working hard to try to get a good impression from outsiders who do regularly view our forums.
There are way more guests than members who read whatever we post here, and having reached no.1 in google means that we are the most popular (=most viewed) educational forum around. We want to be much more than that, we are working to reach no.1 in all spheres.

Mark my words, ***exam***. When you will be older, you will yourself find how irksome it is to read the contracted form of English. More than that, it's a total disrespect to the English language that generations before us have been using. Yes, there has been modifications, additions, etc. But before any change is made to the bank of words of the language, it takes months and years of review and assessing, and the public opinion on this contracted form is surely going to inhibit its implementation (if ever anyone hopes of it).

"Despite the fact that I happen to be perfectly capable of reading any incoherent drivel you may send to my (e-mail) inbox directly from your phone keypad, 'wut up ya I cnt make it 2 clss lol' is insanely unprofessional," reads the syllabus of Alejo Enriquez, a Cal State East Bay instructor."

"It has a real effect on the tone of professionalism," said Murphy, who also has seen younger instructors use the shorthand. "We tell them very specifically how this is going to affect them in life. It's kind of like wearing their jeans below their butt. They're going to lose all credibility."

Text messaging, e-mail and computer spell-checks have long been blamed for declining standards of spelling and grammar. A publisher of a new dictionary warned last Friday of a "degree of crisis" in university students' written English.

Think about the other people who will be reading on our forums. They are going to judge us, not only on what we write, but also on how we write it.
An illegible handwriting repels, does it not? Likewise for a typing style.

Many people come here to study English, especially those who are not lucky enough to afford to have a teacher, or those who do not have a good teacher and are home-studying.
Poor creatures cannot even make use of a dictionary if we ourselves don't type in the words correctly. People come here because they have faith in us. 'Tis' is what we are going to teach them?

Maybe you'll think we're taking too much trouble harping on this while other forums do not consider such things. But this is for your own good. And as moderators, it is our job to think of the betterment of the forum-- of the members. No matter how intelligent you are, habit always takes over. You might be using 'zis typ of wrtng' in examinations conditions and you wouldn't even know about it. Unless, of course, it is too late.

We could very well have thought about enforcing this as a rule, but we chose to be diplomatic because knowing how cooperative members here have been, we expected a positive response this time too.

This does not apply to ***exam*** only, but to everyone else who has a doubt about our "plea". No offence meant.

Thank you,
~Alpha

Couldn't agree anymore with you and I just wish if this could be transfered to Facebook as well, I know of course you ain't in charge of it or anything, but if everyone would just consider proper typing and usage of the Language, that would just be great and it would be a lot easier to understand what people are saying!  
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 12:45:45 pm by ~Alpha »

***exam***

« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2011, 10:09:02 am »
Nah. I'm happy with my limited texting skills.
The less the better here. ::)

Using short words can make it fast, but it ruins the effect of the post. ;)

This post might have taken more time but this one looks the best of all. :)

haha well i am sure you can see many more of these post on sf now :P

Offline Angel Of Love

• SF Farseer
  • loev <3 :D
« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2011, 12:39:00 pm »
@exam yeah that's very true now everyone's following this new rule :D
the schools wish they too had their rules followed so quickly because it takes ages to follow any new rule of the schools :P

Offline Dasith

• SF Senior Citizen
« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2011, 02:05:19 pm »
Text language and your own language, both do matter. And they matter a lot.

I'm not trying to be overbearing... but we are working hard to try to get a good impression from outsiders who do regularly view our forums.
There are way more guests than members who read whatever we post here, and having reached no.1 in google means that we are the most popular (=most viewed) educational forum around. We want to be much more than that, we are working to reach no.1 in all spheres.

Mark my words, ***exam***. When you will be older, you will yourself find how irksome it is to read the contracted form of English. More than that, it's a total disrespect to the English language that generations before us have been using. Yes, there has been modifications, additions, etc. But before any change is made to the bank of words of the language, it takes months and years of review and assessing, and the public opinion on this contracted form is surely going to inhibit its implementation (if ever anyone hopes of it).

"Despite the fact that I happen to be perfectly capable of reading any incoherent drivel you may send to my (e-mail) inbox directly from your phone keypad, 'wut up ya I cnt make it 2 clss lol' is insanely unprofessional," reads the syllabus of Alejo Enriquez, a Cal State East Bay instructor."

"It has a real effect on the tone of professionalism," said Murphy, who also has seen younger instructors use the shorthand. "We tell them very specifically how this is going to affect them in life. It's kind of like wearing their jeans below their butt. They're going to lose all credibility."

Text messaging, e-mail and computer spell-checks have long been blamed for declining standards of spelling and grammar. A publisher of a new dictionary warned last Friday of a "degree of crisis" in university students' written English.

Think about the other people who will be reading on our forums. They are going to judge us, not only on what we write, but also on how we write it.
An illegible handwriting repels, does it not? Likewise for a typing style.

Many people come here to study English, especially those who are not lucky enough to afford to have a teacher, or those who do not have a good teacher and are home-studying.
Poor creatures cannot even make use of a dictionary if we ourselves don't type in the words correctly. People come here because they have faith in us. 'Tis' is what we are going to teach them?

Maybe you'll think we're taking too much trouble harping on this while other forums do not considerate such things. But this is for your own good. And as moderators, it is our job to think of the betterment of the forum-- of the members. No matter how intelligent you are, habit always takes over. You might be using 'zis typ of wrtng' in examinations conditions and you wouldn't even know about it. Unless, of course, it is too late.

We could very well have thought about enforcing this as a rule, but we chose to be diplomatic because knowing how cooperative members here have been, we expected a positive response this time too.

This does not apply to ***exam*** only, but to everyone else who has a doubt about our "plea". No offence meant.

Thank you,
~Alpha

i'm sure almost all the ppl here understand the abbriviations used ! , i mean & if a person cant understand they'll tell the other person 2 explain it rite ? . so wats the big deal in writing using abbriviations when we are in a really fast moving world. & almost any person can read up any thing they dont understand in dictonaries , i mean in google :D  even the informal ones they are explained & on the process of being added to dictonaries !!
I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code. ;)

elemis

« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2011, 03:34:51 pm »
i'm sure almost all the ppl here understand the abbriviations used ! , i mean & if a person cant understand they'll tell the other person 2 explain it rite ? . so wats the big deal in writing using abbriviations when we are in a really fast moving world. & almost any person can read up any thing they dont understand in dictonaries , i mean in google :D  even the informal ones they are explained & on the process of being added to dictonaries !!

Its not a matter of whether or not people understand what you write.

Bad habits stick and can be hard to get rid off.

My mother can type faster than you using complete words. So your argument regarding the fact that abbreviations increase the speed of typing is false.

Offline Dasith

• SF Senior Citizen
« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2011, 03:58:49 pm »

My mother can type faster than you using complete words. So your argument regarding the fact that abbreviations increase the speed of typing is false.

lol , wat a nice way to compare speeds :P ,

u compare u r mothers typing speed with my typing with abbreviations , hehe obviously it may be if shes trained to do it,

but i dont think thats the way u compare

why not compare her own speed of wring with abbreviations
& with out & see the difference for u r self !!! :P

Offline Dasith

• SF Senior Citizen
« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2011, 04:01:17 pm »

& hw can using abbreviations be a bad habbit ? :O , i dont think so  !!

Alpha

« Reply #54 on: June 10, 2011, 07:03:47 pm »
i'm sure almost all the ppl here understand the abbriviations used ! , i mean & if a person cant understand they'll tell the other person 2 explain it rite ? . so wats the big deal in writing using abbriviations when we are in a really fast moving world. & almost any person can read up any thing they dont understand in dictonaries , i mean in google :D  even the informal ones they are explained & on the process of being added to dictonaries !!

lol , wat a nice way to compare speeds :P ,

u compare u r mothers typing speed with my typing with abbreviations , hehe obviously it may be if shes trained to do it,

but i dont think thats the way u compare

why not compare her own speed of wring with abbreviations
& with out & see the difference for u r self !!! :P

Explain "u"?

It takes me approx. 2 minutes to post and find this:

adj.
Chiefly British Of or appropriate to the upper class, especially in language usage.
n.
Used as a courtesy title before the name of a man in a Burmese-speaking area.
1. The symbol for the element uranium.
2. The symbol for internal energy.
1. unsatisfactory
2. uracil
n. pl. u's or U's also us or Us
5. U A grade that indicates an unsatisfactory status.

You will have to take the time to post again and explain to me this one 'word' in one post-- in this fast moving world.

I sympathize with the logic that is compelling you to save time in typing because it didn't let you take any to think before you type. :]

& hw can using abbreviations be a bad habbit ? :O , i dont think so  !!

Abbreviations are allowed (e.g. abbr.). But text-typing makes people appear stupid.

After explaining so much, only this is left to be said, because you know, my time is limited too:
Thank you, for thinking about others. :]

Not trying to be bad... but I don't understand why it takes so much hesitation to try to do something that will result into a 'better good' for everyone.

@ The Secret, you may use it to create a page on FaceBook if you wish, I'm temporarily deactivated there. Thanks.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 06:17:53 am by ~Alpha »

***exam***

« Reply #55 on: June 11, 2011, 05:32:23 am »
@exam yeah that's very true now everyone's following this new rule :D
the schools wish they too had their rules followed so quickly because it takes ages to follow any new rule of the schools :P

hahaha so true !!! but you know every school isnt like sf !!! :D :D :D

well as far i se there is nothing wrong in using texting language !! but here on sf as ALPHA said !! there are many guest who come for reference and studying and dont know the texting language !! they wondnt go finding all the meaning on google ! and this would also make them leave sf and look for other sites !! but as we as sfians are trying to make it the best ever site ! why not use full words and leave good impressions on all who visit sf !!! :D :D

We can do anything to make sf the best !! cant we !!

Offline Dasith

• SF Senior Citizen
« Reply #56 on: June 12, 2011, 05:27:04 am »
Explain "u"?

It takes me approx. 2 minutes to post and find this:

adj.
Chiefly British Of or appropriate to the upper class, especially in language usage.
n.
Used as a courtesy title before the name of a man in a Burmese-speaking area.
1. The symbol for the element uranium.
2. The symbol for internal energy.
1. unsatisfactory
2. uracil
n. pl. u's or U's also us or Us
5. U A grade that indicates an unsatisfactory status.

You will have to take the time to post again and explain to me this one 'word' in one post-- in this fast moving world.

I sympathize with the logic that is compelling you to save time in typing because it didn't let you take any to think before you type. :]

Abbreviations are allowed (e.g. abbr.). But text-typing makes people appear stupid.

After explaining so much, only this is left to be said, because you know, my time is limited too:
Thank you, for thinking about others. :]

Not trying to be bad... but I don't understand why it takes so much hesitation to try to do something that will result into a 'better good' for everyone.

@ The Secret, you may use it to create a page on FaceBook if you wish, I'm temporarily deactivated there. Thanks.

yea alpha u may b rite if a person refers every single word , up in google :
but the truth is that thers about less than 1% chance a person might look up so many words & almost every person can understand a sentence with the other words ( thats wat i do when i find difficult words when i read a book ) missing a word or two dosent change the meaning so badly as u say !! .
& wat if someone takes a miniute or two to refer it up , it would save much time with the other similar posts he reads . & wat makes u so sure english is not gonna end up in texting language in another 5 years :P
& probably the next generation would learn that as the language (the simpler a language gets the better it is )

Offline Dasith

• SF Senior Citizen
« Reply #57 on: June 12, 2011, 05:33:58 am »

hahaha so true !!! but you know every school isnt like sf !!! :D :D :D
well as far i se there is nothing wrong in using texting language !! but here on sf as ALPHA said !! there are many guest who come for reference and studying and dont know the texting language !! they wondnt go finding all the meaning on google ! and this would also make them leave sf and look for other sites !! but as we as sfians are trying to make it the best ever site ! why not use full words and leave good impressions on all who visit sf !!! :D :D

We can do anything to make sf the best !! cant we !!

i knw these people are trying to make it better , but u knw adding more rules day by day just wouldent make it better !

Offline Nobody

• Global Moderator
  • SF V.I.P
« Reply #58 on: June 14, 2011, 05:30:19 am »
other words ( thats wat i do when i find difficult words when i read a book ) missing a word or two dosent change the meaning so badly as u say !! .

It does!
I found this thing somewhere just thought of sharing. Here.
It's a message that a husband wrote to her wife, and forgot to put an "e" at the end of the sentence.
Read it with and without the last "e".
I'm enjoying it in Hawaii, wish you were her(e).

Poor wife! :P

i knw these people are trying to make it better , but u knw adding more rules day by day just wouldent make it better !

It's not a rule. It's a plea. It's up to you to follow it. We'd appreciate it though.  ;)
The most beautiful thing is to see a person smiling!
And even more beautiful is, knowing that you are the reason behind it.

Offline EMO123

• I Don't Know What To Do
  • SF V.I.P
  • Ficticious Boy
« Reply #59 on: June 14, 2011, 02:24:27 pm »
It's not a rule. It's a plea. It's up to you to follow it. We'd appreciate it though.  ;)

well caught Ag