Teachers and Students > Debates

Should divorce be legal?

(1/26) > >>

Alpha:
If people are misusing it, should it be a lawful right?

elemis:
Give me an example of how it is misused. Just so that I know what were talking about.

Alpha:

--- Quote from: Ari Ben Canaan on November 19, 2010, 06:55:13 am ---Give me an example of how it is misused. Just so that I know what were talking about.

--- End quote ---

Some people, in backward societies, who are still stuck to old traditions, marry and divorce as often as it rains in the Amazon.  ::)
It's like, a one-night business. The wives are given money, in exchange of a divorce. Prostitution in disguise.

elemis:

--- Quote from: ~Alpha on November 19, 2010, 06:58:53 am ---Some people, in backward societies, who are still stuck to old traditions, marry and divorce as often as it rains in the Amazon.  ::)
It's like, a one-night business. The wives are given money, in exchange of a divorce. Prostitution in disguise.

--- End quote ---

Still, those people represent a minority. In addition if we look at the larger picture most divorces are undertaken for VERY good reasons.

By eliminating this right, so-to-speak, you could cause many innocent people grievous harm.

For example, if your hypothetical husband were to abuse you and your children you would obviously desire a divorce.

If the right to divorce were to be waived then you would continue to face such abuse.....

Thus, no, I believe the right to divorce is a fundamental idea that every man and woman should have. If they misuse they will be caught in the end.

Alpha:

--- Quote from: Ari Ben Canaan on November 19, 2010, 07:10:12 am ---Still, those people represent a minority. In addition if we look at the larger picture most divorces are undertaken for VERY good reasons.

By eliminating this right, so-to-speak, you could cause many innocent people grievous harm.

For example, if your hypothetical husband were to abuse you and your children you would obviously desire a divorce.

If the right to divorce were to be waived then you would continue to face such abuse.....

Thus, no, I believe the right to divorce is a fundamental idea that every man and woman should have. If they misuse they will be caught in the end.

--- End quote ---

But if people are going to be deprived of the right to divorce, would they not then be more careful about their selection of partners?

Don't you think now people are being hasty with the marriage issue?
After all, it is a commitment.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version