Author Topic: ALL CIE PHYSICS DOUBTS HERE !!!  (Read 151725 times)

Offline aneeta

Re: ALL CIE PHYSICS DOUBTS HERE !!!
« Reply #675 on: May 21, 2011, 08:58:04 am »
it is written ari oct-nov
so winter afcos  :D
will get to it soon
Exactly what he said:p OCTOBER/NOVEMBER 2007 QUESTION 4C

Offline EMO123

• I Don't Know What To Do
  • SF V.I.P
  • Ficticious Boy
« Reply #676 on: May 21, 2011, 09:07:38 am »
here is the answer with method
stress = force / area
make area subject of the formula
so that will be area=force/stress
area(mini) = (1.9*103) / (9.5*108)
= 2.0*10–6 m2
as it is stretched so the max-mini
area (max)= (3.2 – 2.0)*10–6
= 1.2*10–6 m2
so mini area=2.0*10-6m2
and max area=1.2*10-6m2

Offline yasser37

• SF Citizen
« Reply #677 on: May 21, 2011, 09:48:18 am »
Hi guys
Paper 5
June 07
Question 2
The error bars are horizontal yet too small to be drawn
can someone attach a drawing? Thanks

Offline aneeta

« Reply #678 on: May 21, 2011, 10:41:22 am »
June 08 paper 2 question 6(b)

Offline NidZ- Hero

• People say i m borderline crazy Sorta kinda :D
  • SF Senior Citizen
  • IDK what makes u such a LOSER.But it really works
« Reply #679 on: May 21, 2011, 01:46:47 pm »
can someone explain the difference between stationary waves and progressive waves

Offline EMO123

• SF V.I.P
  • Ficticious Boy
« Reply #680 on: May 21, 2011, 02:13:40 pm »
June 08 paper 2 question 6(b)
6 (b) 1st is open so power supply so that is zero
        2nd from the first the power is supplied so it will move to s2 but s3 is closed so it will not move from s3
              so only of s2 which is 1.5kW so for second it is 1.5kW
        3rd the power is supplied from s2 and s3 so both are added 1.5kW+1.5kW=3kW
        4th - Current flows through A and B (not the part of the junction with S2 as it has infinite resistance)
                R = 38.4ohms, V one heater receives is 120V , P =  V2/R = 1202/38.4 = 375W
                Thus, for two heaters = 375*2 = 750W or 0.75kW
        5th - Current flows through all heaters. Power in A and B as calculated previously = 0.75kW
                Power in C = V2/R = 2402/38.4 = 1.5kW Total - 1.5 + 0.75 = 2.25kW

Offline EMO123

• SF V.I.P
  • Ficticious Boy
« Reply #681 on: May 21, 2011, 02:19:00 pm »
can someone explain the difference between stationary waves and progressive waves
The notes we hear from a cello are created by the vibrations of strings. The wave patterns on the vibrating strings are called stationary waves.

The waves in the air which carry the sound to our ears transfer energy, and so are called progressive waves.

Hope it helps.

Offline NidZ- Hero

• People say i m borderline crazy Sorta kinda :D
  • SF Senior Citizen
  • IDK what makes u such a LOSER.But it really works
« Reply #682 on: May 21, 2011, 02:36:21 pm »
The notes we hear from a cello are created by the vibrations of strings. The wave patterns on the vibrating strings are called stationary waves.

The waves in the air which carry the sound to our ears transfer energy, and so are called progressive waves.

Hope it helps.

:)

But in my book there is this part which i dont understand the amplitude of the vibration varies with position along the string: its zero at the nodes and maximum at an antinode .in progressive waves all the points have the same amplitude

Offline Ghost Of Highbury

• O_o_O lala!
  • SF Farseer
  • Namaskaram!
« Reply #683 on: May 21, 2011, 04:11:20 pm »
:)

But in my book there is this part which i dont understand the amplitude of the vibration varies with position along the string: its zero at the nodes and maximum at an antinode .in progressive waves all the points have the same amplitude

Yes, u see, the stationary waves are made out of 2 waves traveling in opposite directions. The phase difference is 180o, and because of the superposition of the 2 waves, the resultant displacement at the nodes is 0 and is maximum at the antinodes.
divine intervention!

Offline aneeta

« Reply #684 on: May 21, 2011, 07:17:05 pm »
A hard ball and a soft ball, with equal masses and volumes are thrown at a glass window. The balls hit the window at the same speed. Suggest why the hard ball is more is more likely than the soft ball to break the window.

Offline Ghost Of Highbury

• O_o_O lala!
  • SF Farseer
  • Namaskaram!
« Reply #685 on: May 21, 2011, 07:21:03 pm »
A hard ball and a soft ball, with equal masses and volumes are thrown at a glass window. The balls hit the window at the same speed. Suggest why the hard ball is more is more likely than the soft ball to break the window.

Newton's second law of motion. Force is the rate of change of momentum. F = Change in momentum / t

The ball which exerts more force on the window is, obviously, more likely to break the window.

The change in momentum is the same as the mass and velocity is the same for both the balls.

ALthough, the time the balls are in contact with the window is greater in the soft one than the hard one (deformation)

An increase in time, means decrease in Force. Hence, hard ball is more likely to break the window.

PS : Does anybody know how to put the 'delta' sign here? (Yes, the triangle symbol, Ari? )
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 07:23:25 pm by Ghost Of Highbury~ »
divine intervention!

Offline TJ-56

• SF Citizen
« Reply #686 on: May 21, 2011, 07:21:37 pm »

Force = rate of change of momentum = mv\t
So the masses and the velocities are equal. So the different variable here is the time t.
Soft ball: the ball gets compressed more and hence is more in contact with the window than the hard ball. Thus, momentum is much less and so it doesn't break the window. The hard ball has negligable compression and hence has a high momentum, breaking the window.

Offline TJ-56

• SF Citizen
« Reply #687 on: May 21, 2011, 07:43:44 pm »
Can someone explain October/November 2010 Paper 54 question 2 (e)? The mark scheme is useless on this one.
Thanx in advance.

Offline aneeta

« Reply #688 on: May 21, 2011, 07:58:52 pm »
May/June 2005 paper 2 question 6b(iii)
I don't get why it's sin and not cos, or is it cos I didn't do part (i) correctly? :s

Offline Arthur Bon Zavi

• |Sun of Tomorrow... =]|
  • SF V.I.P
  • Fiducia in questo uomo ciecamente.
« Reply #689 on: May 21, 2011, 11:12:24 pm »
Newton's second law of motion. Force is the rate of change of momentum. F = Change in momentum / t

The ball which exerts more force on the window is, obviously, more likely to break the window.

The change in momentum is the same as the mass and velocity is the same for both the balls.

ALthough, the time the balls are in contact with the window is greater in the soft one than the hard one (deformation)

An increase in time, means decrease in Force. Hence, hard ball is more likely to break the window.

PS : Does anybody know how to put the 'delta' sign here? (Yes, the triangle symbol, Ari? )

See the code.

{\Delta p}

Continuous efforts matter more than the outcome.
- NU