Author Topic: CIE A level Physics question  (Read 2815 times)

Offline mac

• SF Immigrant
CIE A level Physics question
« on: February 24, 2009, 12:53:21 pm »
Hi,

Please help with this:

what would be the advantages and disadvantages of resistance and thermocouple thermometers.

Also,
"define and use the concept of specific heat
capacity/latent heat, and identify the main principles of its determination by electrical methods"

Here what are the electrical methods for both the concepts?

thanks

Offline astarmathsandphysics

• SF Overlord
  • Free the exam papers!
Re: CIE A level Physics question
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 01:08:57 pm »
Hi,

Please help with this:
what would be the advantages and disadvantages of resistance and thermocouple thermometers.
Also,
"define and use the concept of specific heat
capacity/latent heat, and identify the main principles of its determination by electrical methods"
Here what are the electrical methods for both the concepts?
thanks

Resistance thermometers need an electric cirduit. You need to measure the voltage and current to find the resistance. For thermocouples tyou need only measure the voltage across a junction.

Specific heat=energy needed to raise the temperature of 1kg of a material by 1K
specific latent heat= amount of heat needed to change 1kg of a substance from state to state at constant temperature.

For specific heat use IVTime=mcTemp and for latent heat use IVTime=ml

where I=current, V=voltage, m=mass, c=specific heat capacity and l=specific latent heat.
Both equations are used for the same circuit which you can find in any AS Level textbook.

Offline iq101

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 09:56:04 am »
Hello.

First of all, astarmathsandphysics , your doing something really great by helping students with their problems!

I dont understand the basic functioning of a potentiometer [ at AS level ] and neither can I solve questions related , even though Ive tried all examples! I cant find any textbook which explains it clearly..

Please help !

Offline astarmathsandphysics

• SF Overlord
  • Free the exam papers!
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 10:03:39 am »
If it is anything to do with exam papers or free text books, everyone here is innocent. As for a potentiometer, you are diviiding a voltage in the ratio of 2 resistance, that is all. use the equation V_1=R_1V/(R_1+R_2)