Author Topic: Racism in South East Asia  (Read 8234 times)

Offline sabbath_92

• SF Citizen
    • Formspring
Racism in South East Asia
« on: September 19, 2010, 07:29:16 am »
Well to be honest, it's probably not as profound, since there aren't that many 'races' as the Indian subcontinent is not as diverse as the more developed countries. What I'm talking about is more akin to the term 'colourism', or the caste system or just any kind of discrimination based on things one wouldn't have control of. Say how the caste system in India still prevails, or how the Hazara ethnic group in Afghanistan are discriminated against because they are deemed 'inferior'. Has there been progress made in order to counteract these backward notions, or does it seem like we are bound to live with this ignorance for a long time to come? What are your thoughts on these? Do you ever find yourself discriminating someone on things like this?

I was watching the kite runner a moment ago, and this came to my mind :p, and I don't know if this is the appropriate board, but yah serious issue we are talking about here.

Offline astarmathsandphysics

• SF Overlord
  • Free the exam papers!
Re: Racism in South East Asia
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 02:01:21 pm »
Rascism is only a little bit different from the glue that keeps society functioning.

Offline sabbath_92

• SF Citizen
    • Formspring
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 05:19:24 pm »
Rascism is only a little bit different from the glue that keeps society functioning.

How so? Surely a society would function better and be more productive without the pointless hate-mongering and discrimination?

Offline I'm a mistake - legalize abortion!

• SF Farseer
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2010, 05:28:14 pm »
How so? Surely a society would function better and be more productive without the pointless hate-mongering and discrimination?

The roots are quite deep. You think people can live without prejudices?
If you don't like my driving, then stay off the sidewalk

Offline sabbath_92

• SF Citizen
    • Formspring
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 05:39:33 pm »
The roots are quite deep. You think people can live without prejudices?

Yes. I come from a open minded family and am yet to meet a full on racist. And this is not the point. This is the 21st century and it's time these prehistoric narrow minded notions are put to rest.

• SF Farseer
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 05:43:00 pm »
Yes. I come from a open minded family and am yet to meet a full on racist. And this is not the point. This is the 21st century and it's time these prehistoric narrow minded notions are put to rest.

Races and societies thrive because of this. Survival goes to the fittest and groupism is the best way to ensure that.

Offline sabbath_92

• SF Citizen
    • Formspring
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 05:48:39 pm »
Races and societies thrive because of this. Survival goes to the fittest and groupism is the best way to ensure that.

Thanks for the neo nazi input.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 06:09:44 am by sabbath_92 »

Alpha

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 02:24:04 am »
Isn't sexism racism against women?

nid404

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 06:37:01 am »
I think we're all stupid  :-\

Offline Chingoo

• Prima Donna u__u
  • SF Senior Citizen
  • RAWR
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2010, 11:40:00 am »
I think we're all stupid  :-\

REJECTED - comment not racist enough.  8)

I wouldn't say that racism is a positive emotion or that it should, in any way, be encouraged in the modern society but like many sad truths about our world this is one of those: we are born with superiority and inferiority complexes. Some of these beliefs are the fundamentals of a human brain--a Psychology major would understand--some are ingrained in us by our family, friends and general environment. But the most important factor, in all of this, is really about who we want to be and how we approach life. Racism is actually a reflection of what we see in ourselves when we look in the mirror, in my opinion.

Because of the slow progress in terms of developing our mindsets and beliefs in the South-Asian world, the reasons for which are very evident and need not be rambled upon, our environment has never helped to reduce racist attitudes. For instance, there is a trend of marrying within your castes in the Muslims and Hindus, which has dwindled over time but not sufficiently. Even if you ask a very educated and independent family why they are so stringent about this, they would maybe argue that the customs of other castes are impossible to cope with, the society would never accept such an act and blah blah blah. Translation of their reasoning: I'm okay with studying for fifteen hours on a Science exam, but never have I pursued to change this very important part of my life.

Racism exists fiercely in other forms throughout the world, from Africans slaughterings non-Africans simply 'because' and people from different parts of China refusing to patch up. It's even worse in the Western world, and though government stability contributes to providing equal rights to all races and creeds, it's not always successful. Ever wondered why? Because racism isn't just a political and nationwide issue; it's a personal game. To accept all races are equal, and that the Chinese really are very healthy (hard for people with superiority complexes) and that they eat living snakes (hard for people with inferiority complexes). Sadly, these attempts to differentiate yourself, your race and your background are just indicators of a low self-esteem, a desperate mechanism to gain attention and find some meaning to one's life.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 11:41:54 am by Chingoo »
All that is on earth will perish:
But will abide (forever) the Face of thy Lord--full of Majesty, Bounty & Honor.
Then which of the favors of your Lord will ye deny?

Qura'n, Chapter 55: The Beneficent, Verses 26-28

nid404

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2010, 04:16:15 pm »
It wasn't meant to be :P

We're all stupid...so I ain't being racist at all.  ;D

Offline Chingoo

• Prima Donna u__u
  • SF Senior Citizen
  • RAWR
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2010, 05:20:10 pm »
It wasn't meant to be :P

We're all stupid...so I ain't being racist at all.  ;D

See the irony. ::)
All that is on earth will perish:
But will abide (forever) the Face of thy Lord--full of Majesty, Bounty & Honor.
Then which of the favors of your Lord will ye deny?

Qura'n, Chapter 55: The Beneficent, Verses 26-28

• SF Farseer
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2010, 06:07:16 pm »
Thanks for the neo nazi input.

I was referring to the biological and psychological factor behind racism.

Just because fascists and nazis use the idea in wrong way doesn't make Darwinism invalid.Everyone is subject to the laws of Darwinism whether or not they believe in them, agree with them, or accept them. There is no trial, no jury, no argument, and no appeal.

You can try and argue but this is the way people behave. The selfish gene.

Does it mean I am a racist? Hell no. It just means you don't accept the truth. If you refuse to believe, then it's your problem with reality, not mine.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 06:09:12 pm by I'm a mistake - legalize abortion! »

elemis

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2010, 06:11:28 pm »

Then you have yet to see the world in all its ugliness.

Offline astarmathsandphysics

• SF Overlord
  • Free the exam papers!
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2010, 10:13:13 am »
Strange that many Russians are neo nazis. I couldnt persuade one yesterday that black people had a right to life.