Author Topic: IGCSE Sociology DOUBTS Here !!  (Read 5998 times)

Offline Asad

Re: ALL Sociology DOUBTS Here !!
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2011, 12:46:45 am »
So I will be giving this subject in this upcoming session? Do you guys think I can cover it's syllabus in 2 months without any teacher?

Offline Romeesa-Chan

• Chère
  • Global Moderator
  • SF Overlord
  • "Be the person you want to meet."
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2011, 02:01:11 am »
So I will be giving this subject in this upcoming session? Do you guys think I can cover it's syllabus in 2 months without any teacher?

Possible if you work REALLY HARD. My best friend did it in 2 months and she passed with a decent grade. (:
Download SF Magazine 2012 here.

Offline Most UniQue™

• Global Moderator
  • SF Farseer
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2011, 10:19:20 am »

It is possible, like romeesa said ,my classmate also completed in 2months and got an A.

Offline The Golden Girl =D

• Without Allah I'm nothing <3
  • Honorary Member
  • SF Overlord
  • Ain't Nothin worth your tears =D
    • www.thegoldengirl157.blogspot.com
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2011, 12:40:26 pm »

I took Sociology.

It is possible if you make time for it in other words the least is 4-6 hours a day or something.

You have to work REALLY HARD just like Romeesa stated.

if you have any doubts don't hesitate to ask ;)

I hope this helps :

I'll tell you everything tomorrow inshAllah because I need to go now ,alright ? ;)

EDIT : I'm answering your questions :)

How to study for Sociology ?

here's an intro abt Sociology ;)

mmm I took Sociology ..... u need to know the followin abt it ;

1. It's not ALL abt memorizing *first u gotta Understand the syllabus then Memorize the defenitions and impo points  ;) *

2. You need to solve the past papers from June 2004-June 2010 and let a teacher supervise ur work ... cuz it's no use if u do it alone !!

3. the Amazing fact abt sociology is that u get to pick which Qs to answer , rather than having to answerr the whole Question Paper..... BUT in preparation for the Exam to be on the safe side you should study ALL the topics not only the ones you're interested in. *I hated Politics but I  read that chapter before the exam eventually   :-\  :P *

6.It's kinda like an ESSAY kinda subject ;)

Gd Luck ;)

There is no such thing as you have to "research" but since you're studying on your own you might want to get to know a topic a bit more so that you understand it then in that case you can search whatever you want to learn but "Research" is not included ;) .. But for me to confirm this you have to give me the CODE for the Subject i.e. Sociology you're going to take in november session.

P.S. just give me the CODE and then I'll explain to you what I was trying to say ;)

How long does it take to cover the syllabus ?

Well I took Sociology with my school you see so it took me about 6 months to prepare for it and Here is my teacher's technique ;) ;

1. She taught ALL the 8 Topics and taught us ALL we need to know about them.

2. She started solving with us past papers example for two weeks she solves "Crime and Deviance" and we finish papers up to 2-4 years.

3. When she finished ALL the Topics and showing us how to approach the questions and how to write a Debate , she made us solve the "OLD" past papers i.e. June 2004 up to June 2007 and then we asked her about our doubts and that's it.

4. She gave us mocks and Quizzes every time we finished two topics ;)

5. At the end she gave us some "OLD" notes and she said they might be included in the Syllabus and hence at least just read it or take a look at it.

What do i start with?

Buy a book , actually buy TWO books and they are :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sociology-GCSE-Pauline-Wilson/dp/0003224449

and http://www.amazon.ca/Sociology-Gcse-Aqa-Pauline-Wilson/dp/0007310706

these are the books I used and they are very good. Aren't there any IGCSE Sociology books? Well to be honest not that I've heard of  :-\ . I used these two books and my teacher ALWAYS referred to the Syllabus at the end to make sure we knew everything we were supposed to know.

Nope you start by reading the Book first and from "Your Understanding " you make your OWN notes and this step is very Vital because it will help you a lot especially when you solve past papers and when you want to revise ,you'll just have to refer to "your notes" ;)

https://studentforums.biz/profile/Roxy/ => Spider-man ;) she took "Sociology" but I'm not quite sure about it.

What did you get last year ? How many hours did u study?

I ended up with an A Alhamdulilah :)

We only had 2 periods of "Sociology" a week Plus the time I spend in the weekend studying and reading so I think approximately it was about 5-7  hours a week but that was the case at the beginning of the year ,but by the end of the year that is starting from Jan/Feb we started having more lessons and I had to come to school on Weekends etc.

I hope I cleared your doubts :) If you have any doubts or any more questions don't hesitate to ask me ;)

NOTE: If you need my help in answering your past paper doubts ,I have to say it would take me some time to answer you since my resources/stuff are not with me at the moment.

Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest(13:28)

Please, Don't forget to Include GG in your Prayers =D

Offline -Cornea

• Klamata
  • SF Immigrant
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2012, 09:48:20 pm »
Hey everyone from where can i get the examiner reports of sociology exams and other subjects ?
Laughter is the shock absorber that eases the blow of life ! =)

Offline Romeesa-Chan

• Chère
  • Global Moderator
  • SF Overlord
  • "Be the person you want to meet."
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2012, 10:02:50 pm »
Hey everyone from where can i get the examiner reports of sociology exams and other subjects ?

www.xtremepapers.net

ER = Examiner Report
Download SF Magazine 2012 here.

Offline -Cornea

• Klamata
  • SF Immigrant
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2012, 04:38:21 pm »

Offline -Cornea

• Klamata
  • SF Immigrant
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2012, 11:04:59 am »
Discuss the strengths and limitations of the pluralist theory of power.Can anyone answer this question it's not even mentioned in the book "pluarist theory" :/ and the question worth 8 marks :D

Offline The Golden Girl =D

• Without Allah I'm nothing <3
  • Honorary Member
  • SF Overlord
  • Ain't Nothin worth your tears =D
    • www.thegoldengirl157.blogspot.com
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2012, 04:43:53 pm »
^ been quite a while since the last time I studied Sociology ,and I unforuntately don't have the Notes nor the past papers for some reason. But I would suggest looking it up in the marking scheme for that paper,in case you don't know to which past paper it belongs then simply Google it :)

pluralist theory+limitations+Sociology IG     <= something of that sort ;)

I hope I helped (:
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest(13:28)

Please, Don't forget to Include GG in your Prayers =D

Offline -Cornea

• Klamata
  • SF Immigrant
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2012, 04:17:37 pm »
I tried goog-ling it out i didn't find anything which is useful :/