Author Topic: IGCSE Sociology DOUBTS Here !!  (Read 5995 times)

Offline The Golden Girl =D

• Without Allah I'm nothing <3
  • Honorary Member
  • SF Overlord
  • Ain't Nothin worth your tears =D
    • www.thegoldengirl157.blogspot.com
IGCSE Sociology DOUBTS Here !!
« on: September 05, 2010, 09:33:04 pm »
Post ALL your doubts here :)

Don't forget to mention the following ;

1. The Year and session.
2. The Question number/part you have doubt in.

It would be better if you uploaded the paper by attaching it.

Thank you =)

« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 05:48:35 pm by The Golden Girl »
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest(13:28)

Please, Don't forget to Include GG in your Prayers =D

Offline dua.hafeez@hotmail.com

Re: ALL Sociology DOUBTS Here !!
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 12:26:29 pm »
For gce o level sociology how do we answer the 6 and 8 marks questions?

• Honorary Member
  • SF Overlord
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 12:40:41 pm »
well i did the IGCSE sociology  which  is the same i guess

the 6 mark Q - I'm sorry i don't remember

as for the 8 mark Q - u have to write two paragraphs the first has to do with siding with the what is written in the Q while the second paragraph has to be against what is written in the Q
and finally u write a lil conclusion which is for Example : Discrimination still remains between genders .

the 8 mark is a debate Q so u have to debate ;)

I hope i helped :)

Offline Echoes

• live every moment =)
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 10:04:44 pm »
hey everyone i'm new here :D i have a quetion in may/june 2010 paper 1 Q1 part (b) its says "Explain why data collected using surveys 'can be easily coded and analysed'?".......i dunno da answer of this question and da mark scheme doesn't help, so please if anyone know the answer would they please kindly post it and thnk u.
 oh one more does anyone hav anyone good notes of IGCSE siocology cuz my book is GCSE and there r missin thingz too, and Thanks  ;D
the only man who never does a mistake is the man who never does anything :p

• Honorary Member
  • SF Overlord
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 08:12:29 am »
hey everyone i'm new here :D i have a quetion in may/june 2010 paper 1 Q1 part (b) its says "Explain why data collected using surveys 'can be easily coded and analysed'?".......i dunno da answer of this question and da mark scheme doesn't help, so please if anyone know the answer would they please kindly post it and thnk u.
 oh one more does anyone hav anyone good notes of IGCSE siocology cuz my book is GCSE and there r missin thingz too, and Thanks  ;D

Firstly, Please avoid double posting.

Secondly I also used a GCSE book actually two but my teacher used to give the extra points that are included in our syllabus ,in case you didn't have a teacher then I suggest you check the Syllabus yourself and if there is something not included in the book or perhaps you don't understand then check these sites:

https://studentforums.biz/references-and-resources/revision-notes-here/

https://studentforums.biz/social-studies-157/anyone-who-takes-sciology-and-has-very-good-notes-plz-post-it/

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&hl=en&q=Sociology+Notes&aq=f&aqi=g4g-o1&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&pbx=1&fp=ab5cdb1806fef4aa

http://www.varsitynotes.com/sociology/intro_sociology.html

https://studentforums.biz/queries-78/what-is-igcse-sociology-about-is-it-hard/

https://studentforums.biz/queries/sociology-1843/

https://studentforums.biz/search2/

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&hl=en&source=hp&q=Sociology+IGCSE+notes&aq=f&aqi=g1&aql=&oq=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=4c2d16994a378892

God Luck ;)

GG

Offline Echoes

• live every moment =)
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 08:04:54 am »
really Thanks soo much!!!!!! and sry 4 double posting..By the way r u attending this june 2011?

• Honorary Member
  • SF Overlord
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2011, 07:10:48 pm »
really Thanks soo much!!!!!! and sry 4 double posting..By the way r u attending this june 2011?

No probs :) ... I did it last year (i.e. June 2010)  ;D

Offline Echoes

• live every moment =)
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 09:18:12 pm »
oh really then howz ur exam, good or bad and wat grade u got? cuz i'm worried and i dunno anyone here doin sociology i did hear it is easy 2 get A* though ???

• Honorary Member
  • SF Overlord
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 08:48:08 pm »
oh really then howz ur exam, good or bad and wat grade u got? cuz i'm worried and i dunno anyone here doin sociology i did hear it is easy 2 get A* though ???

It was good ,since I've done most of the past papers and checked them with my teachers and I studied the definition and concepts from the GCSE books I had as well as the teacher's notes and the notes i found online.

They key of success to this subject is to do loads of past papers with you having a great background of the syllabus ;)

I got an A , Alhamdulilah :)

Offline Echoes

• live every moment =)
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2011, 12:32:57 pm »
Alhamdoallah...Thanks 4 da help golden girl inshallah it becomes a good exam ameeen ;D

• Honorary Member
  • SF Overlord
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2011, 12:57:59 pm »
Alhamdoallah...Thanks 4 da help golden girl inshallah it becomes a good exam ameeen ;D

InshAllah :)

Offline Smileforlife

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2011, 08:49:42 pm »
hiya, which is more convenient IT or sociology. Forrunately, im studying one of both, im good at computer but the practical wil be harder as i had to study alone and also sociology i have to study alone, is it possible to just read the answers to the past papers for sociology and take the exam on june? ive passed the igcse level but didnt take sociology

• Honorary Member
  • SF Overlord
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2011, 08:59:36 pm »
hiya, which is more convenient IT or sociology. Forrunately, im studying one of both, im good at computer but the practical wil be harder as i had to study alone and also sociology i have to study alone, is it possible to just read the answers to the past papers for sociology and take the exam on june? ive passed the igcse level but didnt take sociology

1. What I understand of what  you just said is you are confused on whether you want to take " Sociology" or "IT" in IGCSE perhaps the coming May/June session ?

Well if that's the case I can't help you chose since I only took Sociology i.e. I didn't take IT and since I can't help you with that decision.Sorry.

2. You see the Marking Scheme of Sociology only gives you some ideas to include in your answers but for you to gain a "full mark" on the Question or perhaps with a B and above in your exam you have to actually solve those questions on your own and post your doubts here if you have no one who can help you like a teacher or tutor.

P.S. You need to work hard for Sociology by understanding the concepts as well as knowing how to write your answers to the Questions perfectly.

Here are a couple of threads that hopefully will help you decide whether you want to take Sociology or drop it :

https://studentforums.biz/queries-78/what-is-igcse-sociology-about-is-it-hard/

If you need any help in regards of Sociology contact "Me" and perhaps "Spider-man" .. Although it's been a year since I took Sociology but I'll do my best inshAllah.

I hope I helped :)

Offline Smileforlife

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2011, 09:12:49 pm »
hey thanks :) but how can i study it .. so i just have to memorize or research.? oh yh is there alot of research? and how long does it take to cover the syllabus if i studied about 1-2 hour daily until end of september or beginning of october, since i might take it on november? if im done.. im confused
what do i start with?
just reading the book first, or memorizing the meaning of the words, please help me :) thanks and who is spider man, im new here so how can i know wheres his link  :)?
thanks alot

what did you get last year and how many hours did u study? im only studying 1-2 hours this summer .. but will study more when school starts so please help the steps i begin with
ill take sociology

• Honorary Member
  • SF Overlord
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2011, 09:15:48 pm »
I'll tell you everything tomorrow inshAllah because I need to go now ,alright ? ;)

EDIT : I'm answering your questions :)

How to study for Sociology ?

here's an intro abt Sociology ;)

mmm I took Sociology ..... u need to know the followin abt it ;

1. It's not ALL abt memorizing *first u gotta Understand the syllabus then Memorize the defenitions and impo points  ;) *

2. You need to solve the past papers from June 2004-June 2010 and let a teacher supervise ur work ... cuz it's no use if u do it alone !!

3. the Amazing fact abt sociology is that u get to pick which Qs to answer , rather than having to answerr the whole Question Paper..... BUT in preparation for the Exam to be on the safe side you should study ALL the topics not only the ones you're interested in. *I hated Politics but I  read that chapter before the exam eventually   :-\  :P *

6.It's kinda like an ESSAY kinda subject ;)

Gd Luck ;)

There is no such thing as you have to "research" but since you're studying on your own you might want to get to know a topic a bit more so that you understand it then in that case you can search whatever you want to learn but "Research" is not included ;) .. But for me to confirm this you have to give me the CODE for the Subject i.e. Sociology you're going to take in november session.

P.S. just give me the CODE and then I'll explain to you what I was trying to say ;)

How long does it take to cover the syllabus ?

Well I took Sociology with my school you see so it took me about 6 months to prepare for it and Here is my teacher's technique ;) ;

1. She taught ALL the 8 Topics and taught us ALL we need to know about them.

2. She started solving with us past papers example for two weeks she solves "Crime and Deviance" and we finish papers up to 2-4 years.

3. When she finished ALL the Topics and showing us how to approach the questions and how to write a Debate , she made us solve the "OLD" past papers i.e. June 2004 up to June 2007 and then we asked her about our doubts and that's it.

4. She gave us mocks and Quizzes every time we finished two topics ;)

5. At the end she gave us some "OLD" notes and she said they might be included in the Syllabus and hence at least just read it or take a look at it.

What do i start with?

Buy a book , actually buy TWO books and they are :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sociology-GCSE-Pauline-Wilson/dp/0003224449

and http://www.amazon.ca/Sociology-Gcse-Aqa-Pauline-Wilson/dp/0007310706

these are the books I used and they are very good. Aren't there any IGCSE Sociology books? Well to be honest not that I've heard of  :-\ . I used these two books and my teacher ALWAYS referred to the Syllabus at the end to make sure we knew everything we were supposed to know.

Nope you start by reading the Book first and from "Your Understanding " you make your OWN notes and this step is very Vital because it will help you a lot especially when you solve past papers and when you want to revise ,you'll just have to refer to "your notes" ;)

https://studentforums.biz/profile/Roxy/ => Spider-man ;) she took "Sociology" but I'm not quite sure about it.

What did you get last year ? How many hours did u study?

I ended up with an A Alhamdulilah :)

We only had 2 periods of "Sociology" a week Plus the time I spend in the weekend studying and reading so I think approximately it was about 5-7  hours a week but that was the case at the beginning of the year ,but by the end of the year that is starting from Jan/Feb we started having more lessons and I had to come to school on Weekends etc.

I hope I cleared your doubts :) If you have any doubts or any more questions don't hesitate to ask me ;)

NOTE: If you need my help in answering your past paper doubts ,I have to say it would take me some time to answer you since my resources/stuff are not with me at the moment.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 03:35:04 am by The Golden Girl »