Author Topic: Do Gandhian principles really help living a better life?  (Read 2351 times)

Offline Angel Of Love

• SF Farseer
  • loev <3 :D
Do Gandhian principles really help living a better life?
« on: October 02, 2010, 02:17:18 pm »
Today being Gandhi Jayanti (mahatma Gandhi's Birthday) i have put this topic which in India is said to be a never ending debate so let's see what sf thinks about it...

He had the following principles:
Satya(Truth)
nonresistance
Khadi(special type of cloth which any person can make without killing any organism)
Fasting
Religion

and if i missed out some of his principles plz you can add on..

So now guys you need to debate on that "do these principles mentioned above help to lead a better life?"

Offline SpongeBob

• Squarepants
  • SF Immigrant
Re: Do Gandhian principles really help living a better life?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 06:52:25 pm »
In today's world, not really.
The sky had a baby from my cereal box!

Offline sabbath_92

• SF Citizen
    • Formspring
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 06:05:11 am »
'Better life' is subjective. I think non resistance is for the weak, and it wouldn't be a better life for me if I was constantly getting dominated, and I don't believe or care about most things mentioned there. So no, to me or someone like me all these principles won't lead to a better life. But it may be different to someone else.

Offline Deadly_king

• &lt;&lt;Th3 BO$$&gt;&gt;
  • Global Moderator
  • SF Farseer
  • Hard work ALWAYS pays off.........just be patient!
    • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 06:23:59 am »
Personally I believe it really will help someone lead a better life. However we need to adapt each one of them to the current way of living.

Truth has always dominated in whichever situations. Although nowadays our lives are full of lies, we cannot deny the fact that there's something within our soul which reminds us that it is bad to lie. Our conscience is not at rest unless we're always on the right track which is very rare nowadays. With a free conscience, we'll be able to think and opt for the best solutions regarding our own lives hence improving it.

Like sabbath precised, we have developed a sense of resistance within ourselves. We are all educated and we know about our rights. We also know that no one has the right to dominate us, so we'll be fighting for our rights. But, if each and everyone of us believed in non-resistance and adopted it, the question of domination will never even arise.

Any organism on Earth is the creation of GOD. We must respect them as we respect our elders. Killing should be avoided as far as possible. Wars and conflicts will hence be prevented, what better life can we dream without wars or fights ??? Even between other organisms, peace and harmony should reign.

Fasting has been prescribed to us as a way to clean our body. It has been scientifically proved that fasting has tremendous benefits to the body of humans. Moreover fasting is carried out by people who have faith in GOD. This will also helps us to have faith and trust in others which will indeed benefit us in our lives.

Religion is the simple mode of life that GOD himself concocted for his fellow creatures. If we abide by all its rules and regulations, we are bound to be successful in life.

NOTE : These are my opinions. Anyone has the right to contest it  ;)

Offline MiniLuv

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 02:11:50 am »
Well it really depends on what you think a good life is. The concept is subjective and I do not think Gandhian principles would apply to everyone.

Offline hell0

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 06:22:41 am »
I believe they would help lead a simpler life.
But not these days.
You can't let anyone push around.
And you DO get pushed around if you seem nice and too innocent.
Maybe would work in a small town with not a lot of people.

Offline Deadly_king

• &lt;&lt;Th3 BO$$&gt;&gt;
  • Global Moderator
  • SF Farseer
  • Hard work ALWAYS pays off.........just be patient!
    • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 07:46:55 am »
Well it really depends on what you think a good life is. The concept is subjective and I do not think Gandhian principles would apply to everyone.

Indeed these principles do not apply to everyone.

However we cannot omit the fact that these same principles tend to ease the follower's life in many ways. But you are again right there ; anyone has his/her own point of view about a good life. So I guess we won't be having the similar opinions about it ;)

Offline $tyli$h Executive

• Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2010, 07:09:37 am »
Satya = Yes.

Non-resistance = No

Khadi = A joke.

Fasting = Yes. For some reason, fasting makes me look healthy. So, I guess its better

Offline Angel Of Love

• SF Farseer
  • loev <3 :D
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2010, 02:28:09 pm »
so stylish are you sayin yes or no because if we look at ur post it's like 2 for yes and 2 for no?

elemis

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2010, 04:07:23 pm »
Non-resistance = No

Non-resistance toppled the world's greatest empire without a single drop of blood being shed.

Non-resistance is the reason black people have civil rights.

• Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2010, 11:15:19 am »
Non-resistance toppled the world's greatest empire without a single drop of blood being shed.

Non-resistance is the reason black people have civil rights.

My family is at this stage today because my dad 'resisted' the old way of life and set out to find better means of living. Every development has its roots in the 'resistance' of its pioneers, to poverty and all other 'backwardness'. Those who don't develop adopt themselves to the way they are (non resistance).

elemis

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2010, 11:22:49 am »
My family is at this stage today because my dad 'resisted' the old way of life and set out to find better means of living. Every development has its roots in the 'resistance' of its pioneers, to poverty and all other 'backwardness'. Those who don't develop adopt themselves to the way they are (non resistance).

I think you misunderstand the idea behind non-resistance.

Its actually RESISTANCE through NON-VIOLENCE.

• Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2010, 11:46:04 am »
I think you misunderstand the idea behind non-resistance.

Its actually RESISTANCE through NON-VIOLENCE.

Now, non violence is another idea altogether, a whole different perspective compared to non resistance. ;)

Non resistance means complete obedience or adaptation to the authority, or just the way things are, even if things are not the way one would want.

Another meaning is to refuse to resort to force EVEN in defence. ;)

elemis

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2010, 11:53:30 am »
It just struck me that I was using the wrong phrase. As you know 'Resistance through Non-Violence' is at the basis of Gandhian principles.