Author Topic: SN1 and SN2 mechanism  (Read 1019 times)

Offline xim7007

SN1 and SN2 mechanism
« on: July 25, 2010, 06:41:31 pm »
which of the mechanism leads to foramtion of a racemic mixture? and can you please explain relation between optical activity and these mechanisms...

Offline Saladin

• The Samurai
  • Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
  • I believe in those who believe in me
    • Student Tech
Re: SN1 and SN2 mechanism
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 10:32:32 pm »
SN1 reactions.

I lack the knowledge to answer the second question. Sorry. :(

I have not started A2 Chem yet....

Offline xim7007

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 04:54:34 pm »
Thanks dude..

Offline Saladin

• The Samurai
  • Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
  • I believe in those who believe in me
    • Student Tech
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 07:24:34 pm »
Thanks dude..

I wish I could do more... :(

Offline M-H

• SF Master
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 05:55:49 pm »
its sn1 that leads to the formation of a racemic mixture...um..explanation-i don't know how to show you a diagram. the verbal explanation is..see- i am taking the example of a carbon atom(the chiral centre) attached to a CH3, C2H5, C3H7 and the other atom it is attached to being a bromine atom. draw the molecule in a way that the bromine atom and c3h7 are in one plane, c2h5 infront of the plane (wedge is used to represent that) and ch3 behind the plane (dotted lines). now sn1 means nucleophilic substitution UNIMOLECULAR reaction. the reaction happens in 2steps, 1st the carbon compound forms a carbon cation as the bromine atom breaks bond with the carbon atom. thats your 1st step. then the 2nd step is when the  hydroxide ion reacts with the carbon cation. there are two ways in which OH- could substitute bromine. (please draw and see). so you have two products, one where the OH- ion is attached to the right, the other, OH- ion attached to the left. the two products are such that they are chiral, and are optical isomers. that is, one is the non-super imposable mirror reflection of the other. and both form in equal quantity. and both ofc rotate light in opposite directions(but at the same angle). so we observe no optical activity. (oh please don't forget the other product is a bromide ion, while your writing down the reaction)

i could help much more with a diagram but don't know....um, lemme know if you understood. if not, ill try again :|. good luck :)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 07:38:21 pm by M-H »

Offline xim7007

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2010, 04:47:37 pm »
Thnkx a lot dude. :) Yeah I have understood what you were trying to explain. Don't worry about the diagrams. I hav got lot of them in my textbooks