Author Topic: HOW TOUGH is IB Physics SL??  (Read 7353 times)

Offline JD46

HOW TOUGH is IB Physics SL??
« on: July 25, 2010, 03:06:10 pm »
How tough is IB Phy SL as compared to IGCSE PHY ?? because looks like im a have to take it. because for medicine in india you have to have PCB.
I host IGCSE help files bundled together on my blog
http://igcseprep.blogspot.in/

Offline Saladin

• The Samurai
  • Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
  • I believe in those who believe in me
    • Student Tech
Re: HOW TOUGH is IB Physics SL??
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 10:23:50 pm »
I feel pixis or MaNa will be able to answer that question for you....

Offline bball92

• SF Immigrant
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 06:21:23 pm »
hey =)

i did igcse physics and got an A*

im currently doing ib physics sl and im on a 5,

truth be told its not too bad but does require work, the thermal physics chapter is pretty much the same as igcse, the only thing thats tough is the waves chapter i guess, its a step up but providing u work consistently all should be fine =)

Offline **!!superexcited!!!**

• SF Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 10:39:45 am »
How tough is IB Phy SL as compared to IGCSE PHY ?? because looks like im a have to take it. because for medicine in india you have to have PCB.
heyyy which school r u in?

Offline thukon

• SF Citizen
  • Blah
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 05:17:39 am »
Yeah, which school?? I go to TISB, in bangalore... also, i take physics HL, and its pretty easy, and quite a few people have shifted from physics SL to HL because SL was just so easy. All you need is a logical mind. I got a predicted 7 in phy HL  ;D

Offline hyebyekadal

• SF Citizen
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 09:53:23 am »
lol buntu

Offline thukon

• SF Citizen
  • Blah
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 06:15:02 pm »
Lol ganapthy, back to studentforums. When did u 'rejoin'? im using it after like 2 years.

Offline jfdiaz93

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 06:36:05 pm »
I took IGCSE physics last year and got an A grade, this year im taking SL IB physics... For me it has been kindda tricky sometimes, specially because it requires a lot more knowledge on math and equations. But if you commit with it im sure you will be ok! By the way, if you need any ideas or help with your CAS program, i Invite you to checl out my blog on CAS diaries! Here's the link: http://casjuanfelipediaz.blogspot.com/ :)

Offline aangel42

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2011, 07:33:09 am »
I'm currently taking IB Physics SL and I never took IGCSE Physics (only took Biology since I just did IGCSE for a year) and I find it quite time-consuming, but not horrible. It's supposed to be the hardest SL science, and one of the hardest SL subjects overall, and will definitely require you putting in more time than would be necessary for Biology for example, and would also require you to be logical and think through things, but it's definitely a good class, and I like it a lot. I've never done Physics before so I'm sure for me it's more difficult than it is for the others in my class - who find it relatively similar to IGCSE, but still quite different since it's definitely more advanced. I've only been taking the class for 6 months now, but it's not TERRIBLE. I got a low 6 on my first-term exam and that was just due to last-minute studying, so I'm aiming for a 7 overall.
Hope this helps! If you like Physics, you'll definitely like the class :] And if you've taken IGCSE Physics and gotten at least an A, it definitely shouldn't be bad at all for you!
:)

Offline ankitd1994

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2012, 04:14:42 pm »
Comparatively, there are actually many new concepts that you have to learn shifting from IGCSE to SL, but that may have been because I had to take Co-ordinated Sciences in IGCSE so i only did basic physics. Still, after awhile it becomes pretty easy to deal with. Though one tough part is the labs you have to submit, which need a good teacher for guidance and alot of time for calculation and the experiment. So if youre not actually interested in the practical part of the subject, you will find it tough.