Author Topic: P.H.Y.S.I.C.S P2 D.O.U.B.T.S CIE  (Read 17015 times)

Offline zxcvbnm

• SF Immigrant
Re: P.H.Y.S.I.C.S P2 D.O.U.B.T.S CIE
« Reply #180 on: June 08, 2010, 04:26:48 pm »
oh ok thankyou!

Offline hesho21

• SF Immigrant
« Reply #181 on: June 08, 2010, 04:37:23 pm »
When looking at brownian motion and comparing how larger smoke particles would be seen , what do they mean by randomness of collisions would be ‘averaged out’ ?? ???

Offline zxcvbnm

• SF Immigrant
« Reply #182 on: June 08, 2010, 04:41:45 pm »
what are the conditions for observing two source intrference?

Offline halosh92

• SF Senior Citizen
    • meticulous-me
« Reply #183 on: June 08, 2010, 05:04:24 pm »
what are the conditions for observing two source intrference?

sources need to be coherent
everyday we wake up is a miracle, then how do we say miracles dont happen?????

Offline Chingoo

• Prima Donna u__u
  • SF Senior Citizen
  • RAWR
« Reply #184 on: June 08, 2010, 06:38:03 pm »
When looking at brownian motion and comparing how larger smoke particles would be seen , what do they mean by randomness of collisions would be ‘averaged out’ ?? ???

Imagine a small ball being hit by 'balls' of almost the same size; if you ever played with marbles, you'd see that hitting a marble with another of the same size compels the stationary marble to move at the same speed as the previous one, which stops. The same rule applies to snooker. Basically, this is a case of elastic collision; when two bodies with the same mass m collide, they interchange their velocities. So:
m1u1 + m2u2 = m1v1 + m2v2
mu1 + mu2 = mu2 + mu1
as v1=u2, v2=u1
This means that small smoke particles would move randomly at the same pattern and speed as the air molecules.

Now consider a large ball being hit by much smaller balls. Ever tried punching the big fat bully in your school? I bet you got a black eye ;D Basically, to conserve momentum a body with a higher mass will have a smaller velocity in contrast with a lighter body--this is just a general statement and is often contradicted, but let's keep it in mind to solve this. The bully won't budge easily if a skinny nerd punched him because his body is reluctant to change it's state of rest--inertia. Hence, smoke particles will not be easily moved by small balls hitting them.
However, this is still a shallow explanation so let's add to it with the simple concept of surface area. A smaller ball has a small surface area, hence not many balls can collide with it at the same time. A larger ball will have a much larger surface area, and many balls will hit it from all sides at the same time. Imagine all babies hitting Barney! Barney would be stagnant, unable to move. See, a smaller body would have less inertia and would react quickly and with a higher speed (than a massive body) when hit and would not allow another ball (body) to hit it in an opposite direction and cancel the forces. A larger body is reluctant to move, and hence allows many balls to hit it at once, many of which will act in opposite directions and the forces will largely cancel out. This is what is meant by 'randomness of collisions' being 'averaged out'.
All that is on earth will perish:
But will abide (forever) the Face of thy Lord--full of Majesty, Bounty & Honor.
Then which of the favors of your Lord will ye deny?

Qura'n, Chapter 55: The Beneficent, Verses 26-28

Offline halosh92

• SF Senior Citizen
    • meticulous-me
« Reply #185 on: June 08, 2010, 06:49:29 pm »
Imagine a small ball being hit by 'balls' of almost the same size; if you ever played with marbles, you'd see that hitting a marble with another of the same size compels the stationary marble to move at the same speed as the previous one, which stops. The same rule applies to snooker. Basically, this is a case of elastic collision; when two bodies with the same mass m collide, they interchange their velocities. So:
mu1 + mu2 = mu2 + mu1
as v1=u2, v2=u1
This means that small smoke particles would move randomly at the same pattern and speed as the air molecules.

Now consider a large ball being hit by much smaller balls. Ever tried punching the big fat bully in your school? I bet you got a black eye ;D Basically, to conserve momentum a body with a higher mass will have a smaller velocity in contrast with a lighter body--this is just a general statement and is often contradicted, but let's keep it in mind to solve this. The bully won't budge easily if a skinny nerd punched him because his body is reluctant to change it's state of rest--inertia. Hence, smoke particles will not be easily moved by small balls hitting them.
However, this is still a shallow explanation so let's add to it with the simple concept of surface area. A smaller ball has a small surface area, hence not many balls can collide with it at the same time. A larger ball will have a much larger surface area, and many balls will hit it from all sides at the same time. Imagine all babies hitting Barney! Barney would be stagnant, unable to move. See, a smaller body would have less inertia and would react quickly and with a higher speed (than a massive body) when hit and would not allow another ball (body) to hit it in an opposite direction and cancel the forces. A larger body is reluctant to move, and hence allows many balls to hit it at once, many of which will act in opposite directions and the forces will largely cancel out. This is what is meant by 'randomness of collisions' being 'averaged out'.

very interesting explanation truly  :)
+ rep
everyday we wake up is a miracle, then how do we say miracles dont happen?????

Offline Joseph_COOL

• SF Immigrant
« Reply #186 on: June 08, 2010, 07:02:08 pm »
can someone plz explain the 1st question in june 2007 (the one about the calibration) ???
thanks in advance :D

Offline ruby92

• SF Citizen
« Reply #187 on: June 08, 2010, 07:08:23 pm »
m/j 2009 variant 1
2bii how do they 0.08 as time?

Offline hesho21

• SF Immigrant
« Reply #188 on: June 08, 2010, 07:24:19 pm »
mu1 + mu2 = mu2 + mu1
as v1=u2, v2=u1

Man that was great , and By the way I'm the big bully in my school :P :P Thx very much that just makes sense , +Rep :P

Offline Joseph_COOL

• SF Immigrant
« Reply #189 on: June 08, 2010, 07:26:55 pm »
plz guys June 07 Q1 about the calibration ??? ???

Offline Phosu

• SF Immigrant
« Reply #190 on: June 08, 2010, 08:29:37 pm »
m/j 2009 variant 1
2bii how do they 0.08 as time?

take the duration of the slope.
2.6-1.8=0.08

Offline ruby92

• SF Citizen
« Reply #191 on: June 08, 2010, 09:02:18 pm »