Author Topic: AS CHEMISTRY DOUBT DIAPHRAGM CELL  (Read 688 times)

Offline rackmeup

AS CHEMISTRY DOUBT DIAPHRAGM CELL
« on: May 24, 2010, 07:01:08 am »
Guys, I got a problem when I am revising Chemistry.
I understand that diaphragm cells are for manufacture of Chlorine, but I have troubles understanding what is diaphragm used for. Some classmates told me that they were to stop Cl- from going to the cathode. But they are never supposed to go towards the cathode, aren't they? As they being anions.
Then what is the diaphragm for??? Many thanks!!! :) :) :) :) :)

Offline Saladin

• The Samurai
  • Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
  • I believe in those who believe in me
    • Student Tech
Re: AS CHEMISTRY DOUBT DIAPHRAGM CELL
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 07:03:08 am »
Your'e friends are rite. In doing this, it prevents, the formation of NaCl all over again.

Offline CHEMMASTER6000

• SF Immigrant
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 07:11:52 am »
the cl is made at the anode. but it still remains in the soln, moving towards the top where it leaves. at the cathode the are OH molecules SINCE H2O will break into its constiuents H2 and OH. thus. with out the diaphram the cl and oh will mix forming NaHOCL which is bleach and thus contamination . so really the asbestos diaphram is to stop the mixing of OH AND CL. hope that helps

Offline rackmeup

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 09:15:10 am »
Your'e friends are rite. In doing this, it prevents, the formation of NaCl all over again.

CHEERS!!!

Offline rackmeup

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 09:16:03 am »
the cl is made at the anode. but it still remains in the soln, moving towards the top where it leaves. at the cathode the are OH molecules SINCE H2O will break into its constiuents H2 and OH. thus. with out the diaphram the cl and oh will mix forming NaHOCL which is bleach and thus contamination . so really the asbestos diaphram is to stop the mixing of OH AND CL. hope that helps

CHEERS!!! GD LUCK