Author Topic: Math Paper 4  (Read 3402 times)

Offline luv3life

• SF Immigrant
Re: Math Paper 4
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2010, 03:25:19 pm »
For number patterns, my teacher gave me a method to find the equations...

First, find the diffrence between all the 2 consecutive numbers.

(1) If the differences are the same in the very first try, the equation to find the nth term will be in the first degree, which is:
nth Term = an + b,
Now replace a & b with numbers. You gotta do this by trial and error, I think.

(2) If the differnces are different in the first try, find the differences of the preveious differences. If they are same here, in the second try, the equation to find the nth term will be in the second degree, which is:
nth Term = an2 + bn + c
Now replace a, b & c with numbers. You gotta do this by trial and error, I think.

(3) If the diffrences are still diffrenet in the second try, ind the differences of the preveious differences. If they are the same, in the third try, the equation to find the nth term will be in the third degree, which is:
nth Term = an3 + bn2 + cn + d
Now replace a, b, c, & d with numbers. You gotta do this by trial and error, I think.

It's kind of long when you do it the first time, but once you get used to, it's easy, yet long. But it'll always get you the correct numbers. Most often, you just guess some of the equations. Like try- n2, n3, (n+/-1)2, and such.

You need lots of practice to do these quickly in the exams. Hopefully, I've practiced enough. :P

Hope I helped. All the best, guys. :D
:) LiVe LiFe As If EaCh DaY mAy Be YoUr LaSt :)

Offline ismailb_1993

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2010, 03:41:19 pm »
no actualy this is used whn there is a common difference!!
otherwise u hv to find someother way 2 do it

that's exactly what was said. the heading of the post was 'common difference'
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 03:44:30 pm by ismailb_1993 »

Offline BusinessMaNiac! ( Shizzle)

• SF Immigrant
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2010, 03:47:13 pm »
For number patterns, my teacher gave me a method to find the equations...

First, find the diffrence between all the 2 consecutive numbers.

(1) If the differences are the same in the very first try, the equation to find the nth term will be in the first degree, which is:
nth Term = an + b,
Now replace a & b with numbers. You gotta do this by trial and error, I think.

(2) If the differnces are different in the first try, find the differences of the preveious differences. If they are same here, in the second try, the equation to find the nth term will be in the second degree, which is:
nth Term = an2 + bn + c
Now replace a, b & c with numbers. You gotta do this by trial and error, I think.

(3) If the diffrences are still diffrenet in the second try, ind the differences of the preveious differences. If they are the same, in the third try, the equation to find the nth term will be in the third degree, which is:
nth Term = an3 + bn2 + cn + d
Now replace a, b, c, & d with numbers. You gotta do this by trial and error, I think.

It's kind of long when you do it the first time, but once you get used to, it's easy, yet long. But it'll always get you the correct numbers. Most often, you just guess some of the equations. Like try- n2, n3, (n+/-1)2, and such.

You need lots of practice to do these quickly in the exams. Hopefully, I've practiced enough. :P

Hope I helped. All the best, guys. :D

Thanks alot..
This Kinda Helped:P..... =D xD

Offline BusinessMaNiac! ( Shizzle)

• SF Immigrant
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2010, 03:49:42 pm »
shazil? if ive mistaken you then sorry

but i see this questions are usually worth 1 mark...and the process you have outlined is worth atleast 3 marks.

Back off jerk!... i know this trick.. its old school now.."hey i think i no u"...
-.-
 >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

"unwanted relationships nowadays, i tell ya!"[/size][/color]

Offline ismailb_1993

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2010, 03:59:26 pm »
Back off jerk!... i know this trick.. its old school now.."hey i think i no u"...
-.-
 >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

"unwanted relationships nowadays, i tell ya!"[/size][/color]

I said "sorry if i have mistaken you for someone else"

If there's any jerk in this situation you'd be the Merriam Webster definition. In fact you may also be the merriam webster definition for a jerk-off aswell. Go hide in a hole..don't worry, no one will notice you're gone.

holtadit

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2010, 05:49:46 pm »
No fighting will be tolerated on the public forum.

Please continue your discussion on the PM service provided.

Thank You !

Offline luv3life

• SF Immigrant
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2010, 11:20:39 am »
EEE!!! I did my Maths paper 4 today... It was great! :D Hopibng for an A* in Math. :) 'because Paper 2 also went well. Well, atleast according to me, it did. :P

Anyone else did it yet? How was it for you guys? :D
:) LiVe LiFe As If EaCh DaY mAy Be YoUr LaSt :)