Author Topic: IGCSE A* vs. O-level A  (Read 6852 times)

Offline Saladin

• The Samurai
  • Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
  • I believe in those who believe in me
    • Student Tech
Re: IGCSE A* vs. O-level A
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2010, 04:33:57 pm »
To be 100% sure that u have gotten an astar, you have to get 95%-100%, even after that if you did not get an astar, there is none.

Stylish, i am so happy for u man, i know how it feels to do very well!

Alpha

« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2010, 11:32:37 am »
I as a moderator certify, that after the JAN 2010 session for Edexcel, there will no longer be O levels. So please, do not argue, O levels are no more.

:) Moderators are not members of the Examination Board. By the way, we were talking about CIE. But anyway, didn't know Edexcel had abolished O Levels. Thank you for the info.

Hey Alpha, I got the full percentage marks for my O level exam just after a few days after getting the provisional result. Just day before yesterday I got % marks for my AS exam too. Not sure why didnt you get it

We normally do not get them in Mauritius. MES ethics. :( We don't even know yet who topped, maybe end of Feb.  :(

Yes yes yes finally confirmed from someone. Its the edexcel who has dropped O levels and decided to conduct only IGCSE. CIE DID NOT DO IT. In our school many students registered for the may june O level exam.

And Alpha yes CIE HAS NOT adopted an A* grade for GCE O levet. Only in cambridge IGCSE there is A* grade.

Thank you for the confirmation.  :)

Congratulations Alpha. Thats an outstanding result! Hope you do good in AS too!

Hehe! I also got for 9 subjects % marks > 90%. And got A(a) grade. Dont know if I got distinction 1. Those who got 85  or 86 also got the same grade.

And for those who are talking about A*: i got 95% in additional maths in november 2008 which was top in the world for that subject. Still I failed to get an A*. This grade has NOT been adopted by CIE.

Congratulations to you too. :) Yours as well is the same. ;) Thank you.

Dist.1 is > 90% here, don't know about there.

Another confirmation: NO distinction 1 or 2 for us. If somebody gets A(a), thats it. No further hassle. He or she got the toppest grade. Dont know the system adopted by mauritius though.  ??? We are in zone 4. Mauritius is probably on zone 3.

Thank you for giving an idea about the zone. In Mauritius, we do have distinctions, maybe cause we don't get our results in percentile form.

An Astar at IGCSE is equivalent to a distinction at O level.

Ya, that's what I said.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 11:34:12 am by ~Alpha »

Offline $tyli$h Executive

• Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2010, 02:46:23 pm »
To be 100% sure that u have gotten an astar, you have to get 95%-100%, even after that if you did not get an astar, there is none.

Stylish, i am so happy for u man, i know how it feels to do very well!

Hey Thanks a million dude! Actually, before the O levels, I was roaming from country to country for some reason. I just landed at BD at 13th and the First exam is at 21st. I didn't even have the commputer coursework done then. Just Imagine!!!

But alhamdulillah all went well. I managed to do the coursework and went through all the exams well!

Offline Saladin

• The Samurai
  • Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
  • I believe in those who believe in me
    • Student Tech
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2010, 03:56:18 pm »
@Stylish

I did not know u were Muslim hehe.

Offline M-H

• SF Master
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2010, 01:44:25 pm »
check these for A LEVEL

HOW TO GET A*

tq how do u get these stuffs dude??the papers so fast ...ms so fast?? u got an edexcel acc.?? got sum1 whos got one ther?
no matter..good job anyway!

Offline T.Q

• SF Master
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2010, 01:59:11 pm »
tq how do u get these stuffs dude??the papers so fast ...ms so fast?? u got an edexcel acc.?? got sum1 whos got one ther?
no matter..good job anyway!

i have my ways
No Matter What Happens In Life , Just Don't Lose Hope :)

Offline DrEvil

• The Gifted One!
  • Honorary Member
  • SF Overlord
  • Love all, trust a few!
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2010, 03:33:04 pm »

O level people have to have a greater depth of knowledge, but IG people have to apply the knowledge they gain much more than that of O level people. I had this discussion wid astar, he stuck to his belief of O level, but I had this to say:

O level is ancient, so old that it barely teaches you anything new.

IGCSE applies better, i have seen O level people do badly while i do very well, because they dont know how to apply the concepts

IGCSE thus is not easier.

IGCSE is far more reputed and accepted anywhere nowadays.

you might wanna review all the posts because this topic has been resolved... ::)

we aren't fighting over here over the fact which is better IGCSE or O Levels...we were comparing the grades in both the boards... ;D

if you have done IGCSE and you think you have gained more knowledge than a student doing O levels, good for you...just concentrate on your studies these days because these days are critical due to exams so we'll decide later which is better and which is not... ;) :D

“When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before.”

Offline MaNi_DaDuDe

• Don't use profanity, it makes you seem uneducated.
  • SF Farseer
  • uh, ef you?
    • Team siCk
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2010, 04:49:21 pm »

huh who was fighting ? + i know that the topic was resolved before i posted tht 1

im doing it n yeah i know its good for me + this message was posted by engraved (name was written) i guess loong ago so i just copied n pasted it on this board thanx for showin me ur gr8 attitude ::) ;D ;)

Sorry if we offended you, none was intended. :)

You don't need to report his post.. lol

Have a nice day! :)

Offline MaNi_DaDuDe

• Don't use profanity, it makes you seem uneducated.
  • SF Farseer
  • uh, ef you?
    • Team siCk
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2010, 10:19:43 pm »
loool i was just testing on how 2 send 1 because im new to this site thats y  ;D

ehh i wasnt really offended By the way

lol, okay. I'm glad to hear that. :)