Author Topic: CHEM A2 AND BIO A2 AND MATH (STATS + P3) DISCUSSION  (Read 1131 times)

Offline CHEMMASTER6000

• SF Immigrant
CHEM A2 AND BIO A2 AND MATH (STATS + P3) DISCUSSION
« on: May 14, 2010, 04:58:06 pm »
hey, peps on the forum i got the idea from nid404 . im up to help anyone as much as possible ,  hit me With as much as you got. jsut one condition , everything should be in the range of cie and ocr syllabus :D.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 05:09:55 pm by chemmaster »

Offline Stealth

Re: CHEM A2 AND BIO A2 AND MATH (STATS + P3) DISCUSSION
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 07:27:03 pm »
1st question : how to study for chem applications
2nd Question: Explain as much as you can continuity correction ; when to apply it; hw to apply it

Offline CHEMMASTER6000

• SF Immigrant
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 02:43:22 am »
1st question : how to study for chem applications

you should be given a cie booklet , or you could download the cie booklet from the alevel site. i suggest reading through it and hitting the past paper right after. there is 3 booklets, biochem, materials and design and analytical chem.  besides biochem and materials. there are many books available which contain analytical chem practices which you could use as well. i could help you if you have a specific topic on chem apps.

2nd Question: Explain as much as you can continuity correction ; when to apply it; hw to apply it

continuity correction is a means of standardizing after a bionomial expression. so after a bionomial expression if the question asks, use an appropriate approx to ....... , form the bionomial expression you do np=mean npq =standard deviation . the p(x>t) should also be given. that value of t is where you apply the continuity correction . for value of p(x>&=t) you use t-0.5 as your x value and for values of p(x>t) you use t+0.5 as your x value. thus from there you deduce your normal dist expression . hope that helps, pm me if you still have issues with it
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 12:14:46 pm by chemmaster »

Offline AndrewCedric

• SF Immigrant
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 02:57:06 am »
are all stuffs from chem app important?? Like X ray crytalloraphy.. Green Chemistry and so on??

Offline CHEMMASTER6000

• SF Immigrant
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 03:48:09 am »
technically they are all important, but it seems as the the questions they give only cover the selected few, all of bio chem. nmr mass spec at so on. its hard to say. but i would just read through to get a good idea over everyhting in chem app

Offline a2man

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 09:02:22 am »
@Chemmaster : Dude i found a post related to continuity correction on studentrooms.co.uk ...it said :
" if x>n then n+0.5
  if x<n then n-0.5
  if x>= n then n-0.5
  if x<= n then n+0.5"
and it works to give the correct answers..
@ stealth Try these in your past papers and i'm sure youd be able to solve all the qs without any problem.Hope it helps

Offline CHEMMASTER6000

• SF Immigrant
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 11:32:37 am »
oh yes indeed, i was going to correct what i said but i dont know how to edit =s woops sorry