Author Topic: Edexcel CHEMISTRY DOUBTS!!!!  (Read 246636 times)

Offline Amii

• SF Farseer
Re: Edexcel CHEMISTRY DOUBTS!!!!
« Reply #645 on: December 20, 2010, 11:38:46 am »
and then the second part says :
Suggest why is it Impossible to find enthalpy change of carbon monoxide Directly ?

I wrote because it has other products as well , is that right o.0 ?!

MS's ANS : (Some) CO2 is Always produced in the reaction .

When you burn C in oxygen to form CO - the CO naturally gets oxidised to CO2.Hence there is always a mixture of CO and CO2 formed.

Other products formed - I am not sure if "other products" will work or not - maybe they want the answer to be more specific as to what product is formed - I am not sure  :-\

By my sweeett nephew ;D

Offline Amii

• SF Farseer
« Reply #646 on: December 20, 2010, 12:38:15 pm »
Methane does NOT burn Unless Lit

then A Q says :

Use this Information to explain the difference between thermodynamic and kinetic Stability

Methane at room temperature will be kinetically stable ( that is the colliding particles do not hit each other with sufficient energy for the reaction to occur - activation energy is not reached[activation energy barrier is high]) and thermodynamically unstable (when energy level of products[CO2 and H20] is lower than that of reactants [CH4 and O2]),hence the reaction doesn't occur.When lit the reactants get heated and enough molecules gain energy equal to or greater than the activation energy for the system to become kinetically unstable and thermodynamically stable.Hence the reaction occurs.

GG sorry the answer is very messed up - Please check with someone else-I am really not sure  :-[
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 12:54:33 pm by Sherlock Holmes »

By my sweeett nephew ;D

Offline The Golden Girl =D

• Without Allah I'm nothing <3
  • Honorary Member
  • SF Overlord
  • Ain't Nothin worth your tears =D
    • www.thegoldengirl157.blogspot.com
« Reply #647 on: December 20, 2010, 01:02:16 pm »
When you burn C in oxygen to form CO - the CO naturally gets oxidised to CO2.Hence there is always a mixture of CO and CO2 formed.

Other products formed - I am not sure if "other products" will work or not - maybe they want the answer to be more specific as to what product is formed - I am not sure  :-\

I thought so -.-

Hmm ya Okay I'll ask Ari iA =]

Thanks Loads girl =D
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest(13:28)

Please, Don't forget to Include GG in your Prayers =D

Offline Amii

• SF Farseer
« Reply #648 on: December 20, 2010, 01:11:08 pm »

I thought so -.-

Hmm ya Okay I'll ask Ari iA =]

Thanks Loads girl =D

Okay  :D
No problem :D

By my sweeett nephew ;D

Offline Deadly_king

• &lt;&lt;Th3 BO$$&gt;&gt;
  • Global Moderator
  • SF Farseer
  • Hard work ALWAYS pays off.........just be patient!
    • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
« Reply #649 on: December 20, 2010, 01:51:57 pm »

Amii is right.  :)

You can never perform partial oxidation only that is the conversion of Carbon to Carbon monoxide only.

Carbon dioxide will always be present since some carbon atoms will have sufficient activation energy to undergo complete oxidation. ;)

Other products ----> I don't think it's enough to score the marks. If you intended carbon dioxide, then say so directly. Use other products in places you're not sure of.

Offline Deadly_king

• Global Moderator
  • SF Farseer
« Reply #650 on: December 20, 2010, 02:05:41 pm »
SECOND Q:

Natural Gas consists of Methane. When methane burns completely in oxygen the reaction occurs as shown below :

Bleh bleh

Methane does NOT burn Unless Lit

then A Q says :

Use this Information to explain the difference between thermodynamic and kinetic Stability

Here is the exact notes you require to differentiate between thermodynamics and kinetic stability.

So we should try to understand this : Methane does NOT burn Unless Lit.

I'll take out the point which we can derive according to the quote.

1. Activation energy is not reached until we provide a source of energy when we light it up.

Let me know if you're not understanding. ;)

Offline guMnam

• !!~~**~~!!
  • SF Farseer
  • !!~~guMnam~~!!
« Reply #651 on: December 20, 2010, 02:50:02 pm »
wats the apearance of nickel (II) sulfate crystals hydrous     (I.E shape and colour)  ????

Thanks in advance...

I <3 Challenges
Never give up :)

• Honorary Member
  • SF Overlord
« Reply #652 on: December 20, 2010, 04:11:13 pm »
Here is the exact notes you require to differentiate between thermodynamics and kinetic stability.

1. Activation energy is not reached until we provide a source of energy when we light it up.

About the Products thing I get it ^_^

Hmm Can you Explain it in your Own words cuz I feel I'm going to be even more confused if I read All that  :-X :-\ :-[

Offline Amii

• SF Farseer
« Reply #653 on: December 20, 2010, 05:09:53 pm »
wats the apearance of nickel (II) sulfate crystals hydrous     (I.E shape and colour)  ????

Thanks in advance...
Green
and
Monoclinic - I guess  :-\

When I made it in school I got needle shaped crystals
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 06:22:43 pm by Sherlock Holmes »

By my sweeett nephew ;D

• Honorary Member
  • SF Overlord
« Reply #654 on: December 20, 2010, 05:19:42 pm »

Hmm can u explain it in your OWN words cuz I feel this is really complicating -.-

Offline Deadly_king

• Global Moderator
  • SF Farseer
« Reply #655 on: December 21, 2010, 10:28:36 am »
Hmm can u explain it in your OWN words cuz I feel this is really complicating -.-

The need for input of energy symbolizes the fact that the reaction is kinetically stable; meaning that the reaction must have some sort of energy input before it can proceed, otherwise, the reactants cannot reach the activation energy threshold.

This is how the quote 'Methane does NOT burn Unless Lit.' is related to kinetic stability, i.e activation energy is required and provided by the source of energy when we light it up. ;)

Thermodynamics is either (1) the energy released during a reaction, in which case ^G will be negative and the reaction exothermic, or (2) the energy consumed during a reaction, in which case ^G will be positive and the reaction endothermic.

Since we found that ^Hf is negative, it implies that energy is released and the reaction is exothermic.

Now we come to the difference between kinetic and thermodynamic stabilities.

A reaction is said to be kinetically stable when it requires a large activation energy.  In this case we've been told that reaction does not occur unless we light it up, meaning that the reaction is kinetically stable. ;)

Something that is thermodynamically stable will not need an input of energy to be converted from reactants to products, because its most stable and preferred state is that of being composed of products. Instead, a thermodynamically-stable reaction will require energy to be converted from products back to reactants.

It's almost as if a kinetically-stable reaction is stubborn and does not want to be converted into products-- it's too lazy. You have to induce it to become products by giving it kinetic energy, which MOVES the reaction forward (kinetics = movement). The same is for thermodynamically-stable reactions, except you'd be inducing the reaction to go back into reactants from a state of products.

• Honorary Member
  • SF Overlord
« Reply #656 on: December 21, 2010, 10:32:20 am »
The need for input of energy symbolizes the fact that the reaction is kinetically stable; meaning that the reaction must have some sort of energy input before it can proceed, otherwise, the reactants cannot reach the activation energy threshold.

This is how the quote 'Methane does NOT burn Unless Lit.' is related to kinetic stability, i.e activation energy is required and provided by the source of energy when we light it up. ;)

Thermodynamics is either (1) the energy released during a reaction, in which case ^G will be negative and the reaction exothermic, or (2) the energy consumed during a reaction, in which case ^G will be positive and the reaction endothermic.

Since we found that ^Hf is negative, it implies that energy is released and the reaction is exothermic.

Now we come to the difference between kinetic and thermodynamic stabilities.

A reaction is said to be kinetically stable when it requires a large activation energy.  In this case we've been told that reaction does not occur unless we light it up, meaning that the reaction is kinetically stable. ;)

Something that is thermodynamically stable will not need an input of energy to be converted from reactants to products, because its most stable and preferred state is that of being composed of products. Instead, a thermodynamically-stable reaction will require energy to be converted from products back to reactants.

It's almost as if a kinetically-stable reaction is stubborn and does not want to be converted into products-- it's too lazy. You have to induce it to become products by giving it kinetic energy, which MOVES the reaction forward (kinetics = movement). The same is for thermodynamically-stable reactions, except you'd be inducing the reaction to go back into reactants from a state of products.

Jazaka Allahu Kairan =]

Offline Deadly_king

• Global Moderator
  • SF Farseer
« Reply #657 on: December 21, 2010, 10:44:06 am »
Jazaka Allahu Kairan =]

Wa jazaaki

Hope I said it rightly. :D

• Honorary Member
  • SF Overlord
« Reply #658 on: December 21, 2010, 10:45:34 am »
Perfectly mA =D

Offline Deadly_king

• Global Moderator
  • SF Farseer
« Reply #659 on: December 21, 2010, 10:51:03 am »
Perfectly mA =D

Shukran my arabic teacher. :D