Author Topic: Should marriage be a lifelong commitment?  (Read 9395 times)

Offline $tyli$h Executive

• Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
Re: Should marriage be a lifelong commitment?
« Reply #60 on: February 25, 2010, 03:49:22 pm »
Boring? It's not a reason that sticks on its own. So many things are boring for some people: taking a bath everyday is boring, eating is boring, studying is boring, etc. But that does not change the normal course of life.

Besides, children are not made for temporary periods. Can you see them changing mothers and fathers every time? Then will there be the most disputes.

I have no experience of marriage. ::) Just debating. ;D

As far as the children are concerned, I agree that we should show some concern for them too. But that is a secondary issue.

For me, sticking to one partner for life is not 'boring', it's a proof of integrity.

I respect your thinking. That is how I/we should think too. :)

Offline O.T.13.

• SF V.I.P
« Reply #61 on: February 25, 2010, 05:08:15 pm »
@Alpha:
I agree that there should be a little bit of restriction as far as extramarital sex is concerned. But this is just as far as it should go.

It is, of course, boring to live with only one partner for the rest of the life. It is a mental torture for both the husband and the wife to form a 'lifelong' commitment and live like that for 40 years. So to free them, it should not be a lifelong one. But a temporary commitment, with a clearly defined time period.

now that is a fling not a marriage -_-
Nothing is worse than being surrounded by people and yet you still feel lonely

Alpha

« Reply #62 on: February 25, 2010, 05:14:40 pm »
LOL, I'm not married either.  :P

Children; they would be my priority. That's a life, a whole new world. They deserve responsible guides.

I respect your thinking. That is how I/we should think too.  :)

Well.  :)

now that is a fling not a marriage -_-

Yup. Correct.  ;)

• Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
« Reply #63 on: February 26, 2010, 08:07:15 am »
Wrong. That is the modern style of marriage, offering flexibility and therefore, keeping the number of clashes down to a minimum. It is also designed to normalize divorce. ;)

Children are of course a secondary issue. First its me, then my children. :)

Offline O.T.13.

• SF V.I.P
« Reply #64 on: February 26, 2010, 09:00:05 am »
Wrong. That is the modern style of marriage, offering flexibility and therefore, keeping the number of clashes down to a minimum. It is also designed to normalize divorce. ;)

Children are of course a secondary issue. First its me, then my children. :)

modern style of marriage, if we're going into modern lives then marriage is not a very essential thing, hook up with some chick have half a dozen kids dump her go for the next one who cares!?

Alpha

« Reply #65 on: February 26, 2010, 12:35:09 pm »
Modern style of marriage?

Excuse me, whatever the style, marriage is marriage. We eat "food", in whatever form it might be.

It's either marriage or cohabitation. The difference: marriage is not banal.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 12:48:26 pm by ~Alpha »

• Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
« Reply #66 on: February 26, 2010, 01:09:50 pm »
This modern style of marriage exhibits the most advantages for both the husband and the wife. Its mainly due to the flexibility offered. AND the absence of a lifetime commitment.

Offline MTerdon

« Reply #67 on: February 26, 2010, 04:02:07 pm »
Marriage is by definition a union for life, but since 50% of couples divorce and many more wish to but can't, I think that marriage as a whole is a very poor social model, given the current social environment. It is merely a method of controlling the people, so we are flocked by expenses, mortgages, wedding costs.

Offline O.T.13.

• SF V.I.P
« Reply #68 on: February 26, 2010, 05:27:26 pm »
Marriage is by definition a union for life, but since 50% of couples divorce and many more wish to but can't, I think that marriage as a whole is a very poor social model, given the current social environment. It is merely a method of controlling the people, so we are flocked by expenses, mortgages, wedding costs.

agree with that, but keep in mind that according to yourself, theres another 50% that IS happy and committed

Alpha

« Reply #69 on: February 27, 2010, 03:23:39 pm »

That's in America, you've taken the worst example. We can't generalize for the whole world.
America is IN the world, it's not the world.

Okay, I'm quoting what I had replied elsewhere:

Marriage, as a union for life, offers much more. Actually, it's the only thing so far that offers everything: love, attachment, companionship, understanding, friendship, compassion, confidant, courage, satisfaction... Good or bad, you get everything in this union. Marriage deepens one's existence, it beautifies every facet of life, adds more to the journey and helps you get through it more smoothly... Man's biggest weakness is loneliness. Marriage gives you a partner for life, now it's up to you to maintain it. A wife and a husband are each others' best friends. They are each others' shadow, their soul mates. They live through joy, happiness, sadness, deception, hardships, etc. They are each others' courage when the going gets tough, they are each others' reasons, smiles, words, mistakes, achievements. They learn to forgive and share. They learn to forget their own defects and be the support of another. They're their together-forever. The relationship they share is equal to "more than this world and all that it contains"...

Yes, I do agree. It is a method of controlling people. Controlling people from becoming sexual beasts.

This modern style of marriage exhibits the most advantages for both the husband and the wife. Its mainly due to the flexibility offered. AND the absence of a lifetime commitment.

Advantages? That's advantageous?? Flexibility? Sorry, but that's merely an excuse to keep changing sexual partners without society pointing fingers at you. It's 'using' marriage.

• Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
« Reply #70 on: February 27, 2010, 04:02:23 pm »

Yes, I do agree. It is a method of controlling people. Controlling people from becoming sexual beasts.

LOL!!! :D :D :D ;D ;D ;D ;)

• Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
« Reply #71 on: February 27, 2010, 04:14:29 pm »

Advantages? That's advantageous?? Flexibility? Sorry, but that's merely an excuse to keep changing sexual partners without society pointing fingers at you. It's 'using' marriage.

It is necessary to keep both men and women happy. A flexible life is a happy one, free from restrictions and all 'bonds'. A constrained life is a sad one. If its 'using' marriage, it IS using.

Alpha

« Reply #72 on: March 02, 2010, 01:16:00 am »
Using marriage as the backdoor of "prostitution" or, I would go to say, "rape".

Offline O.T.13.

• SF V.I.P
« Reply #73 on: March 02, 2010, 02:28:34 am »
Promiscuity will enter whole new levels this way...

• Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
« Reply #74 on: March 02, 2010, 03:34:13 am »
@Alpha,

You must understand that marriage is not something 'HOLY' or special. Neither it is unholy. It is just a process like driving, cooking, dancing and whatever. Process for your benifit and happiness. It is never something as dirty as rape or prostitution. But it is not something special or sacred either. Just a mere process.