Author Topic: How does Google make money?!  (Read 3070 times)

Offline $tyli$h Executive

• Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
How does Google make money?!
« on: December 22, 2009, 02:44:13 pm »
Google has a market capitalization of more than 150 billion USD. How does it make so much money? The owner, Larry Page and Sergey Brin, both Russian, net worths are 12 billiion USD each

On the surface, a search engine, no matter its popularity, doesn't seem like the most profitable of ventures. You type in your query, hit enter and then find your results without making any payment. The oft-overlooked money-making machine for Google is advertising, which allows Google to make its profits off its sites and other sites that participate in Google's advertising schemes.

Sponsored Links

You may not notice it, but when you perform a search in Google, sponsored links appear on the right side of the screen. These are advertisers that make a business agreement with Google in order to get their ads displayed alongside the results of the most appropriate searches. That way, people searching for used cars may find people selling cars with the sponsored links.

Search Results

In contrast to other search engines, the sponsored links are never displayed with the other results that your search turns up. Certain search engines take money from websites so that when those websites come up in search results, they appear higher up on the results than other non-paying websites. Google refuses to do this and instead puts the ads alongside the rest of the results, clearly setting them aside as "sponsored links."

AdWords

Google uses an AdWords system that allows a potential advertiser to specify the search terms she would like to specify as the words that, when searched, will display her ads. A flower shop in San Francisco, for example, could have a keyword that involves the city in which it does business and type of business, such as "San Francisco florist."

AdSense

Because of the immense popularity of Google, plenty of customers that want to advertise on the grand frontier that is the Internet. When people pay for these advertisements, that is where Google makes the lion's share of its money. Website owners can also sign up for Google's AdSense program, which includes ads on the website that are contextually relevant. When visitors click on them, all parties make money.

A Win-Win-Win Situation

Although the idea of making money off of a search engine can be difficult to understand, it all lies in advertising, which allows everyone to benefit. Those who advertise get increased business, and Google gets the money from their payments. Consumers who search for certain products may find it easier to find what they are looking for by using the sponsored links than to pore through all of the results, so it is a win-win-win situation.

Offline O.T.13.

• SF V.I.P
Re: How does Google make money?!
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 10:06:13 pm »
i kinda guessed most of these, but what i do no understand is why did it only work with Google and no other engine  ???
Nothing is worse than being surrounded by people and yet you still feel lonely

Offline astarmathsandphysics

• SF Overlord
  • Free the exam papers!
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2009, 10:25:44 pm »
Exactly. And fep is now banned from adsense.

• Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 04:04:08 am »
i kinda guessed most of these, but what i do no understand is why did it only work with Google and no other engine  ???

As far as I know, Larry Page and Sergey Brin invented a unique search engine algorithm back in Stanford University as a part of their PhD thesis on search engines. The unique algorithm allows Google to find the most relevant results according to your searches. In my opinion, I have tried searching for things in yahoo, bing, ask, altavista and I can say that nothing matches google's results!

This is why Google is popular with most. It has highest hits of all similar search engines. This allows it to be popular with advertisers. This is where it earns money.

many other search engines use an auction system for their search results, which is cruel, unlike google.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 05:17:33 am by $tyli$h Executive »

• Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 04:12:06 am »
Exactly. And fep is now banned from adsense.

For what reason? something related to copyright violations?

• SF Overlord
  • Free the exam papers!
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 05:24:16 am »
Yes copyright

Offline O.T.13.

• SF V.I.P
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 10:04:26 am »
ah huh, silly why others didn't use AdSense

• SF Overlord
  • Free the exam papers!
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2009, 02:40:42 pm »
Adsense pays the most

Offline O.T.13.

• SF V.I.P
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2009, 08:00:23 pm »
Adsense pays the most

couldn't others like Yahoo or Bing use it or something similar to it?

• Honorary Member
  • SF V.I.P
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2009, 02:16:23 am »
couldn't others like Yahoo or Bing use it or something similar to it?

But Google is much more popular than yahoo or bing!

• SF Overlord
  • Free the exam papers!
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2009, 07:17:38 pm »
Yes and google doesnt care two figs about anyone else copyright either.