Author Topic: New to A2  (Read 1892 times)

Offline MaNi_DaDuDe

• Don't use profanity, it makes you seem uneducated.
  • SF Farseer
  • uh, ef you?
    • Team siCk
New to A2
« on: December 04, 2009, 05:43:32 pm »
Hi

So I just started my A2. (CIE)
I am taking Biology, Chemistry and Physics. (I can't continue with Computing as it clashes with Biology)

I wanted to know if there are any tips on how to study / any helpful resources / any recommended websites or texts?

Also, I don't understand what Paper 5 is about. . . Can someone explain that to me? In addition, does paper 4 include stuff from the AS syllabus? Should I revise AS with A2 as I go through the course or what?

Thanks in advance. :D

-MaNi

Offline staceyboy3

• SF Geek
Re: New to A2
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 06:22:41 pm »
Hi

I am taking Biology, Chemistry and Physics. (I can't continue with Computing as it clashes with Biology)

I wanted to know if there are any tips on how to study / any helpful resources / any recommended websites or texts?

Also, I don't understand what Paper 5 is about. . . Can someone explain that to me? In addition, does paper 4 include stuff from the AS syllabus? Should I revise AS with A2 as I go through the course or what?

-MaNi

In physics, paper 5 is called "Planning, analysis and evaluation".

From the syllabus:

Paper 5 will be a timetabled, written paper focussing on the following higher-order experimental
skills:

• planning;
• analysis, conclusions and evaluation.

This examination paper will not require laboratory facilities.

It should be stressed that candidates cannot be adequately prepared for this paper
without extensive laboratory work during their course of study.

In particular, candidates cannot be taught to plan experiments effectively unless, on a number of
occasions, they are required:
• to plan an experiment;
• to perform the experiment according to their plan;
• to evaluate what they have done.
This requires many hours of laboratory-based work, and it also requires careful oversight from
teachers to ensure that experiments are performed with due regard to safety.

The paper will consist of two questions each of 15 marks.  The first question will be a planning
question, in which candidates will be required to design an experimental investigation of a given
problem.  The question will not be highly structured: candidates will be expected to answer with a
diagram and an extended piece of writing.  The second question will be an analysis, conclusions
and evaluation question, in which candidates will be given an equation and some experimental
data, from which they will be required to find the value of a constant.  This question also will not be
highly structured: candidates will be expected to decide for themselves what they need to do in
order to reach an answer.  They will also be required to estimate the uncertainty in their answer.   

Some questions on this paper may be set in areas of Physics that are difficult to investigate
experimentally in school laboratories, either because of the cost of equipment or because of
restrictions on the availability of, for example, radioactive materials.  No question will require prior
knowledge of theory or equipment that is beyond the syllabus: where necessary, candidates will be
given the information that they need.
---------

And paper 4 will contain A2 as well as AS stuff, so study for AS as well :)

As for bio and chem, no idea. Check the syllabus
Relax, enjoy and be LAZY!

Offline MaNi_DaDuDe

• SF Farseer
  • uh, ef you?
    • Team siCk
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 06:30:57 pm »
In physics, paper 5 is called "Planning, analysis and evaluation".

From the syllabus:

Paper 5 will be a timetabled, written paper focussing on the following higher-order experimental
skills:

• planning;
• analysis, conclusions and evaluation.

This examination paper will not require laboratory facilities.

It should be stressed that candidates cannot be adequately prepared for this paper
without extensive laboratory work during their course of study.

In particular, candidates cannot be taught to plan experiments effectively unless, on a number of
occasions, they are required:
• to plan an experiment;
• to perform the experiment according to their plan;
• to evaluate what they have done.
This requires many hours of laboratory-based work, and it also requires careful oversight from
teachers to ensure that experiments are performed with due regard to safety.

The paper will consist of two questions each of 15 marks.  The first question will be a planning
question, in which candidates will be required to design an experimental investigation of a given
problem.  The question will not be highly structured: candidates will be expected to answer with a
diagram and an extended piece of writing.  The second question will be an analysis, conclusions
and evaluation question, in which candidates will be given an equation and some experimental
data, from which they will be required to find the value of a constant.  This question also will not be
highly structured: candidates will be expected to decide for themselves what they need to do in
order to reach an answer.  They will also be required to estimate the uncertainty in their answer.   

Some questions on this paper may be set in areas of Physics that are difficult to investigate
experimentally in school laboratories, either because of the cost of equipment or because of
restrictions on the availability of, for example, radioactive materials.  No question will require prior
knowledge of theory or equipment that is beyond the syllabus: where necessary, candidates will be
given the information that they need.
---------

And paper 4 will contain A2 as well as AS stuff, so study for AS as well :)

As for bio and chem, no idea. Check the syllabus

I did check the syllabus. Read everything.

I am still very unclear.

Anyway, thanks bro. :]
Appreciate it. :)

pz

Offline Lana Wolf

• SF Farseer
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 06:01:25 pm »
Hi

-MaNi

Well i had the same doubts when i started my A2...
For studying you have time...but dont underestimate..even if A2 has 2 papers ..like one less thn AS but still for P5 u'll need good practice...
Yes..P5....its a very easy paper....as u kno it needs no practicals...but you will need to kno or atleast remember what u had done for AS...it has 2 questions -->one planning and one analysis quest...both 15 mk ..
For d planning one you will be told the aim of the experiment..like what you have to show is true or prove ...you will be given the apparatus and you will have to explain the procedure that ure gonna conduct..explain the independent and dependent factors...explain risks...extra controlled factors and all...its very simple...and mind you im saying all this in general...bio and chem papers might have 3 questions too..chem might also ask you to draw a diadgram and show the setup of your apparatus..
Physics paper will always ask for a diagram...
Analysis...okay..so they will tell you what procedure  has been conducted ..you have to decide what it proves..for physics it always has given values...first quest will be a table asking to find some value with a X^something or root values...remember AS measurement and uncerntainties chap here...
then you'll be given an equation...few values you'll find..you'll have a graph..then worst fit and best fit lines...find gradient,,intersept...use them in the main formula and prove it right..dind values etc...
chem...sometimes you'll get a graph here..otherwise only guessing and proving stuff..
Bio..the easiest...you'll prove a hypothesis right by using the chi-square test..t-test standard deviation etc..mostly all statistical stuff here...
well i hope you understand something here... :) Best go thru a few past papers..temme then if you dont undrstnd sumthing...and dont worry so early...lol..its a 30mks paper out which only 12% actually counts...lol

You dont need to revise AS again...only remeber the basic principles and formulaes....for chem you will need to remember the reactions and tests...tho not much is asked on alkanes..aldehydes...etc actually maybe 0.1 % lol
so go thru d A2 syallbus well...get to know everything...

And if you have any more doubts..ask me anytime..ive done A2 math physics chem and eng... ;D ;D

Offline MaNi_DaDuDe

• SF Farseer
  • uh, ef you?
    • Team siCk
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 09:25:05 pm »
Hey :)

Thanks a million for that sincere advice/info Teju! :D

+rep. :]

Yeah I'll go through some papers and hit you back. :D

Offline Lana Wolf

• SF Farseer
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 01:33:04 pm »
Hey :)

Thanks a million for that sincere advice/info Teju! :D

+rep. :]

Yeah I'll go through some papers and hit you back. :D

Hey..no problem...ask me anything bout A2.. :) :)

:)