Author Topic: A-level subject choosing dilemma  (Read 2717 times)

Offline staceyboy3

• SF Geek
Re: A-level subject choosing dilemma
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2009, 10:34:20 pm »
I have been recently thinking about studying energy systems/technology/renewable or whatever. University of Dundee and Napier uni in Edinburgh offer those. If i want to study in Sweden, i have to be best in chemistry, which is WAY out of my league. UK is the only place to study energy with a maths and science A-level.

Economics doesn't sound half bad, but doesn't it have a lot of "explain" questions, which is not really what I'm after (although i'm not sure lol but it sounds bad :D). My sister is going to do Economics, maybe I could study it with her...

What could i do with Economics? ???
Relax, enjoy and be LAZY!

Offline lonelyboy

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2009, 11:41:07 pm »
I have been recently thinking about studying energy systems/technology/renewable or whatever. University of Dundee and Napier uni in Edinburgh offer those. If i want to study in Sweden, i have to be best in chemistry, which is WAY out of my league. UK is the only place to study energy with a maths and science A-level.

Economics doesn't sound half bad, but doesn't it have a lot of "explain" questions, which is not really what I'm after (although i'm not sure lol but it sounds bad :D). My sister is going to do Economics, maybe I could study it with her...

What could i do with Economics? ???

A hell lot my friend, a hell lot. :P

Economics is like Maths and Physics. Some of the skills you accquire are universal. Just like how all Business students are encouraged to do Maths and have on Science option preferably like Physics open, alot of students are also asked to have Economics for the sole reason you can apply it to more than you can think. Economics is basically principles and logic. It does have alot of writing and explaining to do but unlike Chemistry and Biology which is facts and facts and minute details, Economics is very interesting. For example,

What could be the possible effects of Olympics 2012 being held in London to London?

Now say any student who hasn't done Economics gets to answer this, he will say:

Tourism increases, revenue increases.
Local businesses get encouraged
Revenue is generated by media, advertising
London government gets $$$ by selling media coverage rights
Hotels, restaurants make profit.
Airline industry gets a lift etc. etc
And some few bad sides as well like:
Pollution

Now that's Economics, you read and think about it more than you realise and by doing Economics you just get a technical round up of those facts. It's very interesting =)

Also if you do Economics, you can easily branch out into the management side of energy systems/technology/renewable or whatever :P

Cheers mate. :)

Offline staceyboy3

• SF Geek
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2009, 01:11:11 am »
Wow. Sounds interesting!

I will have a look at the syllabus.

Relax, enjoy and be LAZY!