Author Topic: AS Chemistry Question  (Read 1580 times)

Offline kratos009

• SF Immigrant
AS Chemistry Question
« on: November 01, 2009, 02:27:42 am »
Hey guys,
This is a question from the May/June 2002 Paper 2. In a chlorofluorocarbon, CHF2CHClF, the question asked which covalent bond is the weakest and the answer was the C-Cl bond. Does anyone know why the C-H bond is stronger than the C-Cl bond? And in that particular chlorofluorocarbon, CHF2CHClF, is the chemical inertness of this compound due to the very strong C-F bond? 
Thank you in advance.

Everyone Good Luck with you exams.
Don't worry holidays is coming soon! ;D ;D

nid404

Re: AS Chemistry Question
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 03:56:11 am »
It's cause of the size and electronegativity. I will look for something to explain it.

Offline kratos009

• SF Immigrant
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 07:24:06 am »
Ok thanks nid.  So is the chemical inertness of the chlorofluorocarbon due to the strong C-F bond?

nid404

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 09:34:49 am »
Ok thanks nid.  So is the chemical inertness of the chlorofluorocarbon due to the strong C-F bond?

yup....
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 07:40:05 am by nid404 »

Offline raunaqbhatia

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 11:38:12 am »
Hi please reputate me if u find this usefull i will be gratefull  :) :D ;D

Carbon and Chlorine both are more on the electronegative side so the bond is not as strong as C-H..bond as H is kind of electropositive..so I wud say the C-Cl bond has a lesser difference in elecronegativity and truly depend on weak Vanderwaal forces

Offline Light

• SF Immigrant
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2009, 07:31:15 am »
well, the electronegativity of C and H no big difference compared to C and Cl.Cl is more elctronegativity and has more electron clouds at Cl causing the unequal distribution of electrons,and having this distortion making it less stable to heat and so C-Cl bond is the weakest.C-H bonds has less distortion due to almost symmetrical electron cloud.yes, chemical inertness due to C-F bond because the bond length is short and more overlapping of orbitals and need higer bond energy to break it. the higher the bond energy,the more difficult it undergoes reaction. raunaqbhatia theory is absolutely wrong, where u get that from?

Offline kratos009

• SF Immigrant
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2009, 08:02:12 am »
Ok thanks a lot light, i understand it now ;D.

Offline raunaqbhatia

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2009, 12:50:43 pm »
sorry dude but u wrong