Author Topic: Useful tips for mulitple choice science  (Read 1076 times)

Offline iluvfep

Useful tips for mulitple choice science
« on: June 05, 2009, 05:46:11 pm »
Hey here are some tips.. tell me if they helped or not! Thanks

1. Read the question and try to answer it BEFORE looking at the answers.

The capital of Alberta is A) Ottawa B) Calgary C) Edmonton D) Lethbridge

Read the question. You know the answer is "Edmonton". Start by looking for "Edmonton" among the answers. By thinking of the answer first, you are less likely to be fooled by a wrong answer.

But make sure you look at all the answers before choosing:

Edmonton can be described as Alberta's A) capital city B) largest city C) gateway to the north D) all of the above

Even though (A) is true, (D) is the correct answer. It is important to read all the answers, and not just take the first correct answer you see.

2. Do not spend too much time on any one question. Sometimes the question will seem to have no right answer:

The capital of Alberta is A) Red Deer B) Calgary C) Taber D) Lethbridge

Your teacher may have made a mistake. There may not be a right answer. It is important not to waste too much time trying to answer an impossible question. Choose an answer at random, but circle the question number so you can come back to it later if you have extra time. Go on to the next question. Similarly, if a question is too hard, or you just do not know the answer, choose an answer at random and come back when you have completed all the questions you do know. Use whatever time is left over at the end of the test to tackle these very difficult questions.

3. If the question asks you something you do not know, see if you can cross out any of the wrong answers before you guess:

The capital of Alabama is A) Montgomery B) Birmingham C) Edmonton D) Ottawa

You may not know anything about Alabama. But you do know that Edmonton and Ottawa are Canadian cities. So (C) and (D) must be wrong answers for this question. By crossing out Edmonton and Ottawa, you only have to guess between (A) or (B). That means you have a 50/50 chance of getting it right, just by guessing. By carefully eliminating answers you know must be wrong, you can increase your chances of guessing correctly. Imagine that you only know the answers to half the questions on a multiple-choice test. Normally, your score would be 50%. But if you can eliminate one wrong answer for each question you are unsure about, you could bring your score up to 67%. If you can eliminate two wrong answers for each question you are unsure about, you could raise your score to 75%. [The answer to question 3 is (A). Birmingham is the largest city in Alabama, but Montgomery is the capital.]

4. Do not keep changing your answer. Sometimes the question will seem to have two right answers:

Which of the following is a capital city? A) Ottawa B) Calgary C) Edmonton D) Lethbridge

Choose the answer that seems best to you (Ottawa?) and move on to the next question. Do not keep changing your mind. Research shows that your first choice was probably the right one. Most people who change their answers will change from a correct one to a wrong one. Only change your answer if you are absolutely sure you made a mistake. (For example, if another question on the test reminds you of the right answer.)

5. After you have finished the test, go back to those questions you circled as being too hard or as having no right answer. See if you can answer them now. Take as much time as you have. Never leave a test early, unless you are sure you have answered every question correctly. If you still cannot answer the question, then guess. You have a 25% chance of getting it right anyway; more if you can eliminate one or more of the wrong answers. Never leave a blank on a multiple-choice test.

Offline shaxter8

• LIFE IS GREAT! SMILE!
Re: Useful tips for mulitple choice science
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 05:47:10 pm »
GOOOOD TIPS MAN!

Offline Ghost Of Highbury

• O_o_O lala!
  • SF Farseer
  • Namaskaram!
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 05:47:48 pm »
nice ones
+rep

divine intervention!

Offline sweetest angel

• Oh dear beach I await...
  • SF Geek
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 05:48:23 pm »
nice work  :)
keep it up
"Dont fear the creation, but fear the creator who has created the creation you fear"
"If you educate a man, you educate an individual, but if you educate a female, you educate a nation"
 I DO WHAT I WANT WHERE I WANT WHEN I WANT if mom says ok.

Offline iluvfep

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 05:57:31 pm »
Hey glad I could help!