Author Topic: My IGCSE PHYSICS problem!  (Read 1324 times)

Offline ammarfarook

My IGCSE PHYSICS problem!
« on: June 01, 2009, 08:54:17 pm »
Hi all,
I know this will sound very idiotic and illogical..but it is a problem I've been thinking about while studying for Physics. I was thinking...what if one says that there is nothing such as gravity! And that objects fall on the ground because of the 'stuff' or matter they contain. Matter is bound to have some mass, and so i was thinking that we could  conclude that objects are NOT PULLED to the ground by a force (gravity)...but they merely fall because they have a mass. And to answer why specifically it falls to the ground, we could say that on Earth we have air, and every object's mass or density is compared to our air. If an object has a higher density than air, then air will not be able to carry it and it will it go down because of being heavier than air and NOT pulled to the ground by gravity.
Now, the moon and other planets have their own atmosphere. People say gravity exists on Earth only as an object falls on earth while floats on the moon or another planets. BUT what if the air of the moon(moon does have air but not oxygen) is soooo dense or heavy that no object is heavier than its air. If it was the case then the atmosphere of moon would be able to carry every object and no object would sink or fall.
So my friends i was thinking what if gravity does NOT exist and objects fall or float on every place because of the density of air...please guide me if I'm wrong or tell agree with me
Daydreamer awaiting...

Offline Aodian

• SF Immigrant
Re: My IGCSE PHYSICS problem!
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 09:12:22 pm »
interesting point of view.. but im thinking taking Humans into consideration.. we all have different masses and since density is mass over volume.. im guessing according to ur theory that some of us will float and some of us will sink...

but in retrospect what you're saying does make sense.. but then again if we look to liquids... sometimes different liquids with different densities dont all fall straight to the bottom.. some are suspended.. in ur case somethings would be on the ground whereas somethings would be in mid air.. and some wayyy high above the ground.. im guessing thats a problem for movement..

i hope im answering ur question right and not drifting away from the subject
Music is enough to last a lifetime, but a lifetime isnt enough for music..

ami tomake bhalobashi.. <3

Offline ammarfarook

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 08:41:56 am »
interesting point of view.. but im thinking taking Humans into consideration.. we all have different masses and since density is mass over volume.. im guessing according to ur theory that some of us will float and some of us will sink...

but in retrospect what you're saying does make sense.. but then again if we look to liquids... sometimes different liquids with different densities dont all fall straight to the bottom.. some are suspended.. in ur case somethings would be on the ground whereas somethings would be in mid air.. and some wayyy high above the ground.. im guessing thats a problem for movement..

i hope im answering ur question right and not drifting away from the subject

Thanks for answering....but look humans truly have different masses....but air is made up of gases and we r made up of solid! so even a newborn is much heavier than air..if we were made of helium then everyone would float and no one would say there is any such thing as gravity! Same goes for liquid...they wont be suspended of floating at all...because they r liquids...so even the lightest liquid is heavier than air! which is y all humans and liquids and most gases sink down to the ground..because they are simply heavier than air and not because of being pulled by a gravitational force...think about it

Offline shafeeqshazana

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 08:56:23 am »
Ahhhh but what MAKES objects denser than air sink in air???
GRAVITY.

Offline ammarfarook

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 09:07:22 am »
Ahhhh but what MAKES objects denser than air sink in air???
GRAVITY.

NO...we r made of stuff..matter which has mass....if our mass is light enough for air to carry we will float..but if our mass is heavy for air to carry..we will sink simply as air cant carry us..NOT because we are being pulled! and how can we measure gravity? we can measure mass

Offline nonelee

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 09:08:27 am »
why do you guys take physics chem and biol separately?
and im taking coordinated science for IGCSE? which is a mix.

why?

Offline Aodian

• SF Immigrant
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 09:10:36 am »
why do you guys take physics chem and biol separately?
and im taking coordinated science for IGCSE? which is a mix.

why?

my school doesnt offer coordinated science..
Music is enough to last a lifetime, but a lifetime isnt enough for music..

ami tomake bhalobashi.. <3