Author Topic: IG Chemistry Paper 3 discussion  (Read 22626 times)

nid404

Re: IG Chemistry Paper 3 discussion
« Reply #210 on: June 03, 2009, 01:06:27 pm »
bromine? How many different variants were there? :P
well..it depends on the mole ratio..
for example, in my paper, it was 0.08 moles of silicon reacts with 7.2g of fluorine, the equation given was

Si  +  2F2  ----> SiF4

so, silicon and fluorine are in the mole ratio 1:2
the moles of fluorine given is 7.2/(19x2) = 7.2/38 = 0.189 moles....(we use 38, cuz its diatomic, so we take double the original Ar

so that means, if fluorine is 0.189 moles, then according to the mole ratio, silicon should be 0.189/2 = 0.095 moles...but it is 0.08..meaning, silicon is limiting..

I took the mole ratio(1:2)
so if silicon was 0.08 then fluorine needed was 0.16(0.08x2) which is 0.16x38g(6.08g)
but there was 7.2g, much more than required ans so silicon limiting reagent

different approach but yeah same ans

Offline LoCo93

• SF Immigrant
Re: SaFe To DiScUsS ChEm NoW!!!!
« Reply #211 on: June 03, 2009, 03:15:51 pm »
yeah loco.. I rote silion too... itt had the least amount of moles...

ROCK ON!!! =]  ;D
Urgh.. Bored.. !! help!!! =[

Offline crypsAnity

• SF Citizen
« Reply #212 on: June 03, 2009, 03:18:25 pm »
ahahaha.. yeah n i found that flourine was in excess.. n i knew ahd to rite the oppsite of what i find in excess.. but nawwsss had to be me n rote flourinee! yayyyy .. sighs ..
There is simply more to life than being cool .. =]

Offline LoCo93

• SF Immigrant
« Reply #213 on: June 03, 2009, 03:19:37 pm »
i rote sumthin like add a magneisum (or any metal) ribbon and if its acidic it'll react..  ??? ??? ::) dont kno tho..
But GUYS.... the question asked how you could determine the compounds contained the same COOH group!! Just because it reacts with a base or a carbonate wont tell that its a COOH group.

naa m tlkin abt the one with tells us how do u tell if its an acid.. <3 i gues ther was a different one either that or i totali screwd up  :-\

Offline crypsAnity

• SF Citizen
« Reply #214 on: June 03, 2009, 03:21:34 pm »
errr.. hold on a sec.. there was no question as far as i can remember which wanted to know if it COOH group.. what this? .. it asked about how would u determine ts an acid.. hmmm if thts wht ur talkign abt..
There is simply more to life than being cool .. =]

Offline bibo the wa7sh

« Reply #215 on: June 03, 2009, 03:28:44 pm »
what i think was that the value of the height had nothing to do with the volume, since height was in mm, and volume in cm3. I just remember that, 18 cm3 of aqueous nitrate of T, reacted with 2 cm3 portions of a solution of Na3PO4. The maximum precipitate of the phosphate of T, was reached at 6 cm3 of sodium phosphate. Since both had the same concentration, it didnt really matter, the main thing that mattered was the volume then. Now, we have that the volume of the nitrate of T used was 18, and that of the sodium phosphate was 6. so volume ratio of the nitrate reactant to the phosphate reactant is 18:6 = 3:1, which is also the mole ratio. So if we construct an ionic equation using the mole ratio, we can get ...

PO43-  +  3T+  ---->  T3PO4

when i came home, i opened june 2004 paper 3, of chem, where i remember seeing a similar graph as the one given in the question..

in the june 2004 q, 4 cm3 of aqueous iron (III) chloride, reacts with 2cm^3 portions of aqueous sodium hydroxide..according to the graph..the maximum volume of sodium hydroxide at which the maximum precipitate is formed, is at 12 cm^3..

thus the volume ratio of the chloride reactant to the hydroxide, is 4:12 = 1:3
That means, there will be one Fe3+ ion for every 3 OH- ions..according to the ratio..

the next part of the given is..complete the following reaction..

Fe3+   +   .....OH-  -----> ...........

since ratio is 1:3..itll be 3 OH- forms Fe(OH)2..
the concentration of both reactants is 1moldm-3 which is given..

so the questions are quite similar..and so, i think T3PO4

i dont consider myself a genius, just mixxing familiar stuff with unfamiliar stuff.

Dude I love You!!
I used exact same reasoning!!!!!
Atleast now i know i used valid reasoning!!
Thank you!
I Wote the same thing exactly in ma test ,this is SupeRb!!! 8) ;D :P

Offline aquarian93

• SF Citizen
« Reply #216 on: June 03, 2009, 03:30:43 pm »
u guys for the aq. NaCl question, im scared, i rote H2 at cathode and Cl2 at anode,  bt some ppl are saying its O2 at anode. :(

anyone noes da boundary for an A?

the paper was too long :(

Offline LoCo93

• SF Immigrant
« Reply #217 on: June 03, 2009, 03:31:09 pm »
errr.. hold on a sec.. there was no question as far as i can remember which wanted to know if it COOH group.. what this? .. it asked about how would u determine ts an acid.. hmmm if thts wht ur talkign abt..

yea cryps.. thats wht m tlkin abt.. =]

Offline Shogun

• SF Geek
  • the heavens cry within the arrival of the best
« Reply #218 on: June 03, 2009, 04:12:25 pm »
yea u add any metal carbonates if it fizzes due to liberation of carbondioxide, then its an acid..
one who masters both the pen and paper is indeed a true warrior.

\m/metal head\m/