Author Topic: Additional Math Help HERE ONLY...!  (Read 66417 times)

Offline cooldude

• SF Citizen
Re: Additional Math Help HERE ONLY...!
« Reply #240 on: June 02, 2010, 04:42:29 pm »
HIIII, um, i need help with Q12ii) pleaseeee :)

i knw you integrate the velocity to get the displacement but what values do you sub in?  :o
thanks again. XD

ii) integrate a to find v->
v=1.4t-0.3t^2+k
v=0.5, when t=0, thus k=0.5
thus v=1.4t-0.3t^2+0.5
x=0.7t^2-0.1t^3+0.5t
to find the dist u just have to integrate between the limits, 10 and 0, u dont have to worry about the arbitary constant as when we evaluate definite integrals we dont consider it, so now just substitute the value of 10 in the equation for x as substituting 0 wud give the displacement as 0,
x=70-100+5=-25m

Offline jellybeans

• ,i'm hungry xB
  • SF Senior Citizen
« Reply #241 on: June 02, 2010, 04:45:18 pm »
ii) integrate a to find v->
v=1.4t-0.3t^2+k
v=0.5, when t=0, thus k=0.5
thus v=1.4t-0.3t^2+0.5
x=0.7t^2-0.1t^3+0.5t
to find the dist u just have to integrate between the limits, 10 and 0, u dont have to worry about the arbitary constant as when we evaluate definite integrals we dont consider it, so now just substitute the value of 10 in the equation for x as substituting 0 wud give the displacement as 0,
x=70-100+5=-25m

mmm thats what i did in the first place & got the same answer. but the MS had a different answer ... explanation ? ;D hehs
*whats with the 2x7.5 ?  :-\

thanks
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 04:47:03 pm by jellybeans »
You said I must eat so many lemons cause I am so bitter.

Offline J.Darren

• SF Geek
« Reply #242 on: June 02, 2010, 04:48:50 pm »
HIIII, um, i need help with Q12ii) pleaseeee :)

i knw you integrate the velocity to get the displacement but what values do you sub in?  :o
thanks again. XD

When you are dealing with displacement question, one must be very careful with the velocity, if between the given time frame, the particle experiences a change in the direction of travel (forwards / backwards), then you must do partial integration.
Do not go where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Offline jellybeans

• ,i'm hungry xB
  • SF Senior Citizen
« Reply #243 on: June 02, 2010, 04:52:23 pm »

When you are dealing with displacement question, one must be very careful with the velocity, if between the given time frame, the particle experiences a change in the direction of travel (forwards / backwards), then you must do partial integration.

ohohhh, but why is it 2x7.5? and not just 7.5+25?

Offline cooldude

• SF Citizen
« Reply #244 on: June 02, 2010, 04:53:31 pm »
mmm thats what i did in the first place & got the same answer. but the MS had a different answer ... explanation ? ;D hehs
*whats with the 2x7.5 ?  :-\

thanks

k sorry, its about the particle travelling 7.5m in the positive direction and then going back thus we multiply by 2 and then add the 25 m in the negative direction to find the total dist travelled, first the particle travels in the positive x direction and travels 7.5 m, and then for the next 5 seconds it travels 7.5 m back to the origin and then another 25 m in the negative x direction, thus a total distance of 7.5+7.5+25=40 m, sorry i misread the q, i thought it was askin the displacement not the distance travelled, neway j darren answered ur q
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 04:55:22 pm by cooldude »

Offline J.Darren

• SF Geek
« Reply #245 on: June 02, 2010, 05:03:29 pm »
k sorry, its about the particle travelling 7.5m in the positive direction and then going back thus we multiply by 2 and then add the 25 m in the negative direction to find the total dist travelled, first the particle travels in the positive x direction and travels 7.5 m, and then for the next 5 seconds it travels 7.5 m back to the origin and then another 25 m in the negative x direction, thus a total distance of 7.5+7.5+25=40 m, sorry i misread the q, i thought it was askin the displacement not the distance travelled, neway j darren answered ur q
The question did not mention anything the particles going back after travelling 7.5m in the positive direction, the acceleration gradually slows down after passing through O until it becomes zero at five, from that point onwards the particle is travelling in the negative direction until t = 10 ...
Do not go where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Offline jellybeans

• ,i'm hungry xB
  • SF Senior Citizen
« Reply #246 on: June 02, 2010, 05:06:41 pm »
The question did not mention anything the particles going back after travelling 7.5m in the positive direction, the acceleration gradually slows down after passing through O until it becomes zero at five, from that point onwards the particle is travelling in the negative direction until t = 10 ...

so why do you have to times 7.5 by twooooo? :'( .. i mean how* do you know you have to times it by 2...
is it cuz it travels and then stops.. so you double the distance?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 05:11:53 pm by jellybeans »

Offline J.Darren

• SF Geek
« Reply #247 on: June 02, 2010, 05:14:44 pm »
so why do you have to times 7.5 by twooooo? :'( .. i mean how* do you know you have to times it by 2...
is it cuz it travels and then stops.. so you double the distance?
I have no idea, but it seems that the marking scheme accepts both ...

Offline jellybeans

• ,i'm hungry xB
  • SF Senior Citizen
« Reply #248 on: June 02, 2010, 05:18:56 pm »
I have no idea, but it seems that the marking scheme accepts both ...

lol, okay then. thanks! :)
& thanks to cooldude aswellll, :) :)

... another one ... Q9iii) ?  :-[

Offline cooldude

• SF Citizen
« Reply #249 on: June 02, 2010, 05:23:01 pm »

actually the q wont mention that the displacement is 7.5m u have to find this by calculation, ill show u what i mean, at t=5 sec the displacement is +7.5m
x=0.7t^2-0.1t^3+0.5t
when t=5, x=+7.5m
then the displacement is 0 at-->
0=0.7t^2-0.1t^3+0.5t
at t=7.65 the displacement is again 0 proving that the particle did travel +7.5m in the positive direction between 0 and 5, and then between 0 and 7.65 it again travels back to the origin a further 7.5m, the dist travelled=15m
now for the last 2.35 sec, u can find the displacement, u can integrate between 10 and 7.65 in the displacement, we get -25m, proving that the total dist is 7.5+7.5+25=40 , this should clear things up, if u need more explanation ill be happy to give it

Offline jellybeans

• ,i'm hungry xB
  • SF Senior Citizen
« Reply #250 on: June 02, 2010, 05:31:14 pm »
actually the q wont mention that the displacement is 7.5m u have to find this by calculation, ill show u what i mean, at t=5 sec the displacement is +7.5m
x=0.7t^2-0.1t^3+0.5t
when t=5, x=+7.5m
then the displacement is 0 at-->
0=0.7t^2-0.1t^3+0.5t
at t=7.65 the displacement is again 0 proving that the particle did travel +7.5m in the positive direction between 0 and 5, and then between 0 and 7.65 it again travels back to the origin a further 7.5m, the dist travelled=15m
now for the last 2.35 sec, u can find the displacement, u can integrate between 10 and 7.65 in the displacement, we get -25m, proving that the total dist is 7.5+7.5+25=40 , this should clear things up, if u need more explanation ill be happy to give it

so you have to find out t when displacement = 0 ? ..which will then tell you that it returns to its origin.. and so .. its 7.5 x 2 for going there and back?
 :o
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 05:33:17 pm by jellybeans »

Offline J.Darren

• SF Geek
« Reply #251 on: June 02, 2010, 05:33:33 pm »
ln y = ln a + x ln b

Y = ln y
X = x
m = ln b
c = ln a

ln y = ln A + k ln x

Y = ln y
X = ln x
m = k
c = ln a

Offline jellybeans

• ,i'm hungry xB
  • SF Senior Citizen
« Reply #252 on: June 02, 2010, 05:35:23 pm »
ln y = ln a + x ln b

Y = ln y
X = x
m = ln b
c = ln a

ln y = ln A + k ln x

Y = ln y
X = ln x
m = k
c = ln a

wait sorry.. is that the 3rd bit? :O
cuz for the first two i used logs instead of ln , ...  :-\

anyways; for iii) i did:

px+qy=xy

xy-qy = px
(x-q)y = px
y = px / (x-q)

lol .. and yh. thats how far i got for 9iii) Xb
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 05:38:27 pm by jellybeans »

Offline cooldude

• SF Citizen
« Reply #253 on: June 02, 2010, 05:40:19 pm »
so you have to find out t when displacement = 0 ? ..which will then tell you that it returns to its origin.. and so .. its 7.5 x 2?
 :o

yeah, if u get more than one value it basically tells u that the particle passes the origin at more than one point, i.e. it moves first in the positive direction and then in the negative direction, and then u have to find the distance travelled in the positive and the negative direction, and theres also one more way to find if the particle goes in the positive direction, if u find the maximum displacement and it comes to a value not equal to ur final displacement, i.e. in this q if the maximum displacement is not -25m then u get to knw that the particle has travelled in the positive direction also, for example in this u get the maximum displacement at t=5, i.e. x=7.5m, thus u get to knw that the particle has also travelled in the positive direction and u can take the movement in the positive direction into account

Offline J.Darren

• SF Geek
« Reply #254 on: June 02, 2010, 05:41:40 pm »
wait sorry.. is that the 3rd bit? :O
cuz for the first two i used logs instead of ln , ...  :-\

px+qy=xy

xy-qy = px
(x-q)y = px
y = px / (x-q)

lol .. and yh. thats how far i got for 9iii) Xb
x - q = px / y

(x - q) / x = (px / y) * (1 / x)

(x - q) / x = p / y

1 - q / x = p / y

y = p / (1 - q / x)

would it works ?