Author Topic: IMPORTANT! A2 biology Unit 5 article 2012  (Read 12526 times)

Offline Romeesa-Chan

• Chère
  • Global Moderator
  • SF Overlord
  • "Be the person you want to meet."
Download SF Magazine 2012 here.

Offline Star xD

• SF Senior Citizen
  • I'm back, with a bang. :)
Re: IMPORTANT! A2 biology Unit 5 article 2012
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2011, 10:57:33 am »
Thank you for linking.

I hope a Mod can merge the topics. :)

You're welcome :)

Yeah :)

Offline farhanyen

Re: Edexcel Biology Unit 5 Jan 2012 Article
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2011, 11:09:38 am »
Erm Romeesa I have created a thread for this already. Anyway thanks for the soft copy of the article!!! Please post it here https://studentforums.biz/reference-material-83/important!-a2-biology-unit-5-article-2012/

Offline Romeesa-Chan

• Chère
  • Global Moderator
  • SF Overlord
  • "Be the person you want to meet."
Re: Edexcel Biology Unit 5 Jan 2012 Article
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2011, 11:15:55 am »
I will request for a merge. :)
Download SF Magazine 2012 here.

Offline jackfos92

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2011, 02:11:49 pm »
Thx romeesa!

Anyway, 2012 january's article is so long!

Offline M-H

• SF Master
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2011, 05:32:21 pm »
Its pretty long...indeed. I'll repeat- there's nothing to fear. Trust me! I'll go thru it and post whatever I can. I'll try my best to help you guys. But I need some time like a couple of weeks cos I'm busy as well. Okay? Don't worry, give it a try yourself. :)

Offline MKh

• SF Geek
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2011, 12:00:30 pm »
Salaam all,

This session's article seems very informative and the concepts are presented visually, summarised into key points where necessary and some photographs as well as tables hav been included where necessary to support ur understanding. I think u all will hav fun studying the article.

I suggest read it a couple of times first to allow it to sink in. Get two copies of the article.

If English is not ur first language and u do not understand the meanings of any word(s) within the article, do find out what the word(s) mean. They might be barriers to ur understanding of the article.

Find out what areas of the ur A/L spec r woven into the article and do not forget to revise those concepts thoroughly along with any other concepts that seem relevant.

Use highlighters to highlight key concepts.

Read the article frequently. You might not understand everything on the article after reading it for the first time. So do read it frequently and try to find links to concepts u already know. You might also understand a new thing u might not hav before everytime u read it.

Use google and wikipedia to get more information on unfamiliar contexts mentioned frequently in the article. This might not be asked for in ur exam but this might help u to link ur A/L concepts in the context of the article.

Remember, this is a scientific article so make sure u can explain the facts within the article using ur A/L knowledge and concepts where possible. You might also need to use knowledge and concepts from more than one specification unit to explain ideas.

Learn any relevant GCE Biology definitions and be strict with urself when u do so.

Summarise the article under headings and sub-headings to demonstrate to yourself how well u hav understood the scientific content of the article. Moreover, this will force u to bring ideas given in different parts of the article under one sub-heading using bullet-pointed lists.

The last but the most important one - UNDERSTAND, UNDERSTAND, UNDERSTAND. If u do not understand the scientific article and simply read it for the sake of reading it or rely on ur teachers fully to help u understand it, then it won't work. Once u understand it, u can ask ur teacher to give u questions for practice. But understand it for urself frst.

P.S. This article seems to be linked more strongly to Topic 8 of Unit 5. Do not forget to learn the ethical issues related to experimenting on animals as well as the main imaging techniques used to diagnose brain disorders, tumours and to identify the main location and extent of damage caused to the brain due to strokes, injuries etc.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 01:38:56 pm by MKh »

MFSFSM

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2011, 01:59:46 pm »
Hello Mkh,

I am new to this SF. May I know which board and which unit and which subject and when are u doing your A/L exam???

I am doing Edexcel A/L. I am doing edexcel A/L self studying as well as self teaching presently..

May I know are you doing A/L in school or privately???

May I know which unit of which subjects are the easiest???

I am doing chemistry, physics and biology only.. What about you?? Is self studying a good method or is attending group class a good method??

Need your reply as soon as possible.

Pls answer your reply under Textbooks in same thread/// :) :) :)

Offline M-H

• SF Master
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2011, 03:02:04 pm »
^is she banned or summin?  ::) :o

Offline farhanyen

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2011, 02:04:28 pm »
anything anyone?

Offline jackfos92

« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2011, 02:18:59 pm »
What are the ethical issues concerning DBS?

Offline lynda

« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2011, 01:46:49 am »
What are the ethical issues concerning DBS?

-reference to consent of patients
-DBS has many side effects and contains high risk
-DBS should be done on treatment-resistant disorders only
-the underlying principles and mechanisms of DBS are still not clear. could it be really effective?
-DBS could be misuse in the future to control mind or improve intelligence etc. it should be limited to restore normal functioning of the brain

anyone to correct my answers or add-on?

Offline farhanyen

« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2011, 02:52:30 am »
great especially the 4th one!
to add on
-very invasive treatment

Offline farhanyen

« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2011, 02:17:05 pm »
I searched for Q&A for this article but instead i came across a very extensive set for this 2011 june article.Does anyone have or know where to get sample Q&A for jan 2012 article?

Offline MKh

• SF Geek
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2011, 06:47:19 pm »
I searched for Q&A for this article but instead i came across a very extensive set for this 2011 june article.Does anyone have or know where to get sample Q&A for jan 2012 article?

No dear, i haven't found any yet. Try searching again later and do keep a look at the TSR site. You can create a discussion thread at TSR site as well.
Meanwhile, keep revising the A/L spec. areas woven into the article and also try linking the various concepts in the article.
Create a question bank urself to help test ur understanding and try other questons as well.