Author Topic: Biology AS or A2? (urgent)  (Read 3584 times)

Offline Romeesa-Chan

• Chère
  • Global Moderator
  • SF Overlord
  • "Be the person you want to meet."
Re: Biology AS or A2? (urgent)
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2011, 04:52:08 pm »
Yes, you are right but being practical do you think I can start with A2 while I havent finished my AS course?
I cant wait for my AS to finish and then start with A2 cause either I HAVE to start my A2 course with school or forget about it.  :-\

I did talk to MKH once and she said that its better if I finish off with AS first and then start A2.
Ahh, I talked to my teacher and she simply said its your decision only   ::). Now I am gonna talk to my head teacher and lets see what she has to say about it.

Nope. You cannot.

Hon, it's all about you managing yer time properly.

I suggest you do Istikhara cos God knows best. =]

Salaam angel,

I hope u understand that the jump from IGCSEs/GCSEs to AS is a very big one and so is one from AS to A2 but not as big a jump as that from IGCSEs/GCSEs to AS. We do not have to do the mistake of rushing in such an important part of our academic life. Skills can't b crammed for but they r gradually built up. I hope u understand wut i mean here.

I know it will look good in ur medical application (u r applying for medicine, ryt?) that u hav done all ur 4 A levels in a single year (this is wut u r planning to do, ryt?) but they won't really decide whether to give u a place in medical school on this basis. Atleast this is wut i know.

My suggestions: Don't pressurise urself. Finish ur AS units first because the A2 units r synoptic. Synoptic means u will need to use knowledge from different areas of ur A level course to answer the questions asked. First take the AS units with ur A level board and see wut u hav to do differently the next time. The A2 units r also a bit more advanced than the AS ones and the topics in the A2 units require a much deeper understanding than those in the AS ones. After all, the A level grades r used by institutes worldwide to decide who to give a place and who to not and ofcourse many other things matter as well but wut i mean is that u can't take risks here, can u dear? I strongly suggest u to start with AS at school, see how it is and ofcourse study at home as well. Divide ur AS units between the January '12 and June '12 exam sessions. But do remember, do not underestimate A levels. If while doing AS at school u think u can also do the A2 units, u can always start studying for A2 at home and take the exams if u wish.

In the Edexcel A2 Biology units this year, we were also tested on different areas of the AS course. Indeed the A2 topics build up from the AS ones. Haven't u noticed in the Edexcel A2 Biology textbook how the different topics r built up from the AS topics?

But everything is possible if u r willing to work hard and achieve ur goals successfully. On the other hand, studies aren't supposed to make things difficult for us. We study so that we become better humans and live happily. I don't want to sound like a granny but atleast these r the suggestions that i wud giv u as a sister.

If u wud like to ask anything, u r always more than welcome to ask. Hope it helps dear. Take care and Good Luck.

Excellent.

Thank you, sister. =]

Hope Ang3l chooses the best decision. =)
Download SF Magazine 2012 here.

Offline Malak

• Honorary Member
  • SF Farseer
  • A warm smile is the universal language of kindness
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2011, 05:17:11 pm »
Salaam angel,

I hope u understand that the jump from IGCSEs/GCSEs to AS is a very big one and so is one from AS to A2 but not as big a jump as that from IGCSEs/GCSEs to AS. We do not have to do the mistake of rushing in such an important part of our academic life. Skills can't b crammed for but they r gradually built up. I hope u understand wut i mean here.

I know it will look good in ur medical application (u r applying for medicine, ryt?) that u hav done all ur 4 A levels in a single year (this is wut u r planning to do, ryt?) but they won't really decide whether to give u a place in medical school on this basis. Atleast this is wut i know.

My suggestions: Don't pressurise urself. Finish ur AS units first because the A2 units r synoptic. Synoptic means u will need to use knowledge from different areas of ur A level course to answer the questions asked. First take the AS units with ur A level board and see wut u hav to do differently the next time. The A2 units r also a bit more advanced than the AS ones and the topics in the A2 units require a much deeper understanding than those in the AS ones. After all, the A level grades r used by institutes worldwide to decide who to give a place and who to not and ofcourse many other things matter as well but wut i mean is that u can't take risks here, can u dear? I strongly suggest u to start with AS at school, see how it is and ofcourse study at home as well. Divide ur AS units between the January '12 and June '12 exam sessions. But do remember, do not underestimate A levels. If while doing AS at school u think u can also do the A2 units, u can always start studying for A2 at home and take the exams if u wish.

In the Edexcel A2 Biology units this year, we were also tested on different areas of the AS course. Indeed the A2 topics build up from the AS ones. Haven't u noticed in the Edexcel A2 Biology textbook how the different topics r built up from the AS topics?

But everything is possible if u r willing to work hard and achieve ur goals successfully. On the other hand, studies aren't supposed to make things difficult for us. We study so that we become better humans and live happily. I don't want to sound like a granny but atleast these r the suggestions that i wud giv u as a sister.

If u wud like to ask anything, u r always more than welcome to ask. Hope it helps dear. Take care and Good Luck.
Okay, there is a huge misunderstanding here :P

I am NOT planning to do 4 A-levels in one single year. I have finished my 4 AS this year (physics, chemistry, math and ICT).
I planned to drop ICT in A2 and take biology as it is more relevant to medicine than ICT.
I thought of finishing the AS Bio in the summer holidays but as it turned out I couldnt finish all of it.
Now my question is, should I start with A2 while i am also covering up the AS part which i couldnt finish (mostly unit 2)?

I have two choices, either i start A2 and cover up the AS part as well OR I totally forget about the A2.

I hope you got it now?  :-\

Thanks for your advice. :)

If you are a man who degrades women then allow me to respectfully remind you that you came from ONE

Reminder to myself: Stop worrying and start working

SF magazine 2012 - Download here

Offline MKh

• SF Geek
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2011, 06:28:12 pm »
You r always welcome.

Offline Malak

• Honorary Member
  • SF Farseer
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2011, 06:31:30 pm »
You r always welcome.
Ummm...  ::)

My question remains  :-[
Is it sensible if I start with A2 now?  :-\
If you are a man who degrades women then allow me to respectfully remind you that you came from ONE

Offline Romeesa-Chan

• Chère
  • Global Moderator
  • SF Overlord
  • "Be the person you want to meet."
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2011, 06:38:34 pm »
Ummm...  ::)

My question remains  :-[
Is it sensible if I start with A2 now?  :-\
You can't start A2 without AS. Finish AS then start A2. ;)
Download SF Magazine 2012 here.

Offline Malak

• Honorary Member
  • SF Farseer
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2011, 06:42:04 pm »
You can't start A2 without AS. Finish AS then start A2. ;)
Like I said before, I dont have a choice. If i start A2 then it is with my school and i.e. within few days. I cant wait for my AS course to finish and then start with A2.

I guess, i'll talk to me head teacher about it.

Everyone, thank you!!! :D

Offline MKh

• SF Geek
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2011, 08:09:27 pm »
Ohhk angel, srry it took me too long to actually reply u properly but here's my suggestion:

First option: You can study the other subjects at A2 level and Bio at AS level with ur school, can u not? You may ask ur school about it. And then u can apply for medicine in ur home country explaining to them that u r preparing for ur A2 Bio or u can take a gap year, complete Bio at A2 level and then apply. But u may not waste a whole year doing Bio at A2 level. Whether this option is available to u or not depends on what ur school says regarding this and whether u wud like to opt to do so or not.

Second option: Is there any kind of acceleration programme at ur school to cover A levels in a single year? I hope they won't mind if it's only one A-level subject that u want to study within a year. Can they arrange something of this sort for u? Whether this option is available to u or not depends on whether ur school can arrange such programme for u.

Third option: Like u said, ur school starts within a few days. You can learn a few basics in the meantime, can u not? Get the AS Bio specification, understand wut u need to know, read those texts from the textbook, get the revision guide and have a quick overview. You may learn a lot of things in this way. Familiarise urslf with the content of AS Bio, link the AS Bio areas to the A2 Bio course and read those. Remember my dear that AS is a progression from the IGCSEs/GCSEs so u may find that ur IGCSE/GCSE Bio knowledge and concepts sometimes overlap with that of ur AS Bio knowledge and concepts. It is not that difficult to grasp those basics from the AS Bio course in a matter of a few days although u may not b able to cover the whole specification fully. Later when u start ur A2 with ur school, u can cover some parts of the AS Bio specification regularly. It might appear to b very tough at first and you may need to work extra hard to avoid being left back but it is surely worth it. I will INSHA ALLAH post a few tips on how u may begin to grasp those basics but till then try urslf to learn some concepts.

I hav tried my level best to help u but if u hav any further questions, u may feel free to ask anytime. Hope i helped. Wish u all the best.

Offline MKh

• SF Geek
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2011, 08:14:25 pm »
And i m really srry for misunderstanding u but that is why i asked whether what i think u r doing is what u actually r.

Take care.

Offline Malak

• Honorary Member
  • SF Farseer
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2011, 09:23:05 pm »
^ Unfortunately the first two options dont fit me ::) I am not ready to take a gap year in anyway :P and never to only study A2 bio :o

Secondly, i am applying for UK. I meet their entry requirements as they need 3 A-levels and 1 AS and it needs to be either Chem and bio both at a-level or one at AS and the other as an A-level. I have chem as an A-level and I will be having bio as an AS, if not A2.

I think i will go with the third one and By the way I did study a bit of bio this summer so I kinda know the basics and it might take me another 2-3 months to finish the AS course fully, till then I will have to cope with the load. I need to get used to it anyway cause medicine is too much studying ::)

Thanks A LOT for helping me out. :D

Yeah, you need to post the tips  ;D I'll be waiting.

Take care and good luck with your studies.