Author Topic: Re-taking a B and a C?  (Read 1829 times)

Offline mentalfiction

Re-taking a B and a C?
« on: August 13, 2011, 12:52:43 pm »
Hey guys, so I got my results and I got a B in Math, a B in Physics and a C in Chemistry.
I'm planning on doing Engineering (Mechanical, Mechatronics, Aeronautical, etc somewhere along those lines), and though most universities (if not all) accept B's in both Math and Physics, I still want to re-take at least Math (oh and Chemistry too definitely)
Here's the problem though...a lot of people say it's best NOT to re-sit your exam and try to raise your grade for your A2's. Some universities had stated that too T__T

And I KNOW I can do better in Math, and apparently you can still get an A* in A2 with a B, sooo....what should I do?
To re-take or not to re-take, that is the question -_-

Offline Arthur Bon Zavi

• |Sun of Tomorrow... =]|
  • SF V.I.P
  • Fiducia in questo uomo ciecamente.
Re: Re-taking a B and a C?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 12:57:50 pm »
... you can still get an A* in A2 with a B, sooo....what should I do?

Are you sure ?

Continuous efforts matter more than the outcome.
- NU

Offline DrEvil

• The Gifted One!
  • Honorary Member
  • SF Overlord
  • Love all, trust a few!
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 01:02:06 pm »
Re-take Re-take Re-take!  :)

Don't even think about getting an A* from a 'B' grade... It happens VERY rarely and only in those years in which papers are extremely difficult and grade thresholds are extremely low.

You may be very good in maths but why take the risk? Simply go for a Re-take! Its for the best.  :)

“When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before.”

Offline mentalfiction

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 02:30:53 pm »
Okay~ so I guess I'm retaking XD

Should I retake them ALL or just Math and Chemistry?

Amelia

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 02:39:34 pm »
Okay~ so I guess I'm retaking XD

Should I retake them ALL or just Math and Chemistry?

Physics is important in the field of engineering. So, I suggest you re-take them all.

Make sure, you work harder this time.  ;)

Offline mentalfiction

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 03:07:02 pm »
I was hoping NOT to do Physics again because well, most unis put more emphasis on Math than Physics and I don't want to crowd myself with all the subjects. Got me thinking when my mom said, what if you end up doing bad on your A2 exams if you concentrate to much on your AS.

Which leads me to my next question, when should I do it? Oct/Nov or May/June?
Oct/Nov has the advantage that I'll still have my holidays and I can get over with the exams now, but October is less than two months away and this is how much time I had for my AS anyways, I don't wanna end up doing the same as before >.<
May/June leaves me with a lot of time, but then I'll be studying for my A2 AND my AS soo~

I think October is better? (as much as I hate to admit it lol)

Offline DrEvil

• The Gifted One!
  • Honorary Member
  • SF Overlord
  • Love all, trust a few!
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 03:23:48 pm »
I was hoping NOT to do Physics again because well, most unis put more emphasis on Math than Physics and I don't want to crowd myself with all the subjects. Got me thinking when my mom said, what if you end up doing bad on your A2 exams if you concentrate to much on your AS.

Which leads me to my next question, when should I do it? Oct/Nov or May/June?
Oct/Nov has the advantage that I'll still have my holidays and I can get over with the exams now, but October is less than two months away and this is how much time I had for my AS anyways, I don't wanna end up doing the same as before >.<
May/June leaves me with a lot of time, but then I'll be studying for my A2 AND my AS soo~

I think October is better? (as much as I hate to admit it lol)

Two months time is not enough to study for three science subjects especially chemistry. You shouldn't hurry so much. Prepare well and give the papers in May/June 2012.
But if you think that you can do all the preparation for these three papers in just two months, then go for it but again do think thrice before opting for this option. Its for your own good. :)

“When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before.”

Offline mentalfiction

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2011, 03:31:25 pm »
Two months time is not enough to study for three science subjects especially chemistry. You shouldn't hurry so much. Prepare well and give the papers in May/June 2012.
But if you think that you can do all the preparation for these three papers in just two months, then go for it but again do think thrice before opting for this option. Its for your own good. :)

That's what I thought so I decided I'd give Chemistry (or any one subject) in October/November and the rest in May/June.
Does that make sense?

Offline DrEvil

• The Gifted One!
  • Honorary Member
  • SF Overlord
  • Love all, trust a few!
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2011, 03:33:56 pm »
That's what I thought so I decided I'd give Chemistry (or any one subject) in October/November and the rest in May/June.
Does that make sense?

Yeah, that's a good option. :)

Offline mentalfiction

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2011, 03:42:45 pm »
Alright then
Thanks guys for the help! :D

Offline DrEvil

• The Gifted One!
  • Honorary Member
  • SF Overlord
  • Love all, trust a few!
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2011, 03:46:03 pm »
Alright then
Thanks guys for the help! :D

No problem!  :D
Just do your best in the exams!  ;)

Offline Shoshou..Mony

• Retired Admin~!
  • Honorary Member
  • SF Overlord
  • I WILL make a change inshAllah. =]
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2011, 02:20:16 am »
You can resit 2 subjects this Nov session. I mean 2 months would be more than enough for sitting subjects you got a B in, because a B means you got good knowledge of that subject and sitting for 2 more months solving pastpapers would be fine.

All you need to do is sort your time out and have a plan to follow.

Anyways in your A2 almost all the AS will be repeated again. If you took P1 Math, then it'll ALL be repeated again in the A2, so studying for AS would mean you're studying for A2 also. It won't waste your time or make you get bad grades in A2, but in fact it'll help you improve.

I suggest you retake both Math and Physics since you got a B in those and leave the AS Chemistry for the May/June session.

Sometimes, ALLAH breaks our heart to make us whole.
Sometimes, ALLAH allows pain so we can be stronger.
Sometimes, ALLAH sends us failure so we can be humble.
Sometimes, ALLAH takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything HE gave us.

When Allah leads you to the edge of difficulty... either ALLAH will catch you when you fall or ALLAH will teach you how to fly! =]

Please make them strong ya Allah...

Romeesa-chan...<3

Offline Romeesa-Chan

• Chère
  • Global Moderator
  • SF Overlord
  • "Be the person you want to meet."
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2011, 08:58:36 am »
Does that make sense?

I agree. =]

Give Chem in Nov Session. Phy+Math in June along with the A2s. =]

It'll be a good revision for you as well. :D

Good luck. ;D
Download SF Magazine 2012 here.